dcsimg

3D printing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 103 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  kswiss 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Author

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

typically either ink or toner printers use a color combination to output a shade of specific color in very small areas and when the big picture comes out it looks like an image. really, thats all it is is an image on paper, very thin. these 3D printers are literally using building material of sorts and then printing in layers really. instead of ink, they may use a “concrete” kind of composite or something like that. Obviously that printer needs to be supplied with the raw materials and then its really just a machine doing the work of building or “printing” the page. The more into the details you get and the more elaborate it gets the less it sounds like a “printer” as we all know it. but thats just me talking.

Fundamentally you are correct. It constructs something on a nano level layer by layer. The printer term comes from the analogy used to explain the process in lay terms.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I found this article online – this technology is eventually going to change everything.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20140816/NEWS/308160038/Here-s-what-every-Marine-should-know-about-3-D-printed-food

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I found this article online – this technology is eventually going to change everything.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20140816/NEWS/308160038/Here-s-what-every-Marine-should-know-about-3-D-printed-food

Interesting.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Won’t be long till we see what they showed on the Jetsons. Anything you want at the push of a button.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Won’t be long till we see what they showed on the Jetsons. Anything you want at the push of a button.

Being able to print food is all well and good but where the hell is my jet pack?!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I think that replicator tech is def closer then we think. I don’t know if that’s good or bad…

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I forgot about that cartoon and the technology. Fiction and cartoons are the sources for future tech. Think of Dick Tracy and the cell phone.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Being able to print food is all well and good but where the hell is my jet pack?!

A jet pack does sound fun!

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

A jet pack does sound fun!

Jet pack might be a lot of fun if you ever could get the hang of it. Could be a painful learning curve. I don’t remember George Jetson ever getting the hang of fling with one. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Interesting idea of “printing” foods. I think they should first make it economical for inanimate things. I don’t know how I would feel about eating something like that.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Imagine walking into a restaurant and there is a food printer at each table. Just punch in your order and watch it print out. no more cooks.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

here is a article on printing roof panels that would assemble like Logos and replace the sheet steel roofs so often seen in developing countries.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3037129/3-d-printed-plastic-could-replace-not-very-good-corrugated-iron-roofs-in-the-developing-worl

we are getting closer to the whole house.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Every time I read this stuff It never ceases to amaze me.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Another article on printing homes. I see this as getting closer and closer.

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/3d-printing-homes-223421156.html

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Another article on printing homes. I see this as getting closer and closer.

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/3d-printing-homes-223421156.html

This is coming an will revolutionize the way homes will be built. By the way great article, Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Well as a person working in a big company, we use to make all of our parts for aircraft cockpits from fiberglass, we would make a mold, then a reverse mold then make the actual part, so it was time consuming. Now we have our own 3D printer, and have a bigger model for bigger parts as well.
    It does save time, and it can run 24 / 7 . that is the unfortunate, so some people will unfortunately loose their jobs.

That being said, I am hoping this will not happen in the construction field.

Anonymous

Well as a person working in a big company, we use to make all of our parts for aircraft cockpits from fiberglass, we would make a mold, then a reverse mold then make the actual part, so it was time consuming. Now we have our own 3D printer, and have a bigger model for bigger parts as well.
    It does save time, and it can run 24 / 7 . that is the unfortunate, so some people will unfortunately loose their jobs.

Wow that’s an amazing thing, I can’t imagine it taking over like the interiors of cars though. Most of that plastic is blow molded or whatever, I would assume that would stay cheaper

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

that is the unfortunate, so some people will unfortunately loose their jobs.

Unfortunately, It may be the only thing that allows the construction industry to survive. In the slow down that started in 2007 – 2008, a significant amount of people left the industry. They are not coming back. Labor shortages in the industry abound and technology like this may be the only way that the industry is able to keep up with the demand. If it is not something like this the labor will have to come from immigration.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

<P>that is the unfortunate, so some people will unfortunately loose their jobs. </P>
    <P>That being said, I am hoping this will not happen in the construction field. </P>

<P>Unfortunately, It may be the only thing that allows the construction industry to survive. In the slow down that started in 2007 – 2008, a significant amount of people left the industry. They are not coming back. Labor shortages in the industry abound and technology like this may be the only way that the industry is able to keep up with the demand. If it is not something like this the labor will have to come from immigration.</P>

I hope not, I have nothing against imagration, My Grandfather came to Canada from Jersey Island back in the 1920 ‘s after returning from the war. and my Grandmother came over to Canada in the 20’s also from Ireland, and my Moms parents also , to Ontario from Poland . so what a mix, I hope that the younger generation can keep the skill trades of all the very talented people here on the forum and around the construction industry. we will have to keep up to date . and keep our faith.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

WE are in a somewhat rural area, but we still see that the younger generation is not real interested it the type of work we do. if it does not have a keyboard attached and a touch screen, they don’t seem interested.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.551 seconds