dcsimg

2wd in the Winter

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

Anyone else drive a 2wd truck in the snow? This is what I came up with for my truck to increase performance in the snow. The box is 4′ x 4′ and about 3″ high. There are 25 concrete pavers that fit into it so with the pavers and the box itself it gives me about 400 lbs of weight. Makes a huge difference in the snow, I’ve yet to get stuck. If I do happen to get stuck I can take the lid off and put a few pavers under the wheels to get going again. I designed it so that I still have full use of my bed and I can still fit all my tools in. I also put a set of 4 Toyo GSi5 winter tires on which work really well.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

thats a slick setup, I could not get away with 2 wd around here.

that is a really really wise setup – i am impressed you have all that weight and still functionally have your bed for full use… nice. did you happen to already have the concrete pavers on hand or did you buy them?

John S

woodman_412

We get plenty of snow here but I find that I can get by ok with 2wd. I went with 2wd for a few reasons…more towing capacity, more payload capacity, less maintenance, better gas mileage and cheaper upfront. Now there is a few days a year or the odd muddy job site though where it would be nice to have that 4wd button…

Dan

danpattison.com

woodman_412

John,
    I bought the concrete pavers to suit the design that I had come up with. The 8×8 size worked perfectly with the overall dimensions that I had to work with and taking the framing into account too.

Dan

danpattison.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

my truck tends to get squirly if i dont have weight in the back or it just doesnt move.. i have a 2×6 wedged at the very back of hte box which has just enough space for 2 50 lb sand bags to sit over top of the wheels to give more wight and such.. i only had one bag in the last couple winters but weve had more snow this year. its working.. but i think it took a toll on my suspension.. i think i have a dead shock in the rear drivers side

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’m a 4X4 kinda guy, but the van I had was soooo full of weight it never had a problem in the snow

Cool set up ! In Buffalo I would not be without 4X4 never know what your going to get hit with ; And the cabin is a mile up on a 45 degree pitch, 4 wheel keeps a loaded truck more stable if u slide you go 40 feet down into the revine .

Attachments:

That us a sweet set up. Send some snow my way

woodman_412

You can have all the snow Manuel! I’m getting tired of it here.

Dan

danpattison.com

We could use some snow here in Cali too… I miss New England. 🙂 I love the paver box rig… effective and versatile. Nicely done!

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I also have 2wd truck and I usually wait until the roads are clear before I drive . With the price of gas I hate the idea of driving around with dead weight in the back of my truck .Luckily I work at home so I usually don,t need to go to far .

Oh you Cali boys wishing you had snow… It is gonna snow on me tonight and tomorrow – Come on it is MID APRIL haha

John S

woodman_412

I took the pavers out of the back on the weekend but I’m still keeping my snow tires on for another week or so. We keep getting flurries and temperatures below the freezing mark so it’s not quite summer tire weather yet. You guys down south can have the rest of the snow for the year, we’ve had enough here for one year!

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

They are still calling for more snow here 🙁

DaveG.
    Pro

Now that my 2wd Tundra work truck has about 1000lbs of tools/supplies (under the work cap)in the back that gives me a little of the reverse issue (too much weight that causes you to have more traction). — not really, but will be replacing tires this fall. When we are working up in Cleveland, they always get slammed with that lake effect snow, and you never know how the roads will be.

My wife has the 4wd Sequoia, and no issues with any kind of road conditions.

We had about 80deg here in Columbus today.

Dan – I like the box, but you should totally scrap the paver box, and buy more tools to haul around. 🙂

woodman_412

lol oh I have plenty of tools to haul around Dave, just don’t always have them with me. My truck doubles as a family vehicle since it’s our only vehicle so when I’m not working away from the shop my tools aren’t being carried in the truck. The box with the pavers worked great this winter, no issues with getting stuck and had great traction. What year is your Tundra Dave?

Dan

danpattison.com

DaveG.
    Pro

2004. It is an excellent truck. I have a color matched cap on the back with flip up doors. And a bed-slide in the back, although I don’t use it often, because the doors are so convenient. I will have to post some pictures sometime.

woodman_412

Yeah some pics of your setup would be great to see. Mine is a 2005 double cab, like you said it’s a great truck. I’ve always had Toyota trucks and I’ve really enjoyed them.

Dan

danpattison.com

No way! 4wd is definatly the way to go.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.507 seconds