dcsimg

#2 TEAL TIME,,Lastest MAKITA TOOLS

This topic contains 722 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 1 day, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 723 total)
  • Author

CB
    Pro

I’m also not a fan of Milwaukee or Dewalt.

Clearly, you are now a Makita fan.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Is the fan movable from the back to the front or side?

I wonder if this could help me with crawlspace work when temperature and humidity are 120 and 99% respectively. But I have to be laying and moving on my back sweating bullets and soldering or messing with jacks or whatever.

CB
    Pro

In the crawl spaces I’ve worked in, the fan would only continue to stir up the dust in the air that I already disturbed by my wiggling to get there.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Just one more footnote about the Milwaukee Packout boxes because Kevin mentioned the auto lock feature of the L-boxxes requiring the two claps on the sides to uncouple. The Packout boxes also auto lock as you slide the box and the uncoupling mechanism is at the front!

This is important if you are planning to stack say four boxes per row in a van or garage, and you have multiple rows side by side that are right up against each other. Say you want to take the top box out in row 2, but you don’t have access to the bottom of both sides to uncouple it because row 1 and 3 are in the way! You have to slide the entire row out to uncoupled one box, and the same when you put it back. The workaround is to leave room on both sides, or to get extra dolly under each stack to help with the slide in and out, both are not space or cost efficient.

I like the front uncouple feature and the corner metal handles of the Packout, Those are not features that were immediately obvious to me just looking at pics, until I played with one.

Still I think the Packout boxes are overpriced and too big length/width wise.

CB
    Pro

The T handle Tanos functions the same, right?

Assuming several columns of T lock boxes are stacked side by side in the van with zero clearance between them, and assuming one wants to get a middle row box in a middle situated column… the mere rotation of the front T handle alone is enough to release all the boxes above the desired box in the target column, without having to pull the entire column forward into the cluttered center floor of the van, right?

And you are saying that the Milwaukee PackOut boxes have this same capability?

Doobie
    Pro

I’m also not a fan of Milwaukee or Dewalt.

Clearly, you are now a Makita fan.

While I somewhat dislike the term…..yes, I am now a Makita FANboy. Lol!

Is the fan movable from the back to the front or side?

No. It’s situated in a zip in comportment in the center of the lower back of the jacket. But what you may not have noticed as all I did was power it up with the jacket layin on my work table, is when it is worn, it puffs up the whole jacket including your arms with blown in air.

I wonder if this could help me with crawlspace work when temperature and humidity are 120 and 99% respectively. But I have to be laying and moving on my back sweating bullets and soldering or messing with jacks or whatever.

I’m thinking it’s not the greatest for being in an insulation filled attic crawling around and such. You’d not only be blowing in via the fan that is drawing in surrounding air itchy airborne fibers floating around directly into the jacket, but also the fabric is extremely thin and susceptible to getting snagged and ripped in a space like an attic.

In the crawl spaces I’ve worked in, the fan would only continue to stir up the dust in the air that I already disturbed by my wiggling to get there.

Exactly!

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The T handle Tanos functions the same, right?

Assuming several columns of T lock boxes are stacked side by side in the van with zero clearance between them, and assuming one wants to get a middle row box in a middle situated column… the mere rotation of the front T handle alone is enough to release all the boxes above the desired box in the target column, without having to pull the entire column forward into the cluttered center floor of the van, right?

And you are saying that the Milwaukee PackOut boxes have this same capability?

Yes. The Packout unlocks with a squeeze in the middle where you may put a padlock to lock the box. You squeeze it and the box uncouples. I am not near the box now but I will be next to it Monday and will take a pic of the mechanism on how it locks and unlocks then. I may start a different thread in the tool storage forum because I don’t want to keep hijacking this Makita thread.

The corners metal profiles and the lock/unlock mechanism convinced me Milwaukee has thought this one through in terms of mobile transport and handling. BUT, where are the drawers? They missed out on a drawer solution, or may be they believe a drawer box cannot withstand the harsh weatherproof and impact resistance nature of the other boxes and opted out.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Well, I was hoping that the inflated jacket will give enough buoyancy to my upper body to make me semi levitate so the wiggling will be minimize LOL.

No. It’s situated in a zip in comportment in the center of the lower back of the jacket. But what you may not have noticed as all I did was power it up with the jacket layin on my work table, is when it is worn, it puffs up the whole jacket including your arms with blown in air.

Probably not in an attic due to the fiberglass or blown insulation, since in a low head room attic I typically have to move with my stomach facing down since the work will most likely be low between the ceiling joists or truss bottom chords. In a crawlspace I am always on my back since the work is more likely to be higher between the floor joists.

May have to wait till a drone that can support human weight and hover an inch above ground.

CB
    Pro

BUT, where are the drawers? They missed out on a drawer solution, or may be they believe a drawer box cannot withstand the harsh weatherproof and impact resistance nature of the other boxes

It’s coming. The Milwaukee Pull Out.

Not complete protection, but a lot quicker to get tools in and out.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m really looking at getting a Makita 18volt nibbler.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CB
    Pro

This Uline (H-7161) is only $175 for the entire stack of separable boxes with drawers and dolly, all in.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

oh really, i didnt know makita made a nibbler.

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

well yes thry do, but its a 300$tool. Not in the budget right now.

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro

What is it that you feel you want it for?

I’m lookin at getting this Makita fan now.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/DCF300Z

I bought the smaller 18V fan earlier this year and have used it lots so far. This one also oscillates side to side and is significantly larger.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Your jobmax doesn’t have a nibbling head?

Doobie
    Pro

BUT, where are the drawers? They missed out on a drawer solution, or may be they believe a drawer box cannot withstand the harsh weatherproof and impact resistance nature of the other boxes

It’s coming. The Milwaukee Pull Out.

Not complete protection, but a lot quicker to get tools in and out.

This Uline (H-7161) is only $175 for the entire stack of separable boxes with drawers and dolly, all in.

OK….let’s maybe move the Milwaukee stuff to the Red thread now that it has long now no longer pertained to Makita gear in any meaningful manner.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/2018-new-milwaukee-tools/

Uline? Never heard of them/that. Nothing to do with Mak8ta either. Sorry!

CB
    Pro

DWB… are you posting a three part conversation with yourself? Do you have a Harvey at your side that we don’t know about? I wish I did… could come in handy as an assistant… without paying employment taxes!

CB
    Pro

OK….let’s maybe move the Milwaukee stuff to the Red thread now that it has long now no longer pertained to Makita gear in any meaningful manner.

Uline? Never heard of them/that. Nothing to do with Mak8ta either. Sorry!

“Sorry!”?? If you want to play mod, feel free to move my posts whereever you like.

Was it not you who brought up tool boxes of other brands before buying the Makita boxes?

In the organic flow of that conversation upthread after you brought up other brands of tool system boxes, five concerns eventually emerged: compatibility, durability, usability, portability, and dollar cost value for what you get.

And while it took some convincing to get you to believe that the Maktia boxes were compatible with other Tanos produced boxes of different brands, it didn’t take any convincing at all for you to see the value inherent in the Makita branded boxes versus the Festool, at one third the price.

Yet other participants in this community explored the value equation a bit further, and brought up aspects of usability that might be considered to be shortcomings in the Makita boxes… specifically citing the lack of side handles for multiple ways of grasping boxes, and not being able to withdraw a box from the middle of a stack.

Where any product costs XX, yet lacks Y, the value equation is legitimately called into question. Can the same utility, or lack thereof, be had for less. And the answer could be yes. Here is another portable tool box, with front access drawers. If you don’t like “Red”, this one is yellow:

https://www.amazon.com/Stackable-Toolbox-Rolling-Organizer-Telescopic/dp/B00WMLYFAQ/ref=pd_day0_hl_469_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00WMLYFAQ&pd_rd_r=78896fbf-1756-11e9-b24d-05ff6573df22&pd_rd_w=YOAtY&pd_rd_wg=iJYwJ&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=2ANXV1X4NMPGT947ERMJ&psc=1&refRID=2ANXV1X4NMPGT947ERMJ

$119 all in for everything included. The brand on this one is Stalwart. Just because I never heard of Stalwart before, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. This box stack is only slightly different than the $175 Uline toolbox (BTW, Uline is one of the largest shipping and packaging supply products companies in North America, with offices in two provinces in Canada, Mexico, as well as throughout the United States).

At $119 for the entire stack of separable drawer boxes, with a built in collapsible dolly… one really begins to question how much value a teal colored brand matched tool box brings to the task of transporting tools. By comparison, Makita’s MakPac collapsible dolly alone, without any MakPac boxes, is $249 USD on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Makpac-Trolley-Tr00000001/273569278264?hash=item3fb1ffe938:g:0PsAAOSwVP5b80VN:rk:9:pf:0

(The link above is for $406 Australian dollars, but I did find it cheaper in the UK, still mid to high $200’s in USD though)

The 4 wheeled Makita dolly is equally expensive, at $200 USD average, with variance based on currency exchange rate where purchased.

https://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/makita-makpac-platform-trolley-4-wheel-p-83886.html

(The link above is for $359 Australian dollars, but I did find it cheaper in the UK, still low $200’s in USD though)

Neither of these two types Makita branded tool box dollys that are purpose built to snap in and secure the MakPac systainer boxes appear to be readily available in the USA, and are more often than not listed as out of stock in the UK. When this has happened in the past, it has often forshadowed the product being discontinued from production prior to it being announced as discontinued in the retail space, as distribution continues until stock on hand in the channel depletes without replenishment. It is possible that Australia still has stock remaining, which is why I was able to find orderable product there.

Why this is relevant to this thread as it has evolved harkens back to the discussion you initiated… comparing the value of the Makita branded boxes to those of Festool. If Makita boxes are 1/3 to 1/4 (per Amazon reviews) the cost of Festool, then it seems likely that the same price ratio difference could apply to the dolleys designed to move around these system boxes… which might be of interest to anyone who doesn’t already have Festool dolleys.

Taking the value evaluation even further, and considering the lack of useable features like side handles and drawers, a look of alternative portable tool box systems on the market serves as a lens of reality through which to view what all one is really getting with the Makita boxes at their so called “bargain” price compared to the Festool, when looking at all of these boxes through the prism of the task at hand: storing, sorting, transporting, and easily accessing tools.

The question of whether the Makita boxes rely entirely on top handle of top box to carry the entire weight of the stack of boxes clipped together, with the load of the lower boxes relying on the strength of the plastic lid clips, box, to carry the the strength and durability of the small plastic clips that snap the lids on, wasn’t quite covered yet, but one aspect of Makita boxes that other brands of the same type of box may lack are radiused lids that might permit fingers to grab underneath a middle box in the stack in order to carry or lift the entire stack without stressing the two pins of the top handle, and also to be able to lift the mini stack high enough for the bottom to clear the floor of the truck or van.

Doobie
    Pro

Is the cooler taller than, shorter than, or the same height as the X-Large MakPac (Size 4)?

I don’t know for sure yet, but looking at the specs of each, I think the cooler is a few inches taller. I should be able to tell for sure once I receive the X-Larrge Makita box on Thursday.

They’re both the same size.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

This looks very similar to one I found earlier this year that I thought was interesting but most reviews of that one I saw was negative.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/stalwart-stackable-mobile-tool-chest-not-bad-design-poor-execution/

In the organic flow of that conversation upthread after you brought up other brands of tool system boxes, five concerns eventually emerged: compatibility, durability, usability, portability, and dollar cost value for what you get.

That’s one of the reasons it’s really hard to search for information on BTP because the forums and topics are very granular, and often subjects are sliced and diced in so many different ways there are significant overlaps in many threads, and very easy to wander off into a whole different discussion in threads, and often times the useful discussions are kind of buried. Like in here we are having a pretty interesting and informative discussion on tool storage, but it launched off a Makita specific thread, and I think had the discussion happened in the job site organization forum it would have gotten more participation because some posters may have not commented because it sounds like it’s kind of drifting off topic, however if you put a new thread in there to continue the conversation it would just kill it since it’s already losing steam.

The only topic that seems to stay on course is the weather thread LOL.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 723 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.691 seconds