dcsimg

3 Way Track Saw Showdown

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

My track saw has been indispensable to me in my shop for a variety of applications. That’s just it, I feel it is a lot dependent on one’s situation and/or application.

I totally agree with you Kevin. It all depends on many factors if someone needs or doesn’t need a track saw. A straight edge, homemade guide, level clamped down, all those in combination with a circular saw works as well.
    I surely would like add a track saw to my shop and aresenal in general but right now I can manage it without.

Many people say stuff like this but after the straight cut, there simply is no comparison.

The cut from a track saw is soooo very smooth. No saw marks. I chose the Makita and get splinter free cuts on both sides of the cut. The dust collection from a track saw (when hooked to a dust collector) is phenomenal. When I have ripped birch plywood at a 45 then glued two 45 rips together, the plywood appears as if it was seamless. Like when you look at the edge it looks like one solid piece of wood.

Awesome….track saws are just awesome.

This is soooo very true. No regular circular saw with a track is ever as good. The track saw has the plunge feature as well. Usually the bearings and things are made to a higher standard as well so you get a better cut too

don’t get me wrong, I am not saying they are identical or so. track saws have their purpose. As you said, clean cuts from both sides, good DC etc.
    Just saying for my purpose at the moment, a straight edge and a circular saw works out to cut down sheets. But most of the time I just run them thru the table saw.

I surely would like add a track saw to my shop and aresenal in general but right now I can manage it without.

The price is the big factor as to why track saws have not caught on in N/A. Me I can’t cut a straight line so I got one and now my cuts are straight.

Yeah I get your point Bill. There are quite a few companies which have a track saw available in NA. Some member said here once, tools don’t cost them money, they make them money 😛
    I don’t have a track saw myself but a straight edge helps at the moment for a good cut. Or just the table saw haha

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Has anyone had a chance to use the Festool HKC or Mafell KSS saws?

Yes we have member that are deep into the Mafell but they don’t post here anymore.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

woodman_412

Of the reviews I’ve read online on the Makita, the most common complaint seems to have to do with the track. I know woodman_412 had some issues with his also. Would it make a difference where one buys one of these?

Yeah I did have issues with the tracks not being straight and flat Brian. I did end up with two tracks that worked in the end but I had to try a few to get there. If you bought from somewhere that has easy returns that would be your best bet just in case you get a rail that you aren’t happy with.

Dan

danpattison.com

Doobie

Of the reviews I’ve read online on the Makita, the most common complaint seems to have to do with the track. I know woodman_412 had some issues with his also. Would it make a difference where one buys one of these?

Yeah I did have issues with the tracks not being straight and flat Brian. I did end up with two tracks that worked in the end but I had to try a few to get there. If you bought from somewhere that has easy returns that would be your best bet just in case you get a rail that you aren’t happy with.

That’s odd. Never heard of anybody having defective tracks like that. Were they Makita tracks?

dod
    Pro
    Dayton, OH

That’s odd. Never heard of anybody having defective tracks like that. Were they Makita tracks?

I had no issues with my tracks. The first saw I received was damaged. The top handle was split open as if the screw that holds the case together was not installed. There was no screw to be found in the case. An advanced replacement was shipped to me next day from the retailer.

-Daniel

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes , they had a bad batch. Best to just check it when you buy it.

Dirty

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

That Festool cordless sure looks sweet, comes with 2 batteries and 2 chargers since it uses 2 batteries. For the kit with a track is about exactly double what the Makita is, but the more I think about it the more I want one. Help!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That Festool cordless sure looks sweet, comes with 2 batteries and 2 chargers since it uses 2 batteries. For the kit with a track is about exactly double what the Makita is, but the more I think about it the more I want one. Help!

I will stick with my corded one just because of the vac hose, It’s hard to be cordless with a vac hose on the tool.

Dirty

Doobie

I will stick with my corded one just because of the vac hose, It’s hard to be cordless with a vac hose on the tool.

That’s how I figure it as well. Unless you are using a dust bag, what’s the point of going cordless for the power.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

That’s how I figure it as well. Unless you are using a dust bag, what’s the point of going cordless for the power.

One less thing to tangle up. I have used a track saw plenty of times with other tools and you are constantly switching between plugging in a few tools and the vacuum hose. Then all the cords get tangled. Fast cap makes a in line switch that you plug into the walk then the vacuum into it and can turn on the vacuum with a remote. I am going that route. Going to be getting the tsc55 and midi vac next week. Also the track saw with just a bag works really really good

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

One less thing to tangle up. I have used a track saw plenty of times with other tools and you are constantly switching between plugging in a few tools and the vacuum hose. Then all the cords get tangled. Fast cap makes a in line switch that you plug into the walk then the vacuum into it and can turn on the vacuum with a remote. I am going that route. Going to be getting the tsc55 and midi vac next week. Also the track saw with just a bag works really really good

Are you getting the kit with the new Airstream batteries? It’s available April 3 I believe.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@brianpeters that’s what o am still debating on. If I do its 60 bucks more. The only upside is that the batteries charge faster. There is no difference in run time or anything else. I am leaning towards not getting it with the airstream batteries and saving the money.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I doubt if I would use one enough for battery charging time to be a big deal…I didn’t realize that was the only difference.

woodman_412

Yeah the tracks were both Makita tracks Kevin. It seems that the issue is actually fairly common. I’ve received a lot of emails and comments from my YouTube viewers that have told me about similar issues with theirs.

Dan

danpattison.com

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

After much deliberation, and watching the review by @woodman_412 (for the 3rd or 4th time), I decided to go with the Makita. Ordered it this evening. I’m also getting an extra 55 inch track and connectors. Just thought about it now while typing this out that I didn’t get any clamps for the track do I need those?

Doobie

Just thought about it now while typing this out that I didn’t get any clamps for the track do I need those?

I’ve rarely ever used mine, so I’d say no.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

After much deliberation, and watching the review by @woodman_412 (for the 3rd or 4th time), I decided to go with the Makita. Ordered it this evening. I’m also getting an extra 55 inch track and connectors. Just thought about it now while typing this out that I didn’t get any clamps for the track do I need those?

Depends on what you do most. I don’t use them much unless it is a door or some expensive plywood. They are peace of mind more than anything. I also like to use them when ripping ply on a 45. I do have the Festool quick clamps but I like the DeWalt clamps best for use on the track.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Depends on what you do most. I don’t use them much unless it is a door or some expensive plywood. They are peace of mind more than anything. I also like to use them when ripping ply on a 45. I do have the Festool quick clamps but I like the DeWalt clamps best for use on the track.

So, you’re saying I have other options besides Makita? That’s good to know. I’ll check it out, I really think I should get a set for the times I might need them .

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

So, you’re saying I have other options besides Makita? That’s good to know. I’ll check it out, I really think I should get a set for the times I might need them .

Yesir! I think you should have them. Plus the DeWalt ones are cheap insurance. 32 bucks for 2 clamps is a no brainer IMO

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s the power cord that also triggers the vac to go on and off.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.388 seconds