dcsimg

3 Common Concrete Issues You’ll Face

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Skillman 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author

If you own a home, you’ll face issues throughout your ownership. Whether it’s problems with the roof after a hailstorm, your garage door reaching the end of life, or your driveway starting to crack, there’s a variety of issues to take care of being aware of when you own a home or property. Let’s look at three common concrete issues you’ll face and what to do about them.

3 Common Concrete Issues for Homeowners

Cracked Concrete

Cracked concrete is one of the most common issues homeowners will confront. Cracked concrete is common after years of wear and tear break down the concrete. Concrete will sink, become uneven, and eventually crack due to the stress. Cracked concrete can be filled or replaced by a concrete company when needed. If the concrete is old, replacing areas of it may be the better solutions that just filling in the cracks.

Sinking Concrete

Sinking concrete is another common issues homeowners will face. Over time, the wear and tear of being driven and walked on every day will force concrete to begin sink into the sediment layers beneath it, especially when parked cards and other heavy objects sit on the concrete for long periods of time. Mudjacking, or concrete leveling can raise the concrete to the proper and even level.

Broken Concrete

Broken concrete can occur because of either of the above issues or through impact. If you drop something heavy on concrete, crash into it, or cause a type of collision, you can break concrete. Eventually, these breaks can cause cracks, gaps, and holes, and eventually lead to uneven concrete. A concrete company can come out, estimate the type of repair and costs associated with it.

Common concrete issues that come up are easy to deal with early by calling a concrete company. They can come out, look at what’s going on, and give you the best solution for dealing with it before it becomes a bigger issue. Leaving concrete issues along can cause more damaged to your property, including the foundation of your home depending on where the issue lies.

Owner - AAA Concrete Raising
    https://aaaconcreteraising.com

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Hey @jkirk Think we got some Spam going on here.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

There are some good points there however you fail to mention the size of thr crack as it can be a non issue for very small cracks which creates problems for contractor client relationship….

The fact your showing your company website address raises a red flag here at be the pro.. going to get @bethepro to varify this post

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

That’s why you always have to get a real qualified tradesman, a true PRO someone who has knowledge and lots of experience.
    Some people nowadays tend say: – We want to “save” money!….FAIL because this money is going to be spent in future fixings.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Thanks guys for the heads up. I’m sure that @howarddenton is simply new and wasn’t aware that this forum is not used to get new customers but to share professional knowledge among professionals. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Cheers,

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Definitely new and not trying to spam the forum guys. Thanks for the benefit of the doubt @bethepro (Jim).

@jkirk – Sure, the size of the crack is of importance, but any crack should be a flag and an indicator of something to keep an eye on.

The link I added was for additional resource purposes, as it was to our blog where we have more info for readers. Happy to post those resources on here [ without links 😉 ] as we develop more of them.

@howarddenton Cracks happen in concrete it’s about how you can control the joints . If someone says that concrete is not suppose move they don’t know anything about the make up of the material itself .

When cracks start around 1/4-1″ you start to find out what’s doing it weather water getting in . Footing is to high getting push up during the changeing seasons .

Always willing to learn .

If you’re in Colorado, the bentonite wreaks havoc on concrete. Bentonite is a soil which absorbs and expands, thus causing movement and often cracks in concrete.

Clev08
    Pro

A wise man once told me the guarantees he gives on his concrete work. It’s going to get hard, and it’s going to crack.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Well since you brought up common issues why not expand on them with some remedies.

Concrete is a weak area in my background. I would be enlightened to hear some tips.

When I see cracks or Sinking or broken I’m looking for the underlying cause. Shrinkage cracks is the nature of the beast those I don’t care about.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well since you brought up common issues why not expand on them with some remedies.

Good idea, first up how to prevent or at least reduce the possibility of cracks.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Good idea, first up how to prevent or at least reduce the possibility of cracks.

this is where we need our resident pro @utopia78 to come in here and expand on a few of the masonry topics.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

A wise man once told me the guarantees he gives on his concrete work. It’s going to get hard, and it’s going to crack.

I like that quote, sounds right

@topnotch good idea, it’s definitely not my area, I feel the same as you about you on this topic.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Definitely new and not trying to spam the forum guys. Thanks for the benefit of the doubt @bethepro (Jim).

@jkirk – Sure, the size of the crack is of importance, but any crack should be a flag and an indicator of something to keep an eye on.

The link I added was for additional resource purposes, as it was to our blog where we have more info for readers. Happy to post those resources on here [ without links 😉 ] as we develop more of them.

Cracks in concrete are not always a bad thing, as the oldage goes, “there are 2 types of concrete – That that is cracked, and That that will crack”

If you’re in Colorado, the bentonite wreaks havoc on concrete. Bentonite is a soil which absorbs and expands, thus causing movement and often cracks in concrete.

Do they require you to remove a certain amount of soil under the footing and install stone to help with all the bentonite movement .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Do they require you to remove a certain amount of soil under the footing and install stone to help with all the bentonite movement .

way back we had some commercial projects on bentonite soils (expansive) and we had to use caissons and grade beams under the grade beams so the expansive soils would not cause problems on the structure.

Bentonite is also used as a waterproofing as it swells and fills gaps when it gets wet.

way back we had some commercial projects on bentonite soils (expansive) and we had to use caissons and grade beams under the grade beams so the expansive soils would not cause problems on the structure.

Bentonite is also used as a waterproofing as it swells and fills gaps when it gets wet.

It’s crazy how a natural product can cause so much problems but fix other problems as well . Have to love what this planet is made of .

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Adding fiberglass or polypropylene fiber to the mix doesn’t hurt

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have had a bunch of concrete poured over the years, and the slabs with fiberglass reinforcement have had less cracking than the ones poured with out it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have had a bunch of concrete poured over the years, and the slabs with fiberglass reinforcement have had less cracking than the ones poured with out it.

quite a few of of the bags of concrete i pick up at the big box stores, come with fibreglass these days. its a good way to go, can’t hurt by adding more strength to it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.083 seconds