dcsimg

5" ro sander or rectangular sanders, which do you prefer?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 175 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  r-ice 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 176 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

I love my 1/2 sheet sander and it is a must-have for furniture work IMHO. Flat is flat and orbitals work great on the edges of doors and sides. RO sanders are good between finishes and other sanding, but I get better results with my 1/2 sheet. You just need to learn how to move it across the material.

What make/model do you have @mrtooljunkie?

I have the Festool RS2E and it is great. I have thought about saving up for the Bosch version that gets great reviews as well – the vibration control might be better on it, but it does not have the hook & loop pad.

Do you use it for inside corner work much? I’ve been wanting both really, wanting a big flat sander and something for inside corner work like the DTS 400 delta sander.

I use it mostly for edges and field work where I need a flat surface. I also use the DTS400 and that is a gem of a sander — great for corners and the pad is curved so you can go right next to an edge without the sander skittering about. The only downside to the DTS400 is the pads wear pretty fast, especially on the corner. But if you do not press hard and let the weight of the sander do its thing it is not a huge deal – just the cost of the consumable like the paper. That combo is great for furniture work. I also have the RO90, but prefer the delta pad of the DTS better.

That’s valuable feedback to me Scot. They are two that I will likely be buying in the near future.

I’ve been retiring my older sanders for better more modern sanders. I started that process by buying the Rotex 150 years ago, and although it is very versatile, you still end up yearning for more dedicated type sanders. Sander purchases were on hold for the last few years, but now I’ve resumed my quest for a better sander arsenal.

Last month I bought a 5in Mirka Deros and a variety of Abranet abrasives. Haven’t even had the time to try it yet, but I read so much abput it, I know I will like it once I do. Glad I didn’t get the Ceros a few years ago. The seperate transformer might have drove me nuts even though it would have been pretty well 100% use within my small shop.

What about the Duplex 150 LS 130? I’ve often thought about getting that one for speciality situatioms, and I also like that it’s a linear sander. Do you have that one by chance, or what are your thoughts on it?

And having both the RO90 and the DTS 400, would you simply say that onve you uave the DTS, there’s not much point of getting the RO90? Or is there an area where the RO90 is just irreplaceable?

And having both the RO90 and the DTS 400, would you simply say that onve you uave the DTS, there’s not much point of getting the RO90? Or is there an area where the RO90 is just irreplaceable?

I have the Rotex 125 and the Rotex 90. I like the 90 for the smaller pad. It worked great for me recently sanding some round legs. It was easier to handle than the larger model. The fact you can change to the triangle head makes the tool that much more versatile.

What about the Duplex 150 LS 130? I’ve often thought about getting that one for speciality situatioms, and I also like that it’s a linear sander. Do you have that one by chance, or what are your thoughts on it?

I do not have the LS sander – it could be useful in some situations, but have never had enough molding at one time to justify it. It looks like a nice sanders, though. The RO90 is versatile since you get the three applications in one machine. It is great for a lot of things and so for me there is a need for both. If I had to only have one — tough decision. For woodworking only, the DTS400 would get the nod. For general purpose, the then RO90 wins – I use it lots of construction tasks and woodworking tasks. I just think the orbital DTS400 works better for fine woodworking.

Orange County, CA

Doobie
    Pro

I have the Rotex 125 and the Rotex 90. I like the 90 for the smaller pad. It worked great for me recently sanding some round legs. It was easier to handle than the larger model. The fact you can change to the triangle head makes the tool that much more versatile.

I forgot/missed that in my recent assessments that the RO90 has the Delta capability as well. Thanks for bringing that up.

Now I’m wondering how well the delta on the RO90 compares in use and performance to the DTS 400 dedicated delta shaped model.

So many damn sanders, I’m losing my mind already revisiting this.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would love to have the Rotex 90 too for the detail triangle head. It would work so much better than the POS I use now.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I love my 1/2 sheet sander and it is a must-have for furniture work IMHO. Flat is flat and orbitals work great on the edges of doors and sides. RO sanders are good between finishes and other sanding, but I get better results with my 1/2 sheet. You just need to learn how to move it across the material.

What make/model do you have @mrtooljunkie?

I have the Festool RS2E and it is great. I have thought about saving up for the Bosch version that gets great reviews as well – the vibration control might be better on it, but it does not have the hook & loop pad.

Do you use it for inside corner work much? I’ve been wanting both really, wanting a big flat sander and something for inside corner work like the DTS 400 delta sander.

I use it mostly for edges and field work where I need a flat surface. I also use the DTS400 and that is a gem of a sander — great for corners and the pad is curved so you can go right next to an edge without the sander skittering about. The only downside to the DTS400 is the pads wear pretty fast, especially on the corner. But if you do not press hard and let the weight of the sander do its thing it is not a huge deal – just the cost of the consumable like the paper. That combo is great for furniture work. I also have the RO90, but prefer the delta pad of the DTS better.

That’s valuable feedback to me Scot. They are two that I will likely be buying in the near future.

I’ve been retiring my older sanders for better more modern sanders. I started that process by buying the Rotex 150 years ago, and although it is very versatile, you still end up yearning for more dedicated type sanders. Sander purchases were on hold for the last few years, but now I’ve resumed my quest for a better sander arsenal.

Last month I bought a 5in Mirka Deros and a variety of Abranet abrasives. Haven’t even had the time to try it yet, but I read so much abput it, I know I will like it once I do. Glad I didn’t get the Ceros a few years ago. The seperate transformer might have drove me nuts even though it would have been pretty well 100% use within my small shop.

@doobie I know you kind of answered yourself already but that RO90 has the delta pad and man, it is really a nice feature to have. Especially when cleaning up after having used the high Rotex mode. One nice feature about the delta head is the curved edges so you don’t really bounce all over the place when contacting walls.

Doobie
    Pro

@doobie I know you kind of answered yourself already but that RO90 has the delta pad and man, it is really a nice feature to have. Especially when cleaning up after having used the high Rotex mode. One nice feature about the delta head is the curved edges so you don’t really bounce all over the place when contacting walls.

I have switched from wanting the 400 to the RO90 more or less. While it is a bit more money, it does way more. They also sell a pre-filled Systainer with a host of its abrasives custom designed just for it. That appeals to me as well.

I have switched from wanting the 400 to the RO90 more or less. While it is a bit more money, it does way more. They also sell a pre-filled Systainer with a host of its abrasives custom designed just for it. That appeals to me as well.

You really cannot go wrong – what do you intend to do with it most? The DTS has more pad so can sand larger areas in the Delta mode. The RO90 has the triple function and is best for smaller areas like rails and stiles and the inside corner of stairs and such. It takes a little more to get used to with the balance, but it is a nice sander all around.

Orange County, CA

Doobie
    Pro

You really cannot go wrong – what do you intend to do with it most? The DTS has more pad so can sand larger areas in the Delta mode. The RO90 has the triple function and is best for smaller areas like rails and stiles and the inside corner of stairs and such. It takes a little more to get used to with the balance, but it is a nice sander all around.

I’m looking at the RO90 primarily as a corner sander. What I might do is see if I can try both of them first before buying.

I could also simply buy all three I’m interested in and return any I feel I don’t want, but that’s dangerous as I’m apt to keep all of them doing that.

@doobie I couldn’t agree more. The RO90 DX is an awesome machine and the Rotex mode is crazy with the amount of material it takes off. I’m not going to get the 150 on account of my ROS65VCL. You’d be hard pressed to find a machine that will beat it. Absolutely awesome machine and with my RO90 I have all bases covered. Corner work with the RO90 is awesome, and I think the video I shot last year showed it in action with my Bosch, working corners. It really is an awesome machine.

@chrisk1970, don’t discount the Bosch 1/2 sheet sander. I believe you would like to have that in your arsenal of sanders also. It complements that ROS65VCL quite well.

Funny that @pi_woodworker ! Lon, I have been incredibly busy the last couple of mo this and haven’t been posting as much but I am saving my points! That is on the short list of what I want currently. I don’t have a sheet sander and from what I have seen that sander is really the cats meow and supposedly works quite well with the DC, kind of like its round brother the ROS!

I don’t have a sheet sander and from what I have seen that sander is really the cats meow and supposedly works quite well with the DC, kind of like its round brother the ROS!

I have both and the dust collection is the same – fantastic. The anti-vibration is the same on both too. Definitely relatives so to speak.

I absolutely love the way the ROS is put up on those metal “pedestals” allowing the vibration control to kick in. I read that the 1/2 sander had the same set up. My Wife was using the ROS for a remodel of our master and she was using that for extended periods without complaint. It’s honestly a real pleasure to use. I think I have 30k or 40k to go but by God I’ll get there!!!!

Doobie
    Pro

@doobie I couldn’t agree more. The RO90 DX is an awesome machine and the Rotex mode is crazy with the amount of material it takes off. I’m not going to get the 150 on account of my ROS65VCL. You’d be hard pressed to find a machine that will beat it. Absolutely awesome machine and with my RO90 I have all bases covered. Corner work with the RO90 is awesome, and I think the video I shot last year showed it in action with my Bosch, working corners. It really is an awesome machine.

Thanks for your input. Makes deciding easier.

I would love to try the Bosch RO and compare it to my Festool ETS – I have read lots of great things on it and love the technology.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would love to try the Bosch RO and compare it to my Festool ETS – I have read lots of great things on it and love the technology.

That would be a interesting comparison to see.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

It would and whats better is it would be an actual review, not some fluffed up stuff we read about on the innerweb.

It would and whats better is it would be an actual review, not some fluffed up stuff we read about on the innerweb.

If someone in montreal has the festool, I have the Bosch. Would be fun

Doobie
    Pro

If someone in montreal has the festool, I have the Bosch. Would be fun

Which two sanders for this duel to the death are we referring to?

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.759 seconds