dcsimg

2×4 End Pieces?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  geordie99 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

So a friend of mine asked me about doing this for her, but I’ve honestly never seen it done and don’t think it would work as great as the pintrist gods make it seem.

Wouldn’t the pieces just crack and snap down the grain? Especially since they would have to be cut around 1/2″ thick so that the floor doesn’t get raised.

Attachments:

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I think it would be ok if their cut in one inch slices not half an inch .

It has a nice look to it !

lulu
    Pro

im thinking they would. its been my experience that when you cut a 2×4 like that it splits. would 1/2″ birch or oak sheets work?

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

@cranbrook2 It’s definitely got a nice look to it, I just don’t think its doable with regular SPF 2×4 end pieces unless it is cut thick, but then were looking at being almost 1-1/4″ higher then the floor sheeting.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have seen it before but with sliced logs and they were about a inch thick and they were also hardwood . I don’t think softwood would last too long .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Yikes, that looks like a nightmare! How are the voids being filled…epoxy?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

lulu
    Pro

sorry didn’t clarify. I meant 1/2″ sheets cut like the photo above.

Michael Angelo

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

@lulu sheets would be stronger cut up like that, but wouldn’t give the same effect I don’t think.

@jponto07 I have no idea how the voids are being filled. I’m just trying to figure out if its even worth attempting.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Jponto07 I have no idea how the voids are being filled. I’m just trying to figure out if its even worth attempting.

I think the biggest consideration is the finishing stage. Filling all of the voids and properly sealing what amounts to a crap load of end grain is going to be a serious undertaking. Expect to use a 55 gallon drum of epoxy resin…or something on that scale.

For that matter, is epoxy resin appropriate for flooring? Would it scratch up and look white instead of clear?

Jon P.
    Instagram

lulu
    Pro

as far as filling the gaps I saw someone use the sawdust from the cuts and then mix it with poly. then they poured it over the floor and let it dry, then they sanded it. the finished product was awesome.

Michael Angelo

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Well it looks cool, Seams like a lot of work, and not sure how durable if would be.

If I’m not mistaken Bob Vila did that on his show years ago @woodsconstruction . Think they used saw dust with epoxy .

Always willing to learn .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

For that matter, is epoxy resin appropriate for flooring? Would it scratch up and look white instead of clear?

Epoxy resin is very hard and very water proof. I don’t know if you guys would scratch it?? We never use our shoes inside the house so it would be fine over here. If it did get scratched one thin coat of epoxy would make look new again.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Epoxy resin is very hard and very water proof. I don’t know if you guys would scratch it?? We never use our shoes inside the house so it would be fine over here. If it did get scratched one thin coat of epoxy would make look new again.

That was my initial thought, but I’ve never worked with epoxy resin, just the adhesive type.

Jon P.
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Could level it like you would resanding a hardwood. Fill with poly. But….how is it adhered.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

If I’m not mistaken Bob Vila did that on his show years ago @woodsconstruction . Think they used saw dust with epoxy .

I think you’re right, it was Bob V. They made a “grout” with saw dust/epoxy

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Found a short video…

Clev08
    Pro

I think it looks cool, I would maybe try it on a nightstand or coffee table so thicker pieces are not as much of a problem. Also less abuse on the wood in a coffee table than a floor.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Look is OK but like most have mentioned a bit thicker might help with cracking.
    Epoxy coating once down and like Dirty said if it gets scratched a skim of epoxy and it will look like new again.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Yeah it’s looking like way too much work for the rustic look she wants. Especially since she THINKS it would be cheaper because of the material, seems to be forgetting the labor part of it all.

I still think I might use it on a small project though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.672 seconds