dcsimg

2016 Church Remodel

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I think we have pretty much everything exposed. We still have to demo out some bathrooms however, so you never know.

Bathrooms too, this is a big job. Any special considerations in remodeling bathrooms in a commercial building?

The biggest thing with bathrooms is meeting the ADA codes for accessibility. Our city is a stickler for them and if you are off by even an eighth inch to the wrong side of a requirement, you will be reworking whatever it is.

That’s the one thing when reno’ing a public building. The accessibility codes come into play.

One of the buildings that my employer owns, is so old and in need of work, they try their hardest not to do anything to it. The second floor has no accessibility at all and would need to be retrofitted if they pull any permit on it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

The only thing I hated about doing big commercial jobs like this was always having to wear a hard hat and work boots .I cant stand either one . The job itself is nice especially during the winter months .

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Very true about accessibility codes, but they are there for a reason. Yes, they are a pain to work around sometimes, but very worth it to those who require the codes be met.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Very true about accessibility codes, but they are there for a reason. Yes, they are a pain to work around sometimes, but very worth it to those who require the codes be met.

Agreed, I don’t have an issue with the codes, knowing the expectation of the code official and their “on the money” requirement, It just takes a little more time and planning to make sure it is correct the first time. Our Jurisdiction is easy to work in if you know the system, and the expectations. If you don’t know they you will pay a high price of admission to work here.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Kurt how long do expect this remodel to take?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good size project for winter work . What type of heating system will there be in that area . Any type of floor heat under tile .

Always willing to learn .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We are looking at an end of April Completion. Once we get our steel installed, I think it should go fairly quick. We start removing the bathrooms on Monday, that is the last big area of demo. we hope to have the underground for the new bathrooms done by the end of next week and the area ready to pour back. It would be great if we can get the bathrooms done by Easter, It will be close.

All of the heating is currently underfloor via ductwork and registers. We will be capping that off and installing a new roof top unit. They do not have any heat proposed for under the floor.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Here are a few more photo’s of the past weeks work.

The old footings are removed ready to pour new pad footings and we have started framing soffits. The bathrooms went away today and the concrete will be removed tomorrow for the revised plumbing.

we should have the footings poured by the end of the week. Now we are just waiting on structural steel.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The old footings are removed ready to pour new pad footings and we have started framing soffits

That’s a sweet footing hole!! I bet they lover that. What did you use to bust em up the concrete??

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Kurt, really like the way the ceiling is coming out. Looks like a complicated design but it is being very nicely executed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

The old footings are removed ready to pour new pad footings and we have started framing soffits. The bathrooms went away today and the concrete will be removed tomorrow for the revised plumbing.

Lots of work done there on the ceiling.
    That footing hole looks like quite the size, how big is it?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I metal studs and L metal is so good for building drops and soffits.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a Dewalt pavement breaker that we used to remove the footings. I looked at the Bosch, Hitachi, Makita, Wacker and the Dewalt when I was looking for one and the Dewalt had the most striking energy of them all and they were basically the same weight and price.

The footings are 5′ x 5′ with two mats of rebar.

The soffit in the ceiling is a drop of about 6′ and it is 20 x 30. Metal studs make soffits like this easy and a lot faster than wood would be. It is nice to be able to just have a square one, all we had on our bowling alley project were curved. Straight runs are so much faster.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Here are a few more photo’s of the past weeks work.

we should have the footings poured by the end of the week. Now we are just waiting on structural steel.

Nice work Kurt ! It reminds me of when I built a few schools years ago . I like big jobs like this the most .

The only thing I hated about doing big commercial jobs like this was always having to wear a hard hat and work boots .I cant stand either one . The job itself is nice especially during the winter months .

It’s so true once you work in sneakers for a time . Wearing boots really stinks . And you realize how much weight you use to were .

I metal studs and L metal is so good for building drops and soffits.

I totally agree metal is so much easy to build soffit work . Plus you get a straight line in my opinion .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I totally agree metal is so much easy to build soffit work . Plus you get a straight line in my opinion .

Yes it’s a lot easier to end up straight when you start out straight.

Yes it’s a lot easier to end up straight when you start out straight.

Learned most of my metal framing from commercial jobs we did . My old boss was a union carpenter . So i got a lot of tricks .

The steel soffit framing looks great. I like to work with steel but don’t do a whole lot of commercial work so it is pretty sparse. It looks like a heavier guage metal you used. What is your preferred cutting method for the heavier steel?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This is 20 GA metal for this project. We are using a Dewalt chop saw with a carborundum blade. It seems like 20 GA or lighter stids tear up blades of the metal cutting circular saw. They vibrate to much. Once you get to 18 GA we typically use the circular saw as they don’t vibrate as much.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It seems like 20 GA or lighter stids tear up blades of the metal cutting circular saw. They vibrate to much.

Cutting thin metal is a pain in the butt. It does more vibrating that anything. If i need to be precise I sometimes clamp thin metal to a sacrificial backing board, but only if I need a really nice edge.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.420 seconds