dcsimg

4100 vs. GTS1031

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

So amazon is having a Bosch sale right now, and I’ve been thinking about upgrading my mastercrap table saw. I keep going back and forth between these two models, just not sure which will work better for my purpose.

The first requirement would of course be precision, often I need to cut stuff within 0.5 millimeter (or 1/64″ for our neighbors down south), or shave that much off a stock. From what I can tell both should be equal in this regard.

2nd requirement would be mobility. Since I don’t have an indoor workshop I need to haul the saw outside and back in. 4100 has folding stand and wheel, but GTS1031 and stand just take apart and easily carried with two hands so it wins here.

Often I work with smaller stocks, but there are also times I need to rip 10 or 12 ft lumber, or even resaw them into planks. I’m not sure if the GTS1031 has enough stability for this given it’s small stand/footprint, so I guess 4100 wins here.

Opinions?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Do you own a track saw (sorry can’t remember)? I have the 4100 and love it. If I was doing it again after getting the track saw I would go for the GTS1031. I just don’t need the capacity of the 4100 and the foot print is bigger then what I need for a TS these days. All I use it for is ripping small pieces. and 2x material.

I’d put the GTS1031 on a Gravity Rise stand and have a oout feed for longer material.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have the 4100…and it’s a fairly big saw. It’s not the mostly portable thing, but I manage. As for accuracy, I haven’t measured, but that’s because I haven’t felt the need to. It’s quite accurate.

Out feed supports are available for the 4100, but I’m not sure if the fit the 1031 or not. If so, you might put them on he smaller saw and have great portability as well as the support you need.

Fwiw, I have zero complaints about the build quality of my 4100. Ifs heavy and makes a huge mess when I use it, but otherwise it’s great.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Do you own a track saw (sorry can’t remember)? I have the 4100 and love it. If I was doing it again after getting the track saw I would go for the GTS1031. I just don’t need the capacity of the 4100 and the foot print is bigger then what I need for a TS these days. All I use it for is ripping small pieces. and 2x material.

I’d put the GTS1031 on a Gravity Rise stand and have a oout feed for longer material.

No track saw, I don’t really use sheet material often so I just use either table saw/roller stand, or straight edge/circular saw.

Out feed supports are available for the 4100, but I’m not sure if the fit the 1031 or not. If so, you might put them on he smaller saw and have great portability as well as the support you need.

I don’t think the outfeed or left extension would fit, but either way if it’s too long for the table I can always put a roller stand behind the saw.

Have the GTS1031 and love it.

I dont have a real track, but the 18v circ saw and FSN rail is what I use for big sheets, and everything else goes on the TS.

Precision and stability are about the same – that stand is solid!

I added an Incra Miter Express and 1000SE, which gave me even better crosscut, and the ripping is great. Ive run a bunch of 8/4 birch though it without it complaining, even doing better than some big iron contractor saws

GTS1031 is the smallest big saw Ive ever used.

Instead of roller stands, use the glide flip-top sides.

any saw needs outfeed for long pieces, even big cabinet saws. The rip capacity is the biggest factor, and if you can cut down sheet goods away from a table saw, you can do anything with either of these saws

yellaD
    Pro

Interesting thread. So you guys are saying that if you do NOT have track saw system, get the 4100 to process sheet goods easier. If you already have a track saw (or intend to get one) or do not need to process sheet goods, get the 1031.
    Also the rip capacity is bigger on the 4100?
    Both fit on the T4 gravity stand as well as the foldable table?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Well, that’s how my post reads, but to be honest, get a track saw and then pick the saw that you like the best. 🙂

Both are nice saws, the 4100 can cut sheet goods but if you expect to cut 3/4″ ply with great precision by yourself make sure you have a nice outfeed table or a helper IMO. The outfeed supports you can get will NOT support a full sheet of 1/2″ or larger.

Brad T

Interesting thread. So you guys are saying that if you do NOT have track saw system, get the 4100 to process sheet goods easier. If you already have a track saw (or intend to get one) or do not need to process sheet goods, get the 1031.

Im saying that I HATE cutting sheet goods on a table saw, especially when Im alone. All saws, even cabinet ones with permanent support and outfeed are a PITA for 4×8 sheets.

Given that, I prefer finding a way to bring the saw to the work instead. Since thats the only time I need a rip capacity of 24 inches or so (which the 4100 can do) it means I dont need the 4100 at all.

The GTS1031 has a smaller rip (18, I think) but I use it to cut wood boards, not sheets, so that is plenty. Motor is powerful, and I can make precise cuts.

It lacks the soft start ( a really nice feature) but, for the portability and space savings, that was a fair trade-off

Each saw has its own stand, with the 4100 having a gravity rise and the 1031 having a fold-flat stand (takes just about no space when stowed away)

I think Im saying that if space matters, the 1031 is a spectacular choice. Add a track, and you arent even sacrificing.

The 4100 CAN rip sheet goods down the middle, but unless you plan to do that, I dont really see the benefit of the bigger tool (although it is also a really really nice saw)

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m not sure I agree with that. I own a track saw and a 4100…wouldn’t trade either!

Yes, the rip capacity is bigger on the 4100… It sure about the stands.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

We all agree that we love our Bosch saws, and that we all recommend a track saw too though 🙂

My “almost a track saw” kit of FSN with the 18v is a good way to do it for less if you already have the saw, but I will be going after a real track saw one day, when I can justify the cost of the Festool. Maybe by then Bosch will have one on our side of the pond to also consider

Back on the table saw topic, I find the baby saw just as good as its big brother, and like it better than the 4000 that the 4100 replaced (I used the 4000 quite a bit with my BIL, and liked it a whole lot – but it pales in comparison to the newer generation)

If you have the time to wait though, the Skilsaw worm version of the GTS1031 and the Reaxx evolution on the 4100 both look like they will be even better

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

That’s good to hear, I was worried about the stand might topple over easier than the 4100 gravity rise.

That’s good to hear, I was worried about the stand might topple over easier than the 4100 gravity rise.

Never. Very wide stance with “bent knees” to really make it sturdy.

You could tackle it and it would stay upright

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The GTS1031 is easy to move around. I’ve taken mine up 3 flights of stairs for the last 3 days with no problem.
    Oh and yes it will shave a RCH with no problem for those in the trades. See the van down there…. So glad I have the small sliding chop saw and small table saw.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

If you have the time to wait though, the Skilsaw worm version of the GTS1031 and the Reaxx evolution on the 4100 both look like they will be even better

those two saws gonna be amazing. i would like to try them out

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

The GTS1031 is easy to move around. I’ve taken mine up 3 flights of stairs for the last 3 days with no problem.
    Oh and yes it will shave a RCH with no problem for those in the trades. See the van down there…. So glad I have the small sliding chop saw and small table saw.

lol

Do you set it up on your keter tables? That small slider is on my wish list as well. that’s a lot of stairs!

Brad T

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have the GTS1031 and love it. I also have the folding stand. It is very solid. The stand takes very little room in the truck. Saw cuts and runs very smooth. I would like to get the track saw one day. Even though I have a large table saw at home I hate wrestling that full sheet on the saw.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I don’t think I’ll get the reaxx version, too expensive especially consider it’ll be a brand new tool. The Skil version might be interesting though, totally forgot about it. Hmm, I’ll have to think about it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think I’ll get the reaxx version, too expensive especially consider it’ll be a brand new tool. The Skil version might be interesting though, totally forgot about it. Hmm, I’ll have to think about it.

I have the 4100-09 and love it, The 1031 will also fit on the gravity rise stand GR2000 or GR3000 with modification. Your better off getting the GR2000 as it comes with mounting plates, Of course probably not the best for climbing 3 flights of stairs LOL. I think I’d rather carry it without a stand at all

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I think I’d rather carry it without a stand at all

hhmmm. Interesting as I am looking at getting the 8″ sliding miter saw and will put it on my GR that my axial glide is on (it will be permanently in the shop) and I was looking at the disconnects for the miters saws. It would be nice at times to have them not all as one unit. I never take the axial glide off as it is an absolute tank to move around, but the little guy should be easy.

I wonder if something similar could be done for the GTS table saw? A quick release method on top of a GR??

Brad T

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

lol

Do you set it up on your keter tables? That small slider is on my wish list as well. that’s a lot of stairs!

I jus had small rips to do and a lot of times when I get to the job site there are saw horses still around and lumber. I just had it out the back kitchen door on the horses.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.728 seconds