dcsimg

#2 TEAL TIME,,Lastest MAKITA TOOLS

Viewing 20 posts - 881 through 900 (of 907 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I see Makita has entered the pop rivet game with 2 pop tools.
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/cordless/makita-18v-cordless-rivet-tool-two-tools-with-different-power-levels/50982/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_mediu

That looks like a killer light. Makita has really been upping their tool game lately

Edit,, it took me about 4 tries to get this posted..It seems like it will not post with the image I had in it.. so sad the software it drives people away.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

edit,,, yup LMAO,, no longer can post a pic off of another page.

Dirty

CB
    Blocked

Let’s see if this image works…

(Photo of EPDM rubber grip handle and adjustment tabs I added to the Makita rear handle saw after first getting it and finding the top handle too skinny, and the all metal tabs too puny for big hands.)

So far, the image tag worked. This addendum is added on edit.

If the image isn’t there by the time you read this post, then the image’s disappearance would not likely be a function of forum software, as the image appeared just fine after initially posting, and following this edit.

Another dynamic would most likely be at play.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I just did a test with 2 pics in their own brackets
    [ img][ /img]
    no show up!

Dirty

CB
    Blocked

I just did a test with 2 pics in their own brackets
    [ img][ /img]
    no show up!

Your image tags have an extra space in them.

Is that by intent?

If not, then remove the space between the leading bracket and the letter “i” in the beginning command.

Likewise, remove the space between the leading bracket and the “forward slash” in the ending command.

Try posting your image with these spaces removed.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Your image tags have an extra space in them.

Is that by intent?

Yes it is. If I don’t use a space in each one they won’t post

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    RonW
    Holladay, Tn

The Best New Makita Tools from STAFDA

I should have went t the show this year. Looks like I missed some cool new stuff.

I like Makita is getting a radio that charges. The size is better than the Powerboxx.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I’m all for cordless , but I actually do like the idea of being able to use both power source for those lights. I think it’s a good idea.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MAKITA 18V Cordless 9″ Drywall Sander W/AWS – XLS01Z

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

MAKITA 18V Cordless 9″ Drywall Sander W/AWS – XLS01Z

I took a good look at this sander last weekend at the big Woodcraft sale. I really Like the AWS system. I have not gotten into ant AWS tools yet. If I had the AWS vac I may have gotten the drywall sander. Sadly my track saw is not AWS,, may have been why I got such a good deal on it.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Makita XBU03 18V LXT Blower | Lightest in Class and Powerful

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

CB
    Blocked

This morning I get a call that another nail gun was needed by one of the guys on a subfloor lift and level, and of course it’s Sunday. Since I had the company Home Depot account card, I arrange to meet the lead at the nearest store forthwith. While squeezing through the all too narrow tool corral aisle where nail guns and nails are displayed, I noticed that Home Depot now had the new Makita AN924, priced at $229.00.

Makita’s AN924 is the new for 2019 replacement to Makita’s previous jack of all trades AN923. I call the previous AN923 the jack of all trades, because it is capable of shooting a stud splitting 3.5″ long .162″ thick LA Code nail (code enforced post Northridge quake).

This is a full 16D common nail, not a box nail, not greenie sinker, and definitely not the typical 3.25″ long .131″ thick 21° collated “framing” nail typically fed through most framing nail guns, that is by dimension equivalent to a 12D common nail, but is also referred to as a “16 short”.

That the previous AN923 could shoot this code nail, and still shoot a little 2″ long .113″ siding or fence board nail, is what made the AN923 a relatively unknown and certainly under appreciated “jack of all trades.”

Late last year I was somewhat surprised when I saw Makita’s future product announcement for the AN923’s successor model, which not surprisingly is named the AN924. What was surprising was that the newer model was no longer rated to fire 3.5″ x .162″ nails, and instead topped out at 3.5″ x .148″.

Coupled with the downgrade from being able to shoot the thicker code nails was the fact that the new AN924 required more air delivery, at 6.2 SCFM @ 90 psi, than the previous AN923, which only required 5.1 SCFM @ 90 psi. So the older gun, can shoot a thicker nail, using less air. Hmmmmm, why then, would Makita bother building something new, and go further by stating that the new gun was their best framing nailer yet?

Like teal or not, Makita is well known for incrementally improving their tools with each successive iteration, always adding more utility, more features, or solving previous problems. Therefore, it isn’t too much of a leap of faith to assume that despite requiring more air to shoot less nail, the AN924 most likely must offer enough improvement over the AN923 for Makita to justify the manufacturing expense of producing an update.

Here’s one improvement that I read about in the early product announcement of the AN924, that is curiously missing from Makita marketing materials today. That improvement is called the cylinder valve drive firing system. The cylinder valve drive design is what made the Hitachi NR83 framing nailer the most respected go to pneumatic framing nailer for the last 40 years. I have a couple of them. They are my favorite to use. (Home Depot doesn’t carry Hitachi or Metabo HPT in store).

So basically, Makita copied Hitachi’s cylinder valve drive nail gun head design (perhaps the Hitachi patent expired… it has been over 40 years), and even said as much in the future product announcement, even though no mention is made of this on Makita’s product information page today. Perhaps Metabo HPT took exception to Makita’s choice in words. That much is speculation, but in terms of the tool, there is no doubt that the cylinder valve drive system works well for rapid repeatability and reliability.

The next obvious improvement that the AN924 has over the AN923 is nail gun magazine, where strips can be dropped from the top, as opposed to slot loaded from the back end. Again, this is another copy of the Hitachi NR83 top load work flow, but Makita added a twist… the AN924 magazine is an aluminum drop top, as opposed to the steel sheet metal magazine of the NR83. Not only is the aluminum lighter, it also doesn’t bend as easily as the stamped magazine of the NR83.

Another comparative difference between Makita’s AN924 vs Hitachi’s NR83A5 …the A5 suffix is latest and most current iteration of the Hitachi/Metabo HPT framing nail gun that remains the standard by which all others are compared and judged… is that Makita’s AN924 can still shoot a 3.5″ nail (90mm), even if only .148″ thick; whereas the NR83A5 is still limited to only a 3.24″ (83mm) nail. Hence the 83 in the name NR83A5.

Finally, the AN924, at $229, is between $100 to $150 less expensive to purchase retail, in a pinch, on a Sunday morning, than any available local source (two lumber yards and a Lowe’s) where an NR83A5 might be found, at prices ranging from $329 to $389.

I reached up to the very top shelf of the upstock to find the only AN924 in the Home Depot tool aisle, besides the one on display. Brand new unopened box, pristine, as if it had only just arrived. I put it and a small bottle of air tool oil in the cart, handed over the HD account card, and left, kind of jealous that I don’t get to try it out first (the guys were waiting on the job, and by this time probably thought we went out to breakfast).

When I hear how the gun worked out, I’ll stop by this thread again to report the impressions.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Makita XPT 3-Speed Impact Wrench XWT11 – Not Too Big Not Too Small

https://homefixated.com/makita-xpt-3-speed-impact-wrench-xwt11/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_update_from_home_fixated&utm_term=2019-12-25

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I needed a couple new brad nail guns as I have not had good luck with the Hitachi’s (Metabo HPT) I have been buying in the past. I thought I would try the Makita’s. I found a good sale on them a while back.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    Doobie

Bought the 18V floor sweep accesorie for my Makita power head.

This is an accesory I can see thru many times in the past will overcome the issues related with using other methods.

Mostly intended for real contractors, but I know its a time saver for me for many scenarios as a non-pro.

Might even be using it at times for some snow issues before the season changes.

Viewing 20 posts - 881 through 900 (of 907 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.005 seconds