dcsimg

5" ro sander or rectangular sanders, which do you prefer?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 175 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by r-ice.
Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 176 total)
  • Author

If someone in montreal has the festool, I have the Bosch. Would be fun

Which two sanders for this duel to the death are we referring to?

Bosch ROS65 against any RO Festool can bring up
    Bosch 1297 against any sander that can go into corners.

Anyone have an RO90? That would be a fair fight, I think

Doobie

How is that 1297 for inside corner work? Doesn’t that type of sander chatter in the corners compared to a delta head sander?

How is that 1297 for inside corner work? Doesn’t that type of sander chatter in the corners compared to a delta head sander?

Replaced a B&D Mouse and a 2.5amp OMT… so I would have to say it handles very well. BUT, Ive never compared it to something like the Delta Festools….

I mostly like that I can use a regular sheet up to any grit on the 1297. Fun to take a butcher block past 1000 grit, even if ultimately useless.

Doobie

I mostly like that I can use a regular sheet up to any grit on the 1297. Fun to take a butcher block past 1000 grit, even if ultimately useless.

Actually, if you go really fine, you can end up sealing the wood to a lustery glass like finish. My friend did that with some super fine grits for some stuff. Can’t recall if they were cutting boards though.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like the 5″ ro sander over the ¼ sheet sander any time.
    In fact I haven’t used the ¼ sheet any more now I have the RO 5″ and 6″ sander.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

I prefer 5in over 6in sanders for regular work. Just easier to use.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Yeah, me too.

But I’ve got a pile of the things. All the motors work and all of them vibrate. And all of the pads have crapped out except the one on a 45+ year old Craftsman that has a felt pad (that has a broken paper clip). And no, I’m not forcing the sanders.

Does anyone replace the pads, or do you just chunk them? I just can’t bring myself to throw stuff away – especially if it almost works.

What do you replace the pads with? The price on replacement pads is out the roof – plus shipping. I figure that there’s something out there by the square yard for about the same price as one pad.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Actually, if you go really fine, you can end up sealing the wood to a lustery glass like finish. My friend did that with some super fine grits for some stuff. Can’t recall if they were cutting boards though.

Yah i’ve done that with my pens, unfortunately the higher grit sanding doesn’t last very long. You have to seal it and then sand some more.

Yah i’ve done that with my pens, unfortunately the higher grit sanding doesn’t last very long. You have to seal it and then sand some more.

Thats what I mean by useless. Its more for fun than any permanence.

Maybe for something that can develop a real patina from use, that you intend to keep raw…

As far as the 5 and 6″ sanders that’s the beauty of the Bosch. Mine comes set for both! I can’t speak highly enough of the machine.

As far as the 5 and 6″ sanders that’s the beauty of the Bosch. Mine comes set for both! I can’t speak highly enough of the machine.

Im annoyed with the dust chamber though. I got the paper filter wet accidentally, and I cant find anywhere to just get a new cartridge filter. I have to buy the whole filter assembly, for almost US$60 plus shipping. Dont need the plastic casing….

But I mostly just hook up to a vac and DD anyways, but wish I still had the option

Doobie

Im annoyed with the dust chamber though. I got the paper filter wet accidentally, and I cant find anywhere to just get a new cartridge filter. I have to buy the whole filter assembly, for almost US$60 plus shipping. Dont need the plastic casing….

But I mostly just hook up to a vac and DD anyways, but wish I still had the option

Have you tried contacting Bosch? Maybe there is a replaceable paper only but retailers don’t generally carry.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Did the water ruin the filter? You can probably rip it out and hot glue a piece of automotive filter on there.

Did the water ruin the filter? You can probably rip it out and hot glue a piece of automotive filter on there.

I have some spots that mushed over, but a lot of good surface area remains. Ive lost efficiency, but not enough to justify the replacement costs…. waiting to hear back from Bosch on just the cartridge instead of the assembly. Cant believe they don’t just sell the filter…

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Hmm I guess the filter isn’t the same as automotive then. I’ve hosed down my lawn mower filter and let it dry and it worked fine after.

Doobie

Hmm I guess the filter isn’t the same as automotive then. I’ve hosed down my lawn mower filter and let it dry and it worked fine after.

I did that woth my filter every so often too for the last 6-7 years. Finally last month I went and spent the $10 for a new one. Boy, there was a noticeable difference right away. I think I had overdone it trying to reuse it so long.

How did you get the dust chamber wet?

Orange County, CA

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I did that woth my filter every so often too for the last 6-7 years. Finally last month I went and spent the $10 for a new one. Boy, there was a noticeable difference right away. I think I had overdone it trying to reuse it so long.

Haha, 7 years might be pushing it a bit unless you have a yard size of a stamp (which is my case).

How did you get the dust chamber wet?

Caught a case of the stupids

Got careless, and left it next to a water hose (had taken it off to use the shop vac). Hose got turned on, soaked the filter

Doobie

Haha, 7 years might be pushing it a bit unless you have a yard size of a stamp (which is my case).

It’s not. 🙁

It’s got a Honda engine. So it can take a lack of TLC somewhat.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.799 seconds