dcsimg

5" ro sander or rectangular sanders, which do you prefer?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Thanks for all the great info, i believe a 5″ro is in my future! I think i’ll take the advice on using the ro for the rougher work, and keep my trusty old 1/3 sheet sanders loaded with finer grits, that will save some time switching paper all the time too. I don’t mind hand sanding some parts too, especially smaller edges, i find using a block by hand i can keep from rounding over the edges better. I’ve been buying my paper from lordco lately, quality 3m sheets cost me i think $0.77, but i’ll have to check if they have 5″round sheets. About this card scraper, is that something that takes time to learn? I’d be interested in trying it out, and where would i be able to buy one? Thanks again for all the help

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I thought the sheet sanders from bosh are orbital sheet sanders.

1297D 1/4-Sheet Orbital Finishing Sander

Most sheet style sanders are just orbital and leave swirl marks. Random orbit leave less. Some people will opt for linear sanders that when used correctly leave no marks and best imitate hand sanding but of course a lot faster. There’s no sander out there that can do everything. For many, you need a few of them if you want to avoid some hand sanding.

hmm never knew that, mind you i’ve always had a Random orbital sander from Porter, i have been thinking of getting a second one as my wife likes to help me with projects.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

For shop work I think I would like having a nice … air sander.

Have often thought about getting an air sander, but I know how much oil my other air tools spit and one drop is too much much on wood.

About this card scraper, is that something that takes time to learn? I’d be interested in trying it out, and where would i be able to buy one?

Scrapers seem about as crude as a hatchet for woodworking but deliver a glass-smooth surface. I got mine in a pack from Rockler, but any WW store will have them. As far as use and ‘sharpening’ (you’re cutting with a small burr), Google is your friend. Watch some videos.
    Yes, there’s a learning curve for efficiency, but you should be drawing shavings (like a plane) by your third stroke. Shavings are good, dust is bad.
    To save wear and tear on on your hands make a holder out of some scraps of wood and a few bolts. The scraper is normally held flexed and it wears out your thumbs. The scraper also gets quite warm.

Have often thought about getting an air sander, but I know how much oil my other air tools spit and one drop is too much much on wood.

About this card scraper, is that something that takes time to learn? I’d be interested in trying it out, and where would i be able to buy one?

Scrapers seem about as crude as a hatchet for woodworking but deliver a glass-smooth surface. I got mine in a pack from Rockler, but any WW store will have them. As far as use and ‘sharpening’ (you’re cutting with a small burr), Google is your friend. Watch some videos.
    Yes, there’s a learning curve for efficiency, but you should be drawing shavings (like a plane) by your third stroke. Shavings are good, dust is bad.
    To save wear and tear on on your hands make a holder out of some scraps of wood and a few bolts. The scraper is normally held flexed and it wears out your thumbs. The scraper also gets quite warm.

Or get the Veritas set at Lee valley. Includes a holder and sharpening guide.

Not hard to learn, but I never found them easy to use. Forgiving but a lot of work

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

overanalyze wrote:

Newer air sanders are close to oil free in actual use. The lubricating oil from your compressor is about all they need to run well.
    Go for an industrial model to get the advantages of the new technology. ARO/Ingersoll-Rand offer composite bodies for comfort as well as very effective dust collection options. Dynabrade and CP/Atlas Copco have good alternatives also.
    Plan on a compressor delivering 15cfm or more to power one small air ROS

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I forgot my Porter Cable buffer came with a sanding backing plate. Has anyone used this type of RO sander? The RO sanders I’ve seen looks like the palm sander I have where pressure is applied in line with the pad. Mine looks like a grinder. Just wondering if there will be a difference.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Shouldn’t be a problem, you aren’t suppose to bear down on it anyway. My old ROS has a rear handle and a nub in front to grab onto.

I forgot my Porter Cable buffer came with a sanding backing plate. Has anyone used this type of RO sander? The RO sanders I’ve seen looks like the palm sander I have where pressure is applied in line with the pad. Mine looks like a grinder. Just wondering if there will be a difference.

Not really,

The first RO polishers were the PC ones, which were just RO sanders with a softer backing plate. I have the Meguiers version

The real difference is that modern sanders have some form of dust control, while the car ones do not. Car polishers have a slightly different rotation too, but not in a way that is relevant

The big issue for me is that I would not dare let a machine that might have loose grit (or sanding debris/dust) anywhere near my car paint. Too easy to add scratches.

I would also really miss the dust capture when sanding

Either way, your polisher will do the same job, but possibly in a more messy way (no dust control) and may contaminate the machine such that a hell of a cleaning is required before letting it back to the car.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

That’s a good point, one particle of sanding medium and your car paint could be ruined.

Not really,

The first RO polishers were the PC ones, which were just RO sanders with a softer backing plate. I have the Meguiers version

The real difference is that modern sanders have some form of dust control, while the car ones do not. Car polishers have a slightly different rotation too, but not in a way that is relevant

The big issue for me is that I would not dare let a machine that might have loose grit (or sanding debris/dust) anywhere near my car paint. Too easy to add scratches.

I would also really miss the dust capture when sanding

Either way, your polisher will do the same job, but possibly in a more messy way (no dust control) and may contaminate the machine such that a hell of a cleaning is required before letting it back to the car.

Didn’t think about the dust control part. Thanks! I haven’t used the sanding backing plate yet and no I’ll probably never will as long as I’m using it to polish cars. Great info!

Doobie

They have lots of scraper options at Lee Valley. This is just one….

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,310&p=61448

Look in their sub category of Scraping in their Woodworking menu for more.

overanalyze wrote:

Newer air sanders are close to oil free in actual use. The lubricating oil from your compressor is about all they need to run well.
    Go for an industrial model to get the advantages of the new technology. ARO/Ingersoll-Rand offer composite bodies for comfort as well as very effective dust collection options. Dynabrade and CP/Atlas Copco have good alternatives also.

Definitely have to have some good air supply! This would be the one I would get if/when I go that route. I called and talked to a rep and he said for what I would need this would be more than enough plus it is fully re-buildable. I think these are Made in The USA too…
    http://www.abglovesandabrasives.com/dynabrade-59009-5-dia-central-vacuum-dynorbital-spirit-random-orbital-sander-25-hp-12-000-rpm-3-8-10-mm-dia-orbit-rear-exhaust/

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

I’m a 5″ r.o. fan..

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

overanalyze wrote:

Definitely have to have some good air supply! This would be the one I would get if/when I go that route. I called and talked to a rep and he said for what I would need this would be more than enough plus it is fully re-buildable. I think these are Made in The USA too…
    http://www.abglovesandabrasives.com/dynabrade-59009-5-dia-central-vacuum-dynorbital-spirit-random-orbital-sander-25-hp-12-000-rpm-3-8-10-mm-dia-orbit-rear-exhaust/

Dynabrade is a good choice. The dust skirt and central vac outlet will keep the shop clean, too.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Dynabrade makes great pneumatic ROS sanders. They come in different models, sizes, type of pads, along with different sized radius patterns. You have to pay attention to what you are ordering because of that. I made the mistake of buying some without a dust collection port.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Thanks for the info on the scrapers, i’ll have to check into those, maybe pick one up and learn on some scrap. Also think i gotta get a ro sander, see what comes on sale!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thanks for the info on the scrapers, i’ll have to check into those, maybe pick one up and learn on some scrap. Also think i gotta get a ro sander, see what comes on sale!

if you have a local leevalleys the scrapers are dirt cheap. sharpening them is also really easy if it doesn’t come with one just use a screwdriver

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Is’t screwdriver shaft too soft to burnish the scrapers?

Doobie

Is’t screwdriver shaft too soft to burnish the scrapers?

That’s what I thought. But I don’t use them.

Lee Valley shows the ones they have as either carbon steel or hardened steel.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32642&cat=1,310,41070

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32643&cat=1,310,41070

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’m thinking if you have a carbide spiral cut router bit, I bet it’ll work wonderfully.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.927 seconds