dcsimg

5" ro sander or rectangular sanders, which do you prefer?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 175 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  r-ice 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 176 total)
  • Author

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I’ve always used 1/3 sheet sanders, i have 2 of them, but reading on this forum it seems like most of you guys use the 5″ random orbit sanders. Is it just a preference or do they perform better? I find sanding to be one of the least enjoyable but also most important chore in woodworking to getting the nice finish we all want on our projects, and if the round ro sanders work better then i’d like to get one. I looked at a makita and milwakee corded units yesterday, both felt like quality machines. So, are they better? Thank you

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

ROS removes wood much faster than sheet sanders, so I spend less time doing it, which makes me happy.

I prefer the rectangular sanders they fit better in my hand. Im a girl with small hands so the size, weight, etc all factor in when I am comparing and buying a new tool!

ROS removes wood much faster than sheet sanders, so I spend less time doing it, which makes me happy.

Entirely different beasts. RO is the job you can do by hand, sped up by a million with no imperfections in technique. A sheet sander takes longer and you better move it well or it will leave marks.

RO and belt are the only handheld sanders worth having nowadays in my opinion. RO for sanding, belt for leveling by sanding

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

It really depends what I’m sanding on what sander I will use. On cabinets everything I sand gets done with a 1/2 sheet sander first. Then if I need to get a finer finish (removing the sanding swirls) I will use a 5″ orbital with a 100 micron paper.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Right a ROS is to get a final finish. The rectangular sander should be used to remove the imperfections and on flat surfaces get them flat.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro

Dust extraction as you sand makes a big diff for me so I use a 6in Festool Rotex for when fast removal is needed, a 5in Mirka Deros I just got for moving up grits, and a delta sander for inside corners when necessary. All are used with dust extraction.

The abrasive you use is important as well. Most stuff sold in BB stores is pretty lousy.

Right a ROS is to get a final finish. The rectangular sander should be used to remove the imperfections and on flat surfaces get them flat.

It depends. I have a Festool 6″ ROS, it’s a beast at removing paint, or sanding rough. They make a rectangular sander that I have heard puts an incredible finish on wood…much better than my RO.

For what I do, I don’t need to go crazy with sanding. The finish manufacturer recommends sanding to 150 and that’s it. I put that baby on RO, throw a 150 on it and grind it. I use it almost like a car polisher. A light touch, let the sandpaper do it’s work and it stays very flat.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

ROS, by far. I can do inside corners with a block if I have to.
    I’ve been using a Genesis for a couple of years and really like the power. A sanding table hooked to the DC collects almost all the dust with no hose on the sander.
    I also have a 6×48″ belt sander and like the wide variety of available grits.
    All my sheet sanders are in a pile in the back of the cabinet.

For inside corners, I have a delta pad that attaches to a smaller Festool sander I have. Works fantastic. It was hard to get used to though.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

I prefer a r.o sander.. they remove material way faster than sheet sanders. i have the milwaukee and love it along with the bosch 6″ both are amazing sanders. the milwaukee replaced the makita i had for 10 years, the bearings were replaced once and the pad twice on it.. with the bearings starting to go again , figured it was time for a new one.. about 6 years ago i bought a dewalt but hated it.. it was extremely jumpy and hard to control

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Seems like everyone covered the bases pretty well. I am thinking about getting the 1/2 sheet Bosch.

amulder
    Pro
    London, ON

I prefer the rectangular sanders they fit better in my hand. Im a girl with small hands so the size, weight, etc all factor in when I am comparing and buying a new tool!

I don’t really understand this… I don’t find that the ROS that I have (dewalt + PC) are any larger to hold than the dewalt 1/4 sheet sander that I have. Have you tried out others in stores?

www.wordsnwood.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I rarely use my 1/4 sheet sander…it’s just too slow. It does leave a smoother finish than the ROS with the same grit, but it’s not something I can’t overcome by going one or two grits finer.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

So if I’m understanding this correctly, a RO sander is between a belt sander, and a palm sander/1/4 sheet sander?

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’ve never thought of it like that, but yeah I guess you could say that.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So if I’m understanding this correctly, a RO sander is between a belt sander, and a palm sander/1/4 sheet sander?

Delta

Yes I’d say so and some can be very aggressive like the festool Rotex in rotex mode. It’s like a grinder.

For inside corners, I have a delta pad that attaches to a smaller Festool sander I have. Works fantastic. It was hard to get used to though.

I’ve used the DTS 400EQ on the inside corners and it’s works great.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

I’ve used the DTS 400EQ on the inside corners and it’s works great.

I’ve had that one on my wish list of sorts to upgrade from using my fine woth a delta pad. Thing is, Festool stuff has really jumped in price since our dollar has been plunging here in Canada, so it’s kind of on hold for now for me to buy. 🙁

Seems like everyone covered the bases pretty well. I am thinking about getting the 1/2 sheet Bosch.

I got one of those as a reward awhile ago. I follow up my ROS sanding with the 1/2 sheet sander (220 grit normally). It leaves a very nice finish. The high Bosch ROS sander and 1/2 sheet are a great combo.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I thought the sheet sanders from bosh are orbital sheet sanders.

1297D 1/4-Sheet Orbital Finishing Sander

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.607 seconds