dcsimg

3 Way Track Saw Showdown

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 246 total)
  • Author

That was a really good read. Nice that the other options aren’t cheap beginnings. On the idea of ordering the 110V Bosch from the UK. I’m not sure it is worth it considering the price would be two hundred dollars more than the others (average), after currency conversion. I would htink that unless you are a hard cor Festi, the Makita would be a great saw to have.

And at that point, you may as well just get the Mafell rather than the Bosch.

I would htink that unless you are a hard cor Festi, the Makita would be a great saw to have.

The Makita come in a box that clips on the the green guys boxx

I had forgotten the makita came in a systainer despite the fact that I am sure Dan has mentioned it several times. Seems somewhat strange for Makita to do that, although I suppose it is a way of drawing guys who might be Festool prone (and already have systainers) towards the Makita.

And here is a decent discussion on the Bosch TS for those who get to use it:
    http://www.bosch-pt.co.uk/professional/community/board/2/topic/3297/1/Bosch+GKT+55+GCE+plunge+saw+VS+festool+TS55.html

John S

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Sometimes I just have to cover my eyes when I read Scot’s posts, lest I feel the need to dig deeper into my wallet
    I don’t know why I keep forgetting that mafell makes the Bosch TS, but I would definitely be more intrigued by them if I could compare it side by side with the festool and others some.

It’s taking every bit of will power to not Google Mafell right now – lest it end up costing me thousands of dollars. I’m with you John. I’d rather not know what I’m missing 🙂

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I posted some Mayfell videos on annother Tracksaw forum that you could check out here in BTP

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

It’s taking every bit of will power to not Google Mafell right now – lest it end up costing me thousands of dollars. I’m with you John. I’d rather not know what I’m missing :)

I googled the Mafell track saw…it’s a couple hundred dollars more than the Festool.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

The price of the Mafell is not all that bad if you look at it and from users that own one they say it is worth every penny.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would like when they test these tools that they would send them for a years worth of hard work and then retest them to see how the retested after use.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I would like when they test these tools that they would send them for a years worth of hard work and then retest them to see how the retested after use.

I do worry a little about a lack of long term testing with how competitive the tool industry is here. Frankly, I’ve been a little bit disappointed at the recalls from Festool in the last year.

In Canada we got hit with a ton of extras (Not just the TS 55 R) because Festool didn’t submit a pile of new tools for the proper testing in Canada to meet electrical standards – they sold them without it until someone noticed (a government dept. that bought them!) Then it was a big recall, and from what I hear they’re not going to both to submit them now, not worth their time I guess. That means I’m stuck without an option to buy the vac I wanted 🙁

I worry that this lack of process to get things to market quick could be a sign they might be rushing things – that being said all the user reviews are great, so maybe it’s just an issue at the USA office and not something that affects the team that actually designs the tools.

redwood
    Pro

It all comes down to government requirements. If the requirements are too stringent, you won’t see as many new products. I’ve heard that the costs for certifing products is tremendously high.

Manufacturers must determine if the costs associated with bringing a product to a new market is worth it. Many times it must not be.

I’m curious, does Canada have more stringent requirements or do they just require additional testing (extra cost) to be certified in Canada.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

nice article i have really been considering get a track saw. But I dont think i use it enough to justify the cost. They do seem perfect to almost replace a table saw. especially since i cant keep a table saw in my truck everyday.

Honestly, this would be one of the most interesting things to see IMO. It would be difficult to keep the amount of “use” equal between the three tools, but if there was a way to standardize that, it would be super, super interesting and helpful when it comes to really legit tool reviews.

John S

woodman_412

I’ve been really happy with my Makita saw other than the trouble I had getting a couple true guide rails.

Don’t let me totally derail the topic, but have you ever considered this to connect your guide rails?<br>
    http://www.festoolproducts.com/Betterley-SLC23-StraightLine-Connector-for-Guide-R-p/slc23.htm (no idea if it works with your rails)

And Scot – great detail as usual. Post of the week nomination from my end :P

That’s cool John, I’ve never seen that before. It seems like it would be useful though since it should make things easier than just using a straight edge to try and line them up. I don’t find that I have to connect the rails super often but when I need to it’s great having that option there.

Dan

danpattison.com

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I am also seriously looking at a TS. Saw a video of the Self propeled Mafell Now that is cool but the price was a heart stopper.

One comment made me laugh. ” Ma fell over at the price”

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I missed that post on the Betterley connectors, really great idea. Joining rails has really been the only part of the Festool TS that I have felt hasn’t been put together great. It’s not that it’s difficult, but it has just bugged me that they could have done something a little more innovative.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That Betterley connector is a great tool to set up the tracks. I’ve never seen them over here.

Dirty

I have never had any issues with the guide rail connectors, but now I have rails in just about every length so I can just use the rail that I need for a particular cut. I bridge the rails with the saw to keep them straight when tightening them and it has worked out perfectly fine. It would be a pain to tighten and untighten them if I had only a couple of tracks — switching between ripping and cross-cutting can be a pain.

Orange County, CA

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

The only reason the Festool won was because of the accessories? The other saws performed better or just as good.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

The only reason the Festool won was because of the accessories? The other saws perform
    ed better or just as good.

I am pretty darn happy with my Makita. I did heavy research and was sold on it when I saw this test. Once it was on sale I figured why not. Pretty awesome IMO.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m happy with my Makita track saw too.

Dirty

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I’m damn happy with my Makita as well. I can’t imagine how anything could cut better. I mainly use it for cutiing the deck to accept a picture frame border or seamboard.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I’ve been really happy with my Makita saw other than the trouble I had getting a couple true guide rails.

Don’t let me totally derail the topic, but have you ever considered this to connect your guide rails?<br><br>
    http://www.festoolproducts.com/Betterley-SLC23-StraightLine-Connector-for-Guide-R-p/slc23.htm (no idea if it works with your rails)

And Scot – great detail as usual. Post of the week nomination from my end :P

That’s cool John, I’ve never seen that before. It seems like it would be useful though since it should make things easier than just using a straight edge to try and line them up. I don’t find that I have to connect the rails super often but when I need to it’s great having that option there.

I just use my 6′ level to align the tracks. I already have that. Why spend another $100 for an almost single purpose item like the Bitterly? I can think of other tools I’d rather drop a $100 on.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.576 seconds