dcsimg

2016 Church Remodel

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

It seems like 20 GA or lighter stids tear up blades of the metal cutting circular saw. They vibrate to much.

Cutting thin metal is a pain in the butt. It does more vibrating that anything. If i need to be precise I sometimes clamp thin metal to a sacrificial backing board, but only if I need a really nice edge.

When I have to cut a lot of thin metal studs I add a wood block inside the keep the metal from flopping around or if you are using a chop saw I cut them from the back side.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If we have another big heavy Ga stud job like the Bowling alley we did, I will make a jig to lock the studs into to hold them tight. I think it will save on blades and make it very worthwhile.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The footings are all in place and the shoring is done. The plumbing is roughed in and the floor is patched. The steel will start to go up Monday. Once the steel is installed all of th e old walls can go away and we will actually be able to get something done. .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Looking good Kurt. Will you have lift for the steel?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a forklift being delivered on Monday. The big forklift and skid loader that I have will not fit through the 7′ doors. The smaller skidliader that will fit through the door will not lift the heavier beamsvthat are up to 2000 pounds. A lot of what we have to set is only 500 pounds but the heavier pieces govern what we have to do. We have a duct work lift that wevhavecset a lotbof steel up to 500 or 600 pounds with when doing remodels.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have the steel all inside and the forklift showed up. The steel is set and now it is time to hang the existing structure from the steel and remove all of old bearing walls. Setting the steel went well. We had all of the beams up in about 3 hours.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

We have the steel all inside and the forklift showed up. The steel is set and now it is time to hang the existing structure from the steel and remove all of old bearing walls. Setting the steel went well. We had all of the beams up in about 3 hours.

Nice! Don’t you wish you could get a fork lift inside on every job that needs steel beams and big beams? Sure beats struggling with them up a ladder.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Great job, that lift will make it easier for the beams, I’m sure you will be happy once you start moving forward after the beams are up.
    Do you need to have it inspected by an engineer before you remove the old walls or start closing the beams up.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We had all of the beams up in about 3 hours.

Loks like you will opening up that space and make a big room out of it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Beams look great. That’s a cute fork lift. It’s amazing what some steel I beams can do.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Quick for those beam to go in. Looking good.
    Good thing there was room enough for the forklift to get inside.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is some heavy duty steel , it looks about 3 times thicker than the steel they use in houses .

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Things seem to be coming along pretty good. Looks like an interesting project.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That is some heavy duty steel , it looks about 3 times thicker than the steel they use in houses .

The colums were 8″ wide flange beams that were 47 PLF and the beams were 8″ wide flange that were 68 PLF. most of the time we use beams less than 30 PLF and a lot taller, but for some reason the engineer stayed with short beams here and heavier to get the strength. the center web was about a 1/2″ thick and the top[ and bottom flange close to 1″. Due to the weight and thickness, the 8″ beam was actually 9″ tall, go figure.

The forklift made short work of everything, I don’t think we would have gotten things set without it as things had to go up then get slid over to go in place, thank heavens for side shift on forklifts. we had the columns set by hand then set the steel in about 3 hours once the lift showed up. The worst part about it is you have to pay a weeks rental and $150 delivery each way for the forklift to do a half a days work with it. I guess that beats the alternative however.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

The colums were 8″ wide flange beams that were 47 PLF and the beams were 8″ wide flange that were 68 PLF. most of the time we use beams less than 30 PLF and a lot taller, but for some reason the engineer stayed with short beams here and heavier to get the strength. the center web was about a 1/2″ thick and the top[ and bottom flange close to 1″. Due to the weight and thickness, the 8″ beam was actually 9″ tall, go figure.

The forklift made short work of everything, I don’t think we would have gotten things set without it as things had to go up then get slid over to go in place, thank heavens for side shift on forklifts. we had the columns set by hand then set the steel in about 3 hours once the lift showed up. The worst part about it is you have to pay a weeks rental and $150 delivery each way for the forklift to do a half a days work with it. I guess that beats the alternative however.

I would say it was a good call on renting it. If you have it for a week, is there any other things it will handy for in that time?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We don’t really need it anywhere else so I sent it back already. I guess it is just a part of the costs of the job. I had originally intended to sub the steel erection, but decided to self perform as the blocking required to be added to the steel to anchor all of the wood framing to had to be installed as the steel was erected and I did not think Iron workers would be keen on us slowing them down as they set the steel.

We don’t really need it anywhere else so I sent it back already. I guess it is just a part of the costs of the job. I had originally intended to sub the steel erection, but decided to self perform as the blocking required to be added to the steel to anchor all of the wood framing to had to be installed as the steel was erected and I did not think Iron workers would be keen on us slowing them down as they set the steel.

Did they give you a estimate for the work .

Always willing to learn .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We had a bid on The steel erection, which we beat fairly well. It is understandable however and not that they were trying to make a fortune on The job, just different dynamics. The steele erectors I had talked to were union which we are not, so there are different wage scales, not that my guys are not paid well, but the union wages are state wide no matter where you are working, Minneapolis or a smaller more rural area. Thry were also traveling to get to the job and had to figure travel time and the cost of bringing a couple of trucks . Not to mention that they need to make a profit on the job and our profit is built into the job costs. I had two bids that were only a couple hundred bucks apart so I think they were fair bids.

Ultimately the decision came down to being worried about slowing them down with the coordination we had to do to get out blocking in place and the extra charges we would potentially incur. Everything just clicked also which is a big part of how well things went.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have the metal studs on site and the steel is done. All of the roof loads have been transferred to the steel structure and the old bearing walls have been removed. As soon as the hollow metal frames come in the steel framing will go up.

Clev08
    Pro

That is some good looking steel work! What do you use to drill the holes through the beams? With that many holes I’d hate to do them with a regular drill.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.305 seconds