dcsimg

2016 Church Remodel

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We got started woth the demolition on the final phase of our church remodel. Due to cold weather, we are phasing the demolition so as not to open up more than we can get enclosed in a day. The ceiling we are taking out has the insulation on top of it so everything is open when it comes down. As soon as possible we are installing the poly on the u derside of the roof trusses and getting the drywall installed so we can blow our insulation. Some things seem out of order but it is what you have to do to deal with 10 degrees below farenheit for this type of project. Even with an “inside winter project, weather can be a factor.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I am not sure what you are doing? Taking the ceiling down just to insulate? What all will you be doing?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This is the old sanctuary they added a new one a few years ago. This area will het divided into a couple of new rooms, get new bathrooms and then the center area will be a gathering area outside the new sanctuary that is beyond the temporary wall. We have load bearing walls to remoce and new steel columns and beams to install. New heating and cooling will also be installed for this area also.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Ok that helps . I had no idea what you was doing.lol

That seems like a cool project Kurt. Are they still having service in the new sanctuary while this project goes on?

I know what you mean about inside in winter…eliminates the snow and rain but doesn’t help with the cold. Are you subs on board to work a little out of order on things?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Kurt looks like a big job especially removing the load bearing walls.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

They are still using the rest of the building. There are a couple of other ways they can access tHe new sanctuary. There is also an education wing that we have remodeled both floors of in the previous phases.

Most of the subs are guys I work with a lot so theywill work with us to do what it takes to get the job done.

I enjoy jobs like this that are a little more challenging. We will end up doing a fair bit of shoring th hold up the structure while we add new footings and the new steel.

wow , that’s a nice big beam in the first picture, is that part of the load bearing you guys will be moving , or just reinforcing with steel posts. nice old brick wall , will you leave that exposed , or will that get hidden behind some jyp.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The beam you see has a similar above the ceiling that we still have to remove on the left. That is the one we will need to shore. The brick wall that is left will get covered with gyp board. That area will be just a storage room. The beams and columns will replace the stud wall you see in the third photo.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Really cool project your working on there. Noticed you have a JLG lift there, they are great for ceiling access.

A Working Pro since 2004

redwood
    Pro

I’ve resided a couple of church’s. They were actually very good jobs and they paid quick.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i’ve always wanted to buy an old church and convert to living quarters. that would be pretty awesome, i’ve seen a couple in toronto that have done that.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

This is the old sanctuary they added a new one a few years ago. This area will het divided into a couple of new rooms, get new bathrooms and then the center area will be a gathering area outside the new sanctuary that is beyond the temporary wall. We have load bearing walls to remoce and new steel columns and beams to install. New heating and cooling will also be installed for this area also.

Sounds like a big remodel ahead of you Kurt. That will be quite the space to heat & cool. Looking forward to your updates.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

The beam you see has a similar above the ceiling that we still have to remove on the left. That is the one we will need to shore. The brick wall that is left will get covered with gyp board. That area will be just a storage room. The beams and columns will replace the stud wall you see in the third photo.

Great job, how you guys going to replace those beams, what sort of equipment will you use, forklifts or the scissor lifts,

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

decent amount of work there

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

What a huge job. Sounds like you are having a good time with it too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That looks like a really nice winter job . It sure beats working outside this time of year .Looking forward to seeing progress pics

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The GlueLams you see will stay we have a couple of bearing walls to remove and replace with a steel beams and columns. We will most likely set them with a small forklift. I have not decided if we will set the steel ourselves or sub it to a steel erector. Most of the steel is only 8′ to 9′ off of the floor. the heaviest piece is about 1800 lbs. If the steel were accessible with my big forklift, we would almost definitely set it ourselves.

We have a new roof top unit going on the roof for heating and cooling.

I will be meeting with the shoring engineer tomorrow to go over shoring details for where we need to remove walls before the steel is in place to install footings. Many of the footings are 5′ x 5′ and 5′ to the bottom of the footing.

I also have the structural engineer coming tomorrow to review existing conditions on site so he can “check” his design.

The GlueLams you see will stay we have a couple of bearing walls to remove and replace with a steel beams and columns. We will most likely set them with a small forklift. I have not decided if we will set the steel ourselves or sub it to a steel erector. Most of the steel is only 8′ to 9′ off of the floor. the heaviest piece is about 1800 lbs. If the steel were accessible with my big forklift, we would almost definitely set it ourselves.

We have a new roof top unit going on the roof for heating and cooling.

I will be meeting with the shoring engineer tomorrow to go over shoring details for where we need to remove walls before the steel is in place to install footings. Many of the footings are 5′ x 5′ and 5′ to the bottom of the footing.

I also have the structural engineer coming tomorrow to review existing conditions on site so he can “check” his design.

Set it yourself! Sounds like a nice challenge. Since your on slab can you get a small lift in there? Or maybe a couple heavy duty duct lifts could do the job..

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I am thinking of renting a small forklift. with the 1800 lb beam, we would be looking 3 duct lifts. The one I have will handle 660 lbs and I am not sure we would be able to get the beams up on the lift. We have set several beams, up to about 500 pounds, and even large soffits with the duct lift in the past. It has worked well for something I got on an online auction for a few hundred bucks. There is some welding that will have to be done on the steel once in place that I will have to sub if I do it myself. I do not have anyone, on staff, who is a certified welder and my city will require that.

I do always like a challenge like this however.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.621 seconds