dcsimg

21 Degree vs. 34 Degree Nail Guns

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m sure this has been discussed before, But I don’t feel like searching for, and digging up an old thread, so…..

Where I’m at, 34 degree is very difficult to find. Everyone uses 21 degree.

Personally, I don’t like paper-collated nails, because we work in the rain so much, and the strips start to fall apart. But I’ve heard that there are some plastic-collated 34 degree, though I’ve never seen them.

Is there any reason for the regional difference in nail choice?

Is there any reason to pick one over the other, other than what is available in your area? I know that 34 degree is supposed to get in a little tighter places than 21 degree.

Delta

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

What’s 21 degree, Pasload? I use 28 degree wire. Bostitch.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

My buddy likes paper. He tears off the nails from the clips if he needs to free hand.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I use Bostitch or Paslode both paper and 30 degree in my paslode gun . Never any issues with either one . Bostitch nails are cheaper price too .

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I use paper myself just because of availability. Around here most of the lumber yards carry ether wire or paper. I don’t mind the plastic other than the occasional piece that fly’s in the face.

Most manufactures offer guns in ether paper 30/35° or plastic 21°. Bostitch has the 28° wire.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i use the more common paper collated nails.. for regular framing i use the top gun brand of nails and paslode for deck work as they are rink shank and have a better coating on them compared to top guns galvys

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Anonymous
    Inactive

Max, Senco,Porter-Cable, Hitachi, Makita, Milwaukee, Bostich.

All of those come in a 21 degree, plastic-collated. It’s all any framer here uses.

I used the wire-collated for a while. Kept cutting meself. And they don’t hold a many nails.

Delta

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks like east coast and Canada use 34 degree. Wonder where the regional difference originated?

Delta

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

21º will take full head nails although they are spaced further apart meaning fewer nails per strip. 34º uses clipped head nails; more nails per strip and paper collated, generally a bit cheaper.

Some jurisdictions/codes specify full head nails only. Can’t say for sure which ones but I understand they are out there.

Seems to be regional preferences from what I hear, I have only used 34º tools here.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

21º will take full head nails although they are spaced further apart meaning fewer nails per strip. 34º uses clipped head nails; more nails per strip and paper collated, generally a bit cheaper.

Some jurisdictions/codes specify full head nails only. Can’t say for sure which ones but I understand they are out there.

Seems to be regional preferences from what I hear, I have only used 34º tools here.

You can get full head nails in the 30/34°. The head is offset.

Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here in California, it’s full-head only. Shear for earthquake zones.

Seen those online. Relative newcomer, if I’m not mistaken.

None of my local lumber yards carry 34 degree. You’d have to go to a specialty fastener store for them.

I wonder if the fact that clipped heads were the original, and then they came out with a full-head, but it was 21 degree, if that accounts for the regional difference. West coasters migrated to 21 degree, and east coasters stuck with 34.

Delta

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

None of my local lumber yards carry 34 degree. You’d have to go to a specialty fastener store for them.

I wonder if the fact that clipped heads were the original, and then they came out with a full-head, but it was 21 degree, if that accounts for the regional difference. West coasters migrated to 21 degree, and east coasters stuck with 34.

Delta

Not sure on anything other than 30° full head. (I shoot them in my Paslode) Even HD stocks them here.

Ron

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think it is a lot regional and a lot based on seismic considerations. Here in the midwest most everything is 30 – 34 degree with a little 28 degree (Bostich) Most guys do not like the plastic collated because of the popcorn it throws when you fire a nail.

The offset full head have been around for a while and are replacing the plastic collated more or less based on gun capacity and speed. It takes to much time to reload.

I do have a 21 degree framer because i got a couple of pallets of nails at an auction once and they had a half dozen boxes of 21 degree. I was going to throw them out but found a nail gun for them on clearance so I could use them up. I have since found more plastic collated nails on clearance so we keep using it.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

34 degree is half round nail 21 degree is fullhead 21 comes with plastic 34 comes with paper. Some towns wants you to use full head only. Some you can use whatever. So depends on the situation. I can find both nails in anyhomedepot. I get mine from homedepot and I get the grip rite it works good. Only down side of 21 degree is you have plastic pieces flying around. On the paper you don’t get that

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Same out here and we use the 21* for the Hitachi guns are the biggest brand here.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Delta

That makes a lot of sense. As far as I know, the 34º were the originals. 21º with full heads followed for code compliance. that would account for regional preferences as well.

My experience goes back to the 80’s. A customer of mine was (is) the Senco distributor for Canada. He would give me demo tools for my reno projects. Those were all 34º with clipped heads and paper collated. I recall hearing the sales pitch at the time that the clipped head didn’t compromise the holding strength of the nail, that the friction melt glue on the shank more than made up for the smaller head. Guess that dog didn’t hunt out west, eh.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

im in the maritimes.. after hurricane juan hit us in 2003 the codes upgraded to us requiring full head gun nails as they have more hold..

i know in the tornado zones , new nails were developed by bostich which looked like the head was the diameter of a roofing nail but with the strength of a hand spikes head as studies showed that the heads were actually pulling off of the regular gun nails and spikes from all the force generated by the storm… it was heavily featured in fine homebuilding back in the mid 2000s when they came out

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Anonymous
    Inactive

Same out here and we use the 21* for the Hitachi guns are the biggest brand here.

@dirtywhiteboy

I was gonna ask you, is this the gun you like a lot?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016XU9LC8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I’m about to pul the trigger (he-he) on this one. I decided not to go with the Max.

Delta

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think it is a lot regional and a lot based on seismic considerations. Here in the midwest most everything is 30 – 34 degree with a little 28 degree (Bostich) Most guys do not like the plastic collated because of the popcorn it throws when you fire a nail.

I can agreee with that statement….the plastic chunks can hurt if they get you in the face. That said, 21* is all I’ve ever known in a framer. My current gun is the Max Superframer which I really like.

In choosing which type of nail, I simply knew I didn’t want the paper type as they don’t tolerate inclimate weather well. Plastic collated nails are much easier to find here than the wire welded variant also.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

dirtywhiteboy

I was gonna ask you, is this the gun you like a lot?

I do like it alot, in fact the most. Everytime I pick any other gun up and use it I just hate it! I have 2 old ones before all the safety stuff went on the front nose of it. My will tack a nail so the head is sticking out because I can easily pull the spring off. Most older guys don’t use the spring. I take my pointer finger and pull the safety and use my middle finger to shoot the nail and if I keep the barrel of the gun a inch away from the wood it will leave the nail high as to tack it. If I were to get another gun I’d get a old used one for that reason. In the pic with 2 guns you can see the spring in one and it’s out in the other. Without the spring toe nailing is just so much easier and just general use of the gun.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.311 seconds