dcsimg

#2 TEAL TIME,,Lastest MAKITA TOOLS

This topic contains 169 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 1 hour, 57 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 170 total)
  • Author

CB
    Pro

Costco is actually where I pickup empty trays. They are a great resource for the trays, as they spawn a never ending supply of the kind that interlock into each other as they stack.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Received a couple more Makita systainer storage boxes. One large, and one extra large.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Received a couple more Makita systainer storage boxes. One large, and one extra large.

Those look really nice. Are they compatible with the Bosch L-Boxx? ie will they stack together and lock?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Congrats Kevin , the boxes look like they are smiling lol
    They look like nice boxes.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have to buy one of those for my Makita 9920.
    It came without a box.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

How do you like the Makita boxes? I was looking into them but I didn’t like that they don’t have front and dual side handles to allow you to carry them different ways depending on weight and distribution of what you have inside.

I also saw reviews that to open and close the two clasps a user needs gorilla strength thumbs LOL. TRUE or FALSE?

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Those look really nice. Are they compatible with the Bosch L-Boxx? ie will they stack together and lock?

No they are not L-Boxx compatible.

They are compatible with Festool and Tanos Systainers which I already have lots of.

I also saw reviews that to open and close the two clasps a user needs gorilla strength thumbs LOL. TRUE or FALSE?

It’s easy to fix the issue if a latch is acting very tight. A minor sanding on both sides of a stubborn latch in a specific spot on each side is all that is needed.

I was looking into them but I didn’t like that they don’t have front and dual side handles to allow you to carry them different ways depending on weight and distribution of what you have inside.

I have never had an issue with that and I’ve owned dozens of them for up to ten years now as their sister Festool and Tanos versions.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have never had an issue with that and I’ve owned dozens of them for up to ten years now as their sister Festool and Tanos versions.

May be your usages are different from mine.

There are times I would use the top handle, and there are times especially with parts organizers I would like to use the front handle and carry a box like a brief case. Then when I have something really loaded up I prefer to use both side handles.

This Dewalt tote has both top handles and dual side handles which comes in handy when really heavy.

One of the reasons I think the Packout boxes are selling well is their corner design. They have the metal profiles that protect the corners, but can also be used as handles. So you have a front handle, a long top handle, and handles on all four corners so you can carry that box in many different ways. It really helps when you have to position your different boxes into the truck, if you lay them down flat you use the top handle, if you slide them in like books you use the front handle, if you want to slide them back further to make room for other boxes you use the corner handles.

I wouldn’t be able to live with just one top handle.

CB
    Pro

Is the cooler taller than, shorter than, or the same height as the X-Large MakPac (Size 4)?

I don’t know for sure yet, but looking at the specs of each, I think the cooler is a few inches taller. I should be able to tell for sure once I receive the X-Larrge Makita box on Thursday.

Well, what is the verdict, now that your X-Large box has arrived?

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Is the cooler taller than, shorter than, or the same height as the X-Large MakPac (Size 4)?

I don’t know for sure yet, but looking at the specs of each, I think the cooler is a few inches taller. I should be able to tell for sure once I receive the X-Larrge Makita box on Thursday.

Well, what is the verdict, now that your X-Large box has arrived?

I didn’t forget, simply that it is super cold outside now and the cooler is in my shed. I need another excuse to go there to compare. Maybe today.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

How do you like the Makita boxes? I was looking into them but I didn’t like that they don’t have front and dual side handles to allow you to carry them different ways depending on weight and distribution of what you have inside.

May your usages are different from mine.

There are times I would use the top handle, and there are times especially with parts organizers I would like to use the front handle and carry a box like a brief case. Then when I have something really loaded up I prefer to use both side handles.

I just don’t see that all as being some kind of major plus that warrants all the lost space of the interior in having those corner handles.

I’m also not a fan of Milwaukee or Dewalt. Some of their stuff may be fine, but they make too much junk that I just don’t trust those brands except in one-off situations which are rare that I’ll be comfortable to buy a specific tool that I’ve read nothing but praise about.

Between the two, I would trust Dewalt more for their totes and containers much moreso than Milwaukee. I just find Milwaukee has gotten really gimmicky over the years and sells sizzle more than steak so to speak and their overall quality level is suspect to me.

One of the problems with these totes and tool boxes is long term durability. You just don’t know what real quality level in the plastics they are using that will become brittle over time due to UV rays and fail long before other brands would. I know the Sytainer/Tanos stuff lasts. Never heard of anybody complaining that they seem to disintegrate in time. With Dewalt and Milwaukee, I would be surprised if they are as durable.

Even all the Makita Systainers I’ve recently acquired, as it is made in China and only licensed by Tanos to Makita and not made by Tanos, I wouldn’t doubt they are made with inferior plastics compared to the Tanos/Systainer ones. But for the price I paid, I don’t care. I’ll take my chances and hope to get 10 years out of them before they may start to show issues with failing due to deterioration of cheaper plastic being used, but at least Makita is a brand that I am much more inclined to trust over Dewalt or Milwaukee and hopefully this turns out to not be the case with my Makita cases and they last a very long time.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Most brands front and side handles do not take up extra room. Almost all the top handle boxes do take room from the height in the middle. Ridgid for example has side handles that are metal, no loss of interior space.

and for their tote they have two side handles like the metal one that hinges out and up, or you can use the cutouts in the plastic.

The handles are probably the #1 criteria when I make my tool box purchase decision. Why I ruled out Makita right off the bet, and also led me to consider the L-Boxx because it had front and top handles.

I didn’t end up going with the Milwaukee myself because I also thought the corner metal was a compromise for losing some interior room and it’s more a “bump resistant” thing with some cool factor built in. However I bought a 3 tool combo from Milwaukee reccently and it came in one of those boxes. Even though I can’t really use it as my stackable toolbox solution (because its too wide, and I believe way overpriced), I came to appreciate these corners. There are many times when things are loaded up you want to grab those corners with both hands instead of one. If you are standing and loading on and off a truck or van, the first box is at the hip/waist level, if you stack 3-4 high, the one on top could be at shoulder or eye level, imagine grabbing the top handle of that one with one hand, lift it up slightly and move it onto the dolly, if that box has weight it’s much less work to do with both hands on the side. Those corner handles come in handy the higher you stack. Also, while inside a van, if you have to slide a stack of three or four boxes over two inches, because you need to make room for something else, the corners make it real easy to do so from the front, side, or back in one motion, the top handle ones you have move out of the way one by one, then move back to the new position one by one, unless you have complete unobstructed space on one side you can push. I came to appreciate those Milwaukee corners and they are not gimmicky at all in my opinion. Now doesn’t mean I am switching to these boxes instead but to me handles and box dimensions are my top considerations in choosing mobile storage boxes.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Like you said Sami, what’s important to you and how you use your storage boxes is different from what I prioritize. I hope they last for you, I really do. But as stated, long term, that’s one of the reasons I shy away from what are the boxes available thru BB stores for the most part. I just don’t trust their long term viability.

I also don’t want to get on a third type of storage box system. All the Festool/Tanos and now Makita boxes I have are compatible with each other. The Bosch Sortimo/L-Boxxes are not as desirable for a variety of reasons for me, but I acquired a bunch of them over the last few years either via redemptions coming in them or in buying tools that came in them. I have bought a few empty L-Boxxes also either because they were on sale for real cheap, but also for storing some oddball tools because the L-Boxx is wider and my existing Systainer type boxes weren’t amenable for.

But I’m really not crazy about the L-Boxxes because of how they auto-couple together and require two hands to uncouple except of course for the newer style that is now coming out in NA for which I only own one of that newer type. I actually tend to stack my L-Boxxes staggered at a 90 degree to each other quite a lot in order to deal with the coupling frustration.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I actually tend to stack my L-Boxxes staggered at a 90 degree to each other quite a lot in order to deal with the coupling frustration.

So you built a pyramid of L-Boxxes LOL?

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I actually tend to stack my L-Boxxes staggered at a 90 degree to each other quite a lot in order to deal with the coupling frustration.

No. Kinda hard to take good pics for this as the6 are stacked in a small room on dollies, but I think you’ll see what I mean.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

No. Kinda hard to take good pics for this as the6 are stacked in a small room on dollies, but I think you’ll see what I mean.

OK got it. That sucks that you have to work around them that way! Don’t ever try to lift multiple boxes if you have them uncoupled and staggered they will tumble down on you!

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Received my Makita fan jacket. I can see this being used when I need to go up into my shed’s loft area for more than a few quick minutes on scorching hot summer days.

It was on clearance for $50, so why not? Not sure I would have even gambled that much on something like this if it wasn’t offered by a brand like Makita.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Received my Makita fan jacket.

LOL!!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Received my Makita fan jacket.

LOL!!!

LoL
    Congrats Kevin. I’ll be curious to see how and when you will be using this , and definitely curious to know what you think about it.

CB
    Pro

(double post-sorry)

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 170 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.627 seconds