dcsimg

2018 New Milwaukee Tools

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 426 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This looks like a good idea

Milwaukee Heated Gloves Review – Foil Frostbit Fingers Fast

https://homefixated.com/milwaukee-heated-gloves-review/

That living in the deep freeze has a lot of specialized stuff for man.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

New Milwaukee SDS Max Cordless Rotary Hammer

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/rotary-hammer/milwaukee-introduces-new-m18-sds-max-rotary-hammer/

that’s pretty cool to finally see more SDS MAX rotary hammer. about time

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A new tape measure from Milwaukee with a twist

https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-10ft-keychain-tape-measure-with-led-flashlight/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

A new tape measure from Milwaukee with a twist

https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-10ft-keychain-tape-measure-with-led-flashlight/

quite interesting – will anyone get it?

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Milwaukee 3-Inch Cut Off Tool 2522-21XC Review

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/5dRZP4KIEJo?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” width=”770″ height=”433″ frameborder=”0″></iframe></figure>

I saw this review a few days ago and I am waiting for the 18V version of it (I hope it’s being developed) that can cut deeper than 5/8″.

CB
    Spectator

I wish they would come out with a 4-1/2″ version of this no matter 12V or 18V I would get it in a heart beat. As it is now this 3″ thing can only cut to slightly over 1/2″ thickness and no more. I still can’t find a good tool to cut in place plastered walls and ceilings over 1.5″ thick that would have a shoe attachment with dust collection. The only reason I will use this over an angle grinder is because it has a built in shoe for DC. Regular grinder cut off shrouds sucks.

Are you needing something that will cut through chicken wire embedded in plaster?

I understand what you mean about the shoe, the shroud, and the dust control vacuum port arrangements being more important than the rotational power or voltage of the tool itself. A similar example would be with table saws, where the most important feature is the fence, not necessarily the motor.

I’ve been tool shopping for the past couple of days. I seriously had no idea how much tools have advanced since the last time I shopped for tools. Looking at various options for Makita’s 18v system, I found a one hand held reciprocating tool with an encapsulating dust shroud and vacuum dust port that was specifically designed for cutting overhead ceilings. The max blade depth is 1 3/16″ …. which is a lot better than 1/2″, but not quite 1.5″.

If your ceilings are thicker, then I imagine they must have wire lath to hold the plaster together, which makes me think that’s why you are looking for a rotational tool instead.

CB
    Spectator

Turning the topic back to Milwaukee:

Who has used the latest, smallest, highest power 4 speed, 2,000 inch lbs torque, Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact driver, in either the 2853 or 2857 (same as 2853 but with OneKey) flavors?

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/5dRZP4KIEJo?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” width=”770″ height=”433″ frameborder=”0″></iframe></figure>

I saw this review a few days ago and I am waiting for the 18V version of it (I hope it’s being developed) that can cut deeper than 5/8″.

what depth do you need or prefer?

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

CB
    Spectator

madman us… just a couple of posts upthread Miamicuse explained he was looking for 1.5″ depth of cut…

As it is now this 3″ thing can only cut to slightly over 1/2″ thickness and no more. I still can’t find a good tool to cut in place plastered walls and ceilings over 1.5″ thick that would have a shoe attachment with dust collection.

The key is the dust collection shroud.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I wish they would come out with a 4-1/2″ version of this no matter 12V or 18V I would get it in a heart beat. As it is now this 3″ thing can only cut to slightly over 1/2″ thickness and no more. I still can’t find a good tool to cut in place plastered walls and ceilings over 1.5″ thick that would have a shoe attachment with dust collection. The only reason I will use this over an angle grinder is because it has a built in shoe for DC. Regular grinder cut off shrouds sucks.

Are you needing something that will cut through chicken wire embedded in plaster?

I understand what you mean about the shoe, the shroud, and the dust control vacuum port arrangements being more important than the rotational power or voltage of the tool itself. A similar example would be with table saws, where the most important feature is the fence, not necessarily the motor.

I’ve been tool shopping for the past couple of days. I seriously had no idea how much tools have advanced since the last time I shopped for tools. Looking at various options for Makita’s 18v system, I found a one hand held reciprocating tool with an encapsulating dust shroud and vacuum dust port that was specifically designed for cutting overhead ceilings. The max blade depth is 1 3/16″ …. which is a lot better than 1/2″, but not quite 1.5″.

If your ceilings are thicker, then I imagine they must have wire lath to hold the plaster together, which makes me think that’s why you are looking for a rotational tool instead.

@CB
    @madman us,

The optimum thickness I am looking for is about 1.5″ thick. I run into having to cut open rock lath ceilings and walls a lot. Actually may be 80% of the time that’s what I bump into and the other 20% modern sheetrock. The rock lath is a layer of 5/8″ or 3/4″ gypsum nailed to the wood framing, followed by a hand troweled on layer of brown coat plaster that is 3/4″ thick, then usually another layer of smooth Venetian or eggshell plaster about 1/8″ thick, then of course over the years another 6-8 coats of paint. This makes a total thickness of slightly over 1.5″. There is no metal lath or chicken wire in them except at all inside corner joints.

I have tried various tools to make cuts on these surfaces, carbide tipped blades on sawzalls don’t do anything, OMT with diamond blades do better, but real slow. The brown coat is hard as rock. The only effective tool that works is the old angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade, but dust control is a real issue, especially when I am standing under making cuts on a ceiling. My current tool is a 5″ angle grinder fitted with a cutting dust shroud, which helps some…but the dust shroud limits the cutting depth to a max of 7/8″, so first pass use the dust shroud, second pass remove the dust shroud, well…this cutoff tool with a built in DC would have been perfect, except the depth limitation.

Also, at the inside corner, where wire mesh or stiff lath are used, I have to score a clean line. Then there is no place for a dust shroud there, no matter what depth, as I need to get the blade close.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

madman us… just a couple of posts upthread Miamicuse explained he was looking for 1.5″ depth of cut…

As it is now this 3″ thing can only cut to slightly over 1/2″ thickness and no more. I still can’t find a good tool to cut in place plastered walls and ceilings over 1.5″ thick that would have a shoe attachment with dust collection.

The key is the dust collection shroud.

Thanks – yeah now I saw the post, it was on the previous page where I did not look haha

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

CB
    Spectator

The optimum thickness I am looking for is about 1.5″ thick. I run into having to cut open rock lath ceilings and walls a lot. Actually may be 80% of the time that’s what I bump into and the other 20% modern sheetrock. The rock lath is a layer of 5/8″ or 3/4″ gypsum nailed to the wood framing, followed by a hand troweled on layer of brown coat plaster that is 3/4″ thick, then usually another layer of smooth Venetian or eggshell plaster about 1/8″ thick, then of course over the years another 6-8 coats of paint. This makes a total thickness of slightly over 1.5″. There is no metal lath or chicken wire in them except at all inside corner joints.

I have tried various tools to make cuts on these surfaces, carbide tipped blades on sawzalls don’t do anything, OMT with diamond blades do better, but real slow. The brown coat is hard as rock. The only effective tool that works is the old angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade, but dust control is a real issue, especially when I am standing under making cuts on a ceiling. My current tool is a 5″ angle grinder fitted with a cutting dust shroud, which helps some…but the dust shroud limits the cutting depth to a max of 7/8″, so first pass use the dust shroud, second pass remove the dust shroud, well…this cutoff tool with a built in DC would have been perfect, except the depth limitation.

Also, at the inside corner, where wire mesh or stiff lath are used, I have to score a clean line. Then there is no place for a dust shroud there, no matter what depth, as I need to get the blade close.

Can you start a separate thread with this issue?

The reason for a new thread is not because this problem is tangential to Milwaukee tools, but rather because this problem is interesting enough to deserve it’s own thread that is irrespective of Milwaukee tools, and for that matter, any brand of tool.

If a diamond blade has provided the most efficient cutting performance, apart from depth of cut and dust control, then there are a host of saws that have dust shrouds with vacuum port attachments from a variety of brands that might serve better than two passes with a grinder, where the second pass is without even a shroud.

Some of the solutions might be plug in. I’m going to mention Makita again, Makita model number 5057KB, a vacuum ported, transparently clear shrouded, 13 amp, side winding, blade right, fiber cement circular saw that accepts very common 7 1/4″ diamond blades that will give you more than 2″ depth of cut, that has a blade guard lever inboard, despite the fully enclosed shroud, so that plunge/pocket cutting in the middle of a ceiling could be accomplished:

There are about 5 other similar types of saws made by Makita alone, in various blade sizes, power capacities, RPMs, blade orientation, including a blade left, dry cut, 5″ masonry circular saw that has a bag and a vacuum attachment as well as a clear shroud (Makita 4100KB)…

I’m not advocating Makita tools, and I don’t have either of these tools above… I just so happened to be looking at Makita tool catalogs in the last couple of days due to my recent purchase of a dry wall saw. That isn’t to say that Milwaukee doesn’t have similar solutions. Or Bosch, for that matter. The new OSHA cement dust regs have motivated tool companies to FINALLY bring over to North America some of the dust control solutions that European regulations already required across the pond.

Five years ago, when I first considered a 6 1/2″ battery powered circular saw, I looked at the Milwaukee M18 line up, and found where the exact same saw in Europe had a dust control shroud, whereas the same models sold in the United States did not. I briefly looked into “importing” the shroud parts for model sold in Europe, but I don’t have time for that nonsense.

Dust control regulations (particularly with harmful substances that never dissolve) are REGULATIONS for a reason… that reason being that tool manufacturers have proven time and again that they will not voluntarily add content to their tools to make humans safer as long as they can get away with making their tools more profitable by thrifting out content in markets where there is no regulation.

So now that the United States has some regulations, your options for overhead cutting of plaster with more effective dust control solutions have likely expanded dramatically within the last year. An exploration of those options across ALL brands of tools is warranted, and shouldn’t be limited to just Milwaukee.

Hence, I suggest a new thread to resolve your specific problem, where this community can pitch in with their ideas from what they’ve stumbled across recently, and we can all learn more about what solutions promise to be effective, versus what solutions actually work.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Can you start a separate thread with this issue?

@CB
    , certainly. I will provide a link here after doing so.

Actually, I believe I have raised this issue about half a dozen times during the last year since I joined, but one of the problems with this site is due to the way the forum is organized, it is hard to find the “sweet spot” for a multi-disciplinary tool-centric discussion. I think I started off in the Power Tool > Grinder thread, then I talked about it in the dust collection thread, I may have talked about it in “What should Bosch make” thread, and eventually I concluded the solution to my problem is finding the “best cutting dust shroud”. Not sure where the best place to discuss this is. Certainly somewhere in Power Tools, may be under Dust Collection. Stay tuned.

Here is a new thread for the discussion:

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/best-tool-to-cut-old-thick-rock-lath-plaster-indoors-with-dust-control/#post-707162

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Milwaukee Heated Gloves

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Milwaukee Rover Pivoting Flood Light

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-tools/work-light/milwaukee-rover-flood-light-2114-20/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This looks interesting.

Milwaukee’s new M18 Fuel Quik-Lok system is launching with 4 interchangeable cordless outdoor power tool attachments.

https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-cordless-quik-lok-modular-outdoor-power-tools/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

This looks interesting.

Milwaukee’s new M18 Fuel Quik-Lok system is launching with 4 interchangeable cordless outdoor power tool attachments.

https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-cordless-quik-lok-modular-outdoor-power-tools/

I’ve been seeing that everywhere too. It seems like tool manufacturers go through waves of task dedicated tools and then attachment heavy tools. For years I was told tools that have many attachments like this were mediocre at everything they did instead of really good at just one thing like a dedicated tool would be. But technology has changed a lot over the years, so I would love to hear what people think about this new Swiss Army knife type yard tool.

Charlie

Instagram

CB
    Spectator

It seems like tool manufacturers go through waves of task dedicated tools and then attachment heavy tools. For years I was told tools that have many attachments like this were mediocre at everything they did instead of really good at just one thing like a dedicated tool would be. But technology has changed a lot over the years, so I would love to hear what people think about this new Swiss Army knife type yard tool.

These manufacturing “waves” you are talking about… I often wonder if they are motivated by “we’ve got that too ism” or by actual consumer demand.

In this case, Makita has already had an LXT x2 36v lithium ion power head, as well as a four stroke gasoline power head, that both use the same set of interchangeable tools. Is Milwaukee’s entry into this market merely a me too move?

Not shown are Makita’s 8″ edger, power broom, power paddle, and snow throwing attachments, new in 2018.

CB
    Spectator

Found photos of the bristle broom and paddle sweep attachments to Makita’s interchangeable power heads.

Looks like Makita is sweeping up this category. Milwaukee has got a LOT of catching up to do:

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 426 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.533 seconds