dcsimg

3D printing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 103 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  kswiss 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 104 total)
  • Author

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

here is an exert from an article i recently read on 3D Printing. we discussed this a little a while back and I thiught it was interesting. I had said this would be happening some day.

An all-printed house may be closer than you think. “Construction is the last human endeavor that isn’t automated,” says Behrokh Khoshnevis, a professor of industrial and systems engineering at the University of Southern California, who is working to change that situation. Khoshnevis is the inventor of Contour Crafting, a supersized application of 3D printing aimed at producing entire concrete buildings.

“So far, my funding is from NASA,” which hopes to use the technology in building that Mars base, Khoshnevis explains. But if all goes to plan, the effort will also support development of an earthbound house printer. “I don’t have a crystal ball,” he says, “but if there is sufficient funding, in two years I will make the first machines available for commercial use.”

the link to the full article

http://www.customhomeonline.com/design/3d-printers-are-about-to-change-your-life.aspx?dfpzone=home

I personally thinks its cool, but if they mainstream that…we are all in serious trouble.

Now, I like what they said about it building an outpost on say Mars. Now that’s interesting enough.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I dont think it’s impossible, but the list of questions just goes on and on and on. where do you start ? It’s like creating materials and putting them together all in one step; weird.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

they say they can do it with concrete. I would see metallic inks used to create wiring in the walls as it prints them. the concrete would use lightweight aggregates and could be a type of insulating concrete and a thin outside layer would be printed to waterproof it.

I definitely see this someday.

Thatkid
    Pro

It sounds possible but hopefully it never replaces all of us.

so you’d need a giant printer like the size of a house? how much would one of these cost and who would be able to afford one?

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Should be fun to remodel. Lol

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I could see components being made. You could have a basic utlites room then just add on.

Ceiling would be a pain to print in place.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Just a bunch of robots, think of like robots on cranes like they build cars on assembly lines? planes, boats, etc…

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

they already have cranes that work this way for setting steel on buildings. think of a bridge crane in a factory but computer controlled and with a print head instead of a hook.

While it would be expensive, at one time carpenters thought a skill saw was expensive or an air nailer. If you look at the number of forklifts on home sites vs 30 years ago, it is evident that tools and equipment are replacing manpower all the time. This would be just the ultimate step.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I think it could happen with cookie-cutter houses, but I would think there are too many other custom homes to make it cost effective.

Resident Sign Guy

Change will happen in the future as automation has made its way into every business. I am sure it is being used to shape wood more and more through CNC routers. Cuts that 10 years ago were all done my hand are now simply put the sheet good on the table and watch it go. I can see house construction going that route too.

Basically, it’s a giant cnc machine. Instead of cutting, it’s adding.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The technology is coming. Many people are working on it. Us old guys probably have nothing to worry about, the twentysomethings well all I can say is keep up with the technology or get left behind.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

The technology is coming. Many people are working on it. Us old guys probably have nothing to worry about, the twentysomethings well all I can say is keep up with the technology or get left behind.

I don’t think we will print walls too soon.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

i think the term “printer” is really what makes it so amazing. We all know printers are a household commodity now, and if you can “print” a house then thats pretty amazing.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

i think the term “printer” is really what makes it so amazing. We all know printers are a household commodity now, and if you can “print” a house then thats pretty amazing.

I suppose. I never understand how they know what to print on the paper anyway so both are the same to me lol.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I don’t think we will print walls too soon.

Don’t be so sure. This technology will grow by leaps and bounds probably a lot faster than we all think.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I suppose. I never understand how they know what to print on the paper anyway so both are the same to me lol.

typically either ink or toner printers use a color combination to output a shade of specific color in very small areas and when the big picture comes out it looks like an image. really, thats all it is is an image on paper, very thin. these 3D printers are literally using building material of sorts and then printing in layers really. instead of ink, they may use a “concrete” kind of composite or something like that. Obviously that printer needs to be supplied with the raw materials and then its really just a machine doing the work of building or “printing” the page. The more into the details you get and the more elaborate it gets the less it sounds like a “printer” as we all know it. but thats just me talking.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.558 seconds