dcsimg

2500 Sf Ranch with Stacked Garages

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  JimDaddyO 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This week we got started on our next build. It is a 2500 Sf ranch with a walkout basement that is completely finished. It will have a garage that is just under 1500 SF that will have a precast floor and another 1500 SF garage below.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That precast floor sounds interesting, those are the Precast walls I see. This sounds like a nice project that’s a big garage.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

This will be a good one to see go together. Dirty is right. That’s a big garage.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

CB
    Pro

Kurt, is this house in the same subdivision as the previous house you posted? How many have you built there? How many more do you plan to build?

This is an unusual development pattern for my area. Around here, everything seems to go up at once… even minor subdivisions of semi custom homes. By contrast, it appears that you group is building one house all the way to completion at a time.

The economics / planning department approval / permit open time window / etc is intriguing to me. What can you tell us about the macro aspects of the overall development

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Kurt, is this house in the same subdivision as the previous house you posted? How many have you built there? How many more do you plan to build?

This is an unusual development pattern for my area. Around here, everything seems to go up at once… even minor subdivisions of semi custom homes. By contrast, it appears that you group is building one house all the way to completion at a time.

The economics / planning department approval / permit open time window / etc is intriguing to me. What can you tell us about the macro aspects of the overall development

This one is in the country about 4 to 5 miles out of town.

In our area the developers are smaller and build as we sell with a few specs added in. We try to fill out a subdivision as soon as possible but having the downturn of 2008, changed the model a lot. In the last year we completed two developments that we had. They had stalled out somewhat in the downturn. It is nice to fill them up and be done with them.

We typically have multiple projects going at one time and houses in various phases of completion. We will definitely start at least one more before this is complete. We do do a lot of the work with our crew and being small, we don’t do to many at once. Last year we finished 6 homes and several remodels and smaller projects. these last two homes are pretty sizeable so we will not have as much going at the same time as we normally would.

We currently have one remodel ready for trim work, one ready for drywall, one office remodel with just base remaining to install, a bathroom remodel that is just waiting on a special order door, A bunch of window replacements, a deck repair and this house. That adds up to over 1.3 mil in work. We have a remodel addition to start this spring that will be in the 700K to 800K that will fill up a lot of our summer.

In addition we will have a bunch of installs of gym equipment that will pot up throughout the year. Most of those are one day projects but I do know we will have a three day basket ball hoop install.

I have been turning down a lot of smaller projects so we can focus more on the homes to build out the lots I Own.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Wow you really do a lot of work,, That’s a lot of homes per year.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

In addition we will have a bunch of installs of gym equipment that will pot up throughout the year. Most of those are one day projects but I do know we will have a three day basket ball hoop install.

With all the other stuff you do Kurt, that part of your activities seems an oddball of sorts in you5 mix. What’s the story with how you came about what seems to be the main guy in your neck of the woods that does all those gym and athletic equipment hard installs?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

With all the other stuff you do Kurt, that part of your activities seems an oddball of sorts in you5 mix. What’s the story with how you came about what seems to be the main guy in your neck of the woods that does all those gym and athletic equipment hard installs?

During the downturn we got a call out of the blue from a company that sells the equipment. They were looking for someone to partner up with for the install of their equipment. Things were a lot slower then and we were always looking for more work so I said “lets talk”.

Their main business has them in schools quite a bit doing service work. The schools started asking them for the athletic equipment bids, so the salesman went to his boss and asked about adding a line of athletic equipment. His boss said fine, but we are to busy to install it so you need to find someone to do it.

We ended up working together on a couple of projects and everything went well and we have been working together ever since. We have become their go to on most of their install projects. I enjoy the projects because they are different and take a little thought to make them go well. We have done enough that we are pretty efficient when it comes to the projects and therefore do pretty well on them.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Today we got the precast set and grouted. Some excavation and backfill also.

Once that was done we got the drywall stocked on a remodel and I sanded a bunch of cherry base for the office project we are doing. The owner changed the plan last week from vinyl base to wood. We hope to install on friday.

Thanks for the pictures of the house Kurt. Looks like they will have a nice view of things from their home. The stacked garages are so cool.

One of those garages is bigger than my home.

Of course, to my thinking, that is the way things ought to be anyway.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.606 seconds