dcsimg

2100 SF Ranch

Tagged: 

This topic contains 34 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We started this house a couple weeks ago. It is a 2.100 SF walkout ranch. With the wet weather we have had, it has been a little slow due to the additional soils work we have had to do.

The site sits above the 100 year flood line but still low in relation to the street and surrounding area. We stripped the topsoil over the entire footprint of the house and garage. We hauled in about 500 ton of coarse sand to build our base, that was about a foot and a half to two feet thick. We then placed and compacted about 3 feet of clay on that to bet to an elevation that was about a foot below the basement floor. For the garage area we placed and compacted another 7 feet of clay to build up that area. in all so far we have hauled in about 2,500 CY of material We will need probably about 1/2 that much more to build up around the foundation.

The last couple of homes we have done we have used a precast foundation system. We started by placing 8″ of clean crushed rock on the subgrade and compacting that and grading it to provide a base for the panels. The nice thing about this foundation system is that it installs in a day. Below are some photo’s for the system installed ready for rough in plumbing and framing.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We started this house a couple weeks ago. It is a 2.100 SF walkout ranch. With the wet weather we have had, it has been a little slow due to the additional soils work we have had to do.

The site sits above the 100 year flood line but still low in relation to the street and surrounding area. We stripped the topsoil over the entire footprint of the house and garage. We hauled in about 500 ton of coarse sand to build our base, that was about a foot and a half to two feet thick. We then placed and compacted about 3 feet of clay on that to bet to an elevation that was about a foot below the basement floor. For the garage area we placed and compacted another 7 feet of clay to build up that area. in all so far we have hauled in about 2,500 CY of material We will need probably about 1/2 that much more to build up around the foundation.

The last couple of homes we have done we have used a precast foundation system. We started by placing 8″ of clean crushed rock on the subgrade and compacting that and grading it to provide a base for the panels. The nice thing about this foundation system is that it installs in a day. Below are some photo’s for the system installed ready for rough in plumbing and framing.

That’s a nice system. Is that foam and metal on the walls ready for sheet rock?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

So, am I understanding that the 8″ of compacted rock is the footing for the panels? How are the panels joined together? How is the exterior of the system waterproofed?

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Pretty interesting system , I see in the second photo , it looks as if those panells got sprayed white on the inside of the foundation , will that be the same for the back where the walk out is , this will be a nice learning thread to follow ,

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Yes, the foam and metal studs come on the panels and the interior is ready for drywall. There is a little framing necessary at the corners to have proper drywall backing there.

The 8″ of compacted rock is the “footing of the system. The panels are a 5000 psi concrete which in fairly impermeable to moisture. additional we spray them with a waterproofing from grade to the base of the panel.

The panel is made so the joints are basically a ship lap then the joint gets 3 beads of sealant on that lap. In addition to that they re bolted together top and bottom and a few times in the middle.

That is actually the color the panels come. they far a fairly nice clean exterior.

The second photo is the garage. they use a white bead board for the insulation on the garage in lieu of the more expensive extruded foam on the areas that do not get buried. Not as much insulation is needed in those locations below grade.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The 8″ of compacted rock is the “footing of the system

So you get your compact rock so good you can set them and build your floor with out leveling it off?

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

So you get your compact rock so good you can set them and build your floor with out leveling it off?

They set small metal screeds in the rock then shoot them in with a laser. Then they use the screeds to level the rock after it is compacted. surprisingly the top of the panels are pretty true to elevation when done. All the corners are set with a total station so the dimensions come out right on and square.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

They set small metal screeds in the rock then shoot them in with a laser. Then they use the screeds to level the rock after it is compacted. surprisingly the top of the panels are pretty true to elevation when done. All the corners are set with a total station so the dimensions come out right on and square.

This sounds like a very good system. Can you give the name of this precast walls so I can you-tube them or is it a local yard doing them?

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This sounds like a very good system. Can you give the name of this precast walls so I can you-tube them or is it a local yard doing them?

https://www.superiorwalls.com/ Ours come from Michigan, there are others that do them in other places in the country

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

How’s this one coming along Kurt,
    I know you have been extremely busy, just curious to know how the progress is coming along,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

https://www.superiorwalls.com/ Ours come from Michigan, there are others that do them in other places in the country

That looks like a great system.. I found some info on the you-tube,, for all to see.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I found some info on the you-tube,, for all to see.

Thanks Dirty, looks like a great system.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That looks like a great system.. I found some info on the you-tube,, for all to see.

Thanks for the links, That looks like a really good system. I like the simplicity.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Neat system. 2100 sq ft is a nice “normal” sized house too. Much better than all the tacky McMansions I see go up.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

With what we are finishing in the basement, there will be about 4000 finished.

I will get more photo’s tomorrow.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So how thick it the concrete in the walls. I guess it’s strong enough to hold the weight of the back fill. I guess at some point you pour the slab on the inside.

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The concrete on the face is about 2″ thick, with concrete studs every 16″. after the panels are set, we get the plumber in right away and install the underfloor plumbing. Once that is done we pour the floor and install the main floor before we back fill. We are setting trusses now but rain has held up up a fair bit.

We have hauled over 4000 CY of soil into this site to get the grades where they need to be. with all that fill, rain is a real factor. We try to stay out of the mud as much as possible since the forklift ruts up the site so bad. Fortunately, we have some other places we can work that are inside or at least out of the mud.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We have hauled over 4000 CY of soil into this site t

Sounds like a big job, the landscaping alone was a big job.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@dirtywhiteboy thanks for those videos,
    Interesting process,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The concrete on the face is about 2″ thick, with concrete studs every 16″. after the panels are set, we get the plumber in right away and install the underfloor plumbing. Once that is done we pour the floor and install the main floor before we back fill. We are setting trusses now but rain has held up up a fair bit.

We have hauled over 4000 CY of soil into this site to get the grades where they need to be. with all that fill, rain is a real factor. We try to stay out of the mud as much as possible since the forklift ruts up the site so bad. Fortunately, we have some other places we can work that are inside or at least out of the mud.

It sounds like you have a sub do the prefab walls. How does the cost compare with forming and pouring your own walls? Do you think this is stronger& better than doing your own pour in place walls?

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.595 seconds