dcsimg

2016 Church Remodel

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

i’ve always wanted to buy an old church and convert to living quarters. that would be pretty awesome, i’ve seen a couple in toronto that have done that.

Ala Alice’s Restaurant LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

i’ve always wanted to buy an old church and convert to living quarters. that would be pretty awesome, i’ve seen a couple in toronto that have done that.

There are some churches up my way that have been converted into really nice looking homes .I have always wanted to do it myself .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

There was a church for sale on the main road where we have our lake place. it is a resort area, if you can say that about an area in Iowa. there are a lot of restaurants in the area. I thought someone should buy it and turn it into a restaurant and call it “Sinfully Delicious” or at least use that somewhere in the logo. The menu could also have similar takeoffs on the background of the building.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

There are some churches up my way that have been converted into really nice looking homes .I have always wanted to do it myself .

I live next door to a church and if it ever went up for sale I would desperately try to purchase it.
    I know if a developer gets their hands on it, they will fit as many as 5 or six high density townhomes there.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Here is the second half of the ceiling done. We have started concrete removal and excavation for the new footings . We will stare some of the stud work next week, but we have a couple of other projects to get some thi gs done on next week also.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Here is the second half of the ceiling done. We have started concrete removal and excavation for the new footings . We will stare some of the stud work next week, but we have a couple of other projects to get some thi gs done on next week also.

That is a pretty big job , What is the deadline for this job roughly ?

Those areas where you demoed the floor concrete has a lot running through them. Did you know that stuff was there? Do you have to re-route those items for the new footings?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s a big ceiling there, You do some big jobs. It looks good. That’s gonna be a lot of work taping and mudding the ceiling. Is that your guys or a sub?

staker
    Pro

Looks like everything is moving at a good pace. I have a friend that had bought a old church,cost a fortune to heat with all the old windows.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We are looking at an end of April completion.

Those areas where you demoed the floor concrete has a lot running through them. Did you know that stuff was there? Do you have to re-route those items for the new footings?

We knew two of the pipes were there at the footing but the other two were a surprise. In talking with the structural engineer we should be able to “adjust” the column location by a little to make things work. we were supposed to have a 18″ x 24″ pier on the footing, but in this case the engineer is going to let us set the column on the footing which will make things a lot easier. The duct work we will be filling with lean concrete to take care of that. It was to be abandoned anyway.

That’s a big ceiling there, You do some big jobs. It looks good. That’s gonna be a lot of work taping and mudding the ceiling. Is that your guys or a sub?

fortunately we do not have to tape the ceiling. the only area that will be visible is the area inside the metal track. the rest will get a drop ceiling below it. We had to install drywall for fire break reasons.

Looks like everything is moving at a good pace. I have a friend that had bought a old church,cost a fortune to heat with all the old windows.

this one was built in the 80’s so it is not as old and leaky as a lot of them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice progress Kurt. Lots of varying sub jobs on this project.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

We knew two of the pipes were there at the footing but the other two were a surprise. In talking with the structural engineer we should be able to “adjust” the column location by a little to make things work. we were supposed to have a 18″ x 24″ pier on the footing, but in this case the engineer is going to let us set the column on the footing which will make things a lot easier. The duct work we will be filling with lean concrete to take care of that. It was to be abandoned anyway.

Any ground penetrating radar being used to locate any of the stuff in the concrete? Nice job so far.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Nice work you guys have been doing, you think the time line is reasonable,
    I like the names you were coming up with for the church restaurants lol

The pipes in the concrete I’m on my phone, so the pictures are small, I see one looks like conduit, are the others the same, any water drains?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I live next door to a church and if it ever went up for sale I would desperately try to purchase it.
    I know if a developer gets their hands on it, they will fit as many as 5 or six high density townhomes there.

yah but the church next to you isn’t any beauty or anything, it is a modern blocky building, i am talking about those old school styled buildings. Those with the stained glass would look amazing.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Any ground penetrating radar being used to locate any of the stuff in the concrete? Nice job so far.

No , no GPR. at that particular column there was an old duct chase we had to remove and when we took the top off, we saw the water line and the large conduit going through the chase. As we chipped away more, we found the other two conduits.

I did not answer Dirty’s question about if we do the taping on our jobs. On this one we are subbing all of the taping. We typically only do small taping jobs or small repairs and sub all of our other drywall finishing.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Interesting work. Do you have everything exposed now, or is there potential for more surprises?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think we have pretty much everything exposed. We still have to demo out some bathrooms however, so you never know.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think we have pretty much everything exposed. We still have to demo out some bathrooms however, so you never know.

Bathrooms too, this is a big job. Any special considerations in remodeling bathrooms in a commercial building?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Bathrooms too, this is a big job. Any special considerations in remodeling bathrooms in a commercial building?

The biggest thing with bathrooms is meeting the ADA codes for accessibility. Our city is a stickler for them and if you are off by even an eighth inch to the wrong side of a requirement, you will be reworking whatever it is.

The other main thing is to make sure you have good shop drawings for toilet partitions and accessories to get your blocking right inside the walls. It is hard to but it in once the walls are finished. When in doubt, add blocking.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The biggest thing with bathrooms is meeting the ADA codes for accessibility. Our city is a stickler for them and if you are off by even an eighth inch to the wrong side of a requirement, you will be reworking whatever it is.

I figured the accessibility codes would be the tough part. So many regs that need to be considered and then ensuring that the guys follow them to the letter on the plans. Requires constant supervision and checking I am sure.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.584 seconds