dcsimg

5" ro sander or rectangular sanders, which do you prefer?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 175 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  r-ice 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 161 through 176 (of 176 total)
  • Author

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

I like the 5″ ro sander over the ¼ sheet sander any time.
    In fact I haven’t used the ¼ sheet any more now I have the RO 5″ and 6″ sander.

You might get a RO with 5″ and 6″ interchangeable backing plate.
    I prefer 5in over 6in sanders for regular work. Just easier to use.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Mine had the 2 backing plates.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

As does mine

I prefer the 5 to get everything smooth, then (depending on the size of the workpiece) switch over to the 6 inch to make everything glassy and level.

Also like the 6 (again, on larger surfaces) for light passes between coats

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

As does mine

I prefer the 5 to get everything smooth, then (depending on the size of the workpiece) switch over to the 6 inch to make everything glassy and level.

Also like the 6 (again, on larger surfaces) for light passes between coats

For deep sanding, I prefer to use belt sander.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Most all of my sanding needs are done with my 18 volt 5″ ROS these days.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Each type of sander has its place in my book for furniture work, and I use them all. I use the belt sander for large material removal. I have two random orbit sanders which are good for general sanding, but because they sand in circles, you can see the cross-grain scratches when I put finish on. So I do final sanding with 220 grit on a 1/4 sheet oscillating sander (or sometimes a rubber sanding block for small pieces) to get the final surface.

Doobie
    Pro

Check this Sander Manual at http://www.manualbirds.com/manuals/makita-sander-user-manual-291499, you will see the difference.

Troll!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Check this Sander Manual at http://www.manualbirds.com/manuals/makita-sander-user-manual-291499, you will see the difference.

Troll!

SPAM and cheese!

@chadm

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Anonymous

I use both orbital and rectangular. PT wood gets the 5″ 90% of the time, but i finish my Ipe’ with a 1/2 sheet rectangle sander 🙂

yellaD
    Pro

Dust extraction as you sand makes a big diff for me so I use a 6in Festool Rotex for when fast removal is needed, a 5in Mirka Deros I just got for moving up grits, and a delta sander for inside corners when necessary. All are used with dust extraction.

The abrasive you use is important as well. Most stuff sold in BB stores is pretty lousy.

I use the Rotex 6″ RO and a DTS 400 delta sander for corners. I donated my 1/2 sheet and handheld belt sander because they didn’t have dust extraction.
    BIG DIFFERENCE in enjoyment levels.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Dust extraction as you sand makes a big diff for me so I use a 6in Festool Rotex for when fast removal is needed, a 5in Mirka Deros I just got for moving up grits, and a delta sander for inside corners when necessary. All are used with dust extraction.

The abrasive you use is important as well. Most stuff sold in BB stores is pretty lousy.

I use the Rotex 6″ RO and a DTS 400 delta sander for corners. I donated my 1/2 sheet and handheld belt sander because they didn’t have dust extraction.

I only have a porter cable 5 inch random orbital. I’ll eventually have to look for a newer and nicer one. I wouldn’t mind either the rotex or the mirka’s

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

I donated my 1/2 sheet and handheld belt sander because they didn’t have dust extraction.

Seems I’m the only one with a dedicated sanding station?
    Just a box with a pegboard top and a piece of 4″ PVC through the side to hook up to the DC. Sand away, and the sawdust disappears through the top of the box. Vary the suction by covering different parts of the top.

yellaD
    Pro

I donated my 1/2 sheet and handheld belt sander because they didn’t have dust extraction.

Just a box with a pegboard top and a piece of 4″ PVC through the side to hook up to the DC. Sand away, and the sawdust disappears through the top of the box. Vary the suction by covering different parts of the top.

I was going to incorporate a little area like that in something else, maybe like my sharpening pond/stones area.
    Did you caulk or seal the inside of the box?

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I tend to use belt, orbital and standard sanders on most of my projects. Each have their uses and specialties

1/2 sheet is a go to for larger areas and field work. A random orbit is good between finish coats and final sanding at higher grits. I like an orbital delta for corners too. I dual mode replaced my belt sander and it has much better DC anyway.

Orange County, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

When I rearrange my shop, I may do this, as this would make the most amount of sense. I wonder if it would be counter productive if I have a hose coming in from each side .

Viewing 16 posts - 161 through 176 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.590 seconds