dcsimg

4100 vs. GTS1031

Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Now I have the new bigger model, and I have both positive and less positive thoughts on it

Eric,
    Thank you for your thoughts on both the table saws.
    Just too bad that the dust collection on the 4100 isn’t as good and needs modifications.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

well the 4100 is gettting close to being 10 years old.. with teh reaxx saw coming shortly it may have dust collection improvements on it.. until we physically see it its hard to say

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I came up with a solution for the riving knife not able to retract all the way and too thick for 7.25″ blade (or other thin kerf blade), theoretical at this moment since I missed the last deal and price went way up after.

It should be as simple as marking the proud section and take it off, then surface grind the section to thickness of 7.25″ blade mostly from the right side, but some from the left side as well to make it perfectly inline with blade. It would be further away from the back of blade though, so it’s also necessary to bevel the front edge of the knife to a point, in case wood close from internal stress it can slide into the kerf again.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Anyone know if there is a dust collection bag for the GTS1031 ?
    I see one for the 4100 saw . Will it fit?

Yup. I got it for my GTS1031 before moving up to the 4100. Worked better on the 1031 because dust doesn’t drop out the bottom

@jzmtl
    I would think just filing down a single side would be sufficient if you were to make a modification like that. You just need it biased on one side that’s unchanged. Motor flange mounts on the left, sawblades don’t shrink too much on the left side aside from the kerf-plate difference.

It appears the 4100’s riving knife is removable from the assembly, I saw someone make a modified version to mount a SS dust collector/overhead guard on their 4100 using the original as a template.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Yup. I got it for my GTS1031 before moving up to the 4100. Worked better on the 1031 because dust doesn’t drop out the bottom

Thank you @Montreal_Medic . I usually just sweep the mess but had it all over the snow last week and couldn’t clean up. I will have to get the bag!

Thank you @montreal_medic . I usually just sweep the mess but had it all over the snow last week and couldn’t clean up. I will have to get the bag!

No problem. It wont get everything with just the bag, but the 1031 does blow most out the rear port on its own, and the bag will keep the cleanup simple

The tiny bit thats left can be hidden under a shovelful of snow and will be fertilizer in the spring – not enough to chocke the grass

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like to stick the Ridgid shop vac on it.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Did you ever try the bosch vac? Did it make a diff over the ridgid (thats what I have now and wonder if the bosch is worth the upgrade)

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Did you ever try the bosch vac? Did it make a diff over the ridgid (thats what I have now and wonder if the bosch is worth the upgrade)

I think it would make a difference because the Bosch has more CFM than the ridgid vac

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The big Ridgid has a big fat hose that fits right on the 1031 exhaust port. The hose on the bosch will not fit on the port. I don’t have any info on a adapter for it.

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

The company I work for has that same Ridgid vac . I will have to try that! Thanks Dirty.
    I did order the collection bag for when the vac isn’t available.

Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.368 seconds