dcsimg

4100 saw not moving

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Mostly oak and poplar. A little bit of pine here and there.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Maybe @boschtoolsservice can help out with this issue.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

. It just seems like these saws jamb up more than they should. I just was wanting to know if it was more common with the 4100 than other table saws.

My Dewalt 745 used to get gummed up, but never to the point that wouldn’t move. As for the Bosch, the culprit is the poor dust collection. Many members have modified their saws to help with the dust. If I had to guess, I’d say that those guys aren’t experiencing the sticking gears issues anymore.

My Dewalt would get gummed up too. Having a vac attached seemed to prevent it from happening for me.

Has anyone else ever had problems with the 4100 table saw jambing up and not wanting to crank up and down we have 2 and they both seem to do this. One got so bad that we had to take it in to repair it.

Dust is mostly the problem . But sometimes a bent arm could get caught up sometimes .

Always willing to learn .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have never had a problem with mine and it get used a lot with a lot of pine which is the worst for gumming things up. It does take regular cleaning from a blow gun to keep the gears clean. I do have a PC that has that issue however. It was a lot cheaper saw also. the only problem I have had with mine was that the blade would spin at about 1/2 speed. I took it in and they replaced something in the electronics.

I have had this 4100 for probably 6 or 7 years

. It just seems like these saws jamb up more than they should. I just was wanting to know if it was more common with the 4100 than other table saws.

My Dewalt 745 used to get gummed up, but never to the point that wouldn’t move. As for the Bosch, the culprit is the poor dust collection. Many members have modified their saws to help with the dust. If I had to guess, I’d say that those guys aren’t experiencing the sticking gears issues anymore.

My Dewalt would get gummed up too. Having a vac attached seemed to prevent it from happening for me.

I have some pretty aggressive modifications on my 4100 that prevents dust from blowing out through the hole where the motor and arbor slide up and down from and now I notice that the threaded rod and shafts are effectively clean and my 4100 goes up and down much better than it used to after some cuts.

I also run it with a vacuum with a cyclone in front.

I have some pretty aggressive modifications on my 4100 that prevents dust from blowing out through the hole where the motor and arbor slide up and down from and now I notice that the threaded rod and shafts are effectively clean and my 4100 goes up and down much better than it used to after some cuts.

I also run it with a vacuum with a cyclone in front.

Can you share pictures of these modifications? I don’t have a 4100, but it may generate some ideas for how to correct on other models of saws too.

@robotmaster5379

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/4100-dust-control-modifications/

I’ve made further modifications but I won’t be updating the topic until they’re finished and in finalized state. One of those is how the right side has a shroud that can move when the sawblade is tilted. I don’t know how other saws handle the extension for the fence but on the 4100 there is a rod that is part of the extension action that lets me pull my shroud extension right over it.

In all honestly the left side is the biggest problem with sawdust getting stuck into the lifting mechanism.

I picked up the rear dust plate from the NAINA version of the saw, but haven’t installed it yet. All the holes align though

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@robotmaster5379

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/gqxMoGBgEVg?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I’ve made further modifications but I won’t be updating the topic until they’re finished and in finalized state. One of those is how the right side has a shroud that can move when the sawblade is tilted. I don’t know how other saws handle the extension for the fence but on the 4100 there is a rod that is part of the extension action that lets me pull my shroud extension right over it.

In all honestly the left side is the biggest problem with sawdust getting stuck into the lifting mechanism.

That’s the kinda stuff I need

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@reflector

How does that mod work? I’ve been contemplating adding a Saw Stache or EPDM to fill that very gap…hoping it will make the vac more efficient in the process. It seems to me that if you can contain the dust in the blade housing area, other modifications might be unnecessary.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@jponto07

The piece on the left I have folded in such a manner it’ll roll over and slide as the motor climbs up. The rest of the housing effectively was a lot of that black shelf liner material as a flexible “boot” to ensure dust would only go into the housing.

I did further modifications recently but I haven’t had a chance to finalize and test them. One of them involves adding some internal ductwork to pull some of the suction towards the front of the sawblade. That modification I would really recommend against most people from doing as I’ll be bearing full responsibility for my own sawblade and saw. I noticed that Mafell has a kind of an airflow diverter inside the housing of the MT55cc track saw to pull suction up towards the front where the cut is being made.

Otherwise the other modification I did was to ensure I could tilt the saw and have the sealing on the right side of the saw still. I used an elongated piece and ran it above the rod that is used for the extension.

There is one further modification I’d like to make. I’d like to add some thickness to the front of my own ZCIs. That way the dust can actually go lower before it gets ejected into the housing where it’ll get pulled by the vacuum instead of being ejected out towards the front and covering the front of the saw.

After all these modifications are done, I suspect I can remove the stuff from the front and back of the saw as well as the sides since all the dust is captured right after the cut is made. It already was doing pretty well before, I only had a little sawdust building up at the front and rear right under the table and on the ledges of where the plastic base meets the table. Those were the spots I didn’t have any sealing on.

Again, I hope Bosch will of made some modifications to the new REAXX design (Versus the 4100) or would offer some kind of retrofit kit that would put a “boot” around the housing and tabletop. Bosch could easily achieve 100% below table dust collection.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

The piece on the left I have folded in such a manner it’ll roll over and slide as the motor climbs up. The rest of the housing effectively was a lot of that black shelf liner material as a flexible “boot” to ensure dust would only go into the housing.

I’m assuming you found a solid shelf liner, not one of the ones with the diamond pattern with the holes. How did you attach it to the saw? Any pictures?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@jponto07
    The shelf liner I used were these:
    Con-Tact Brand Industrial Solid Grip Non-Adhesive Non-Slip Shelf and Drawer Liner, 18-Inches by 4-Feet, Dimples Black
    Con-Tact Premium Ribbed Shelf Liner, 18″ x 15′ Roll, Clear

Attachment was via double sided tape for some parts and foil tape or underlayment tape. I’ll upload more recent photos of the current state of my 4100 in the future once I finish some changes. Currently the 4100 looks a lot cleaner in terms of the shelf liner attachment. As of now the most current photos are like this:

@robotmaster5379
    I saw that Dewalt did some sealing to ensure dust doesn’t escape between the gap between the table and shroud for one of their saws. Images attached for reference. The way its designed it looks like it was done day 1 on the design.

After seeing that Dewalt I’m really hoping Bosch has made modifications to the REAXX.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.366 seconds