dcsimg

#2 TEAL TIME,,Lastest MAKITA TOOLS

Viewing 20 posts - 861 through 880 (of 892 total)
  • Author

Looks to me an interesting pole saw to use. Would be interested to see how it performs when you do get to use it, particularly whether the powershaft body with the pole saw fully extended with the attachment is still easy to handle, or does it require you to move a bit closer to the front side of the saw to keep a better balance, especially if you are on a ladder trying to reach a higher branch. Also how easy is it to remove/attach the extender piece if you are standing on a crotch of a tree trying to lengthen or shorten the saw holding three pieces at the same time.

I see the advantage of the powershaft system with multiple heads speak to it’s versatility and “stickness” on progressively being able to get more functionalities on your investment on the shaft and battery platform.

Yet I also see the convenience of pole saws that seems to have been optimized as a chainsaw in terms of telescoping poles, mid mounted motor to help with balance, and on some of the electric model, the ability to switch between a pole saw and a regular chainsaw by designing them in a modular fashion allowing the middle pole to be completely eliminated.

Hope all these plusses can merge together in one place one brand soon.

But then again, if a chainsaw drone is available while I control the saw 30′ high using my cell phone while drinking coffee indoors, why would one need a pole at all?

See now you’re talking , here we go again with those drones 🤫
    I’m hoping to be able to control my drone robot of myself at work so I can lay in bed while drinking my coffee LoL

CB
    Pro

Makita Vs Metabo HPT Impact Driver

https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/makita-vs-metabo-hpt-impact-driver-ptr-thursday-throwdown/50308/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=the_best_new_tools_from_gie_2019_plus_the_latest_news_and_reviews_for_pros&utm_term=2019-10-28

That’s a nice review and I agree with the review. I do have and use on a daily basis both of those impacts.

Gee I see another one of my post got edited,,

I haven’t been on much this week, so I got to ask. Why are posts being edited? Power trip maybe?

I haven’t been on much this week either. Nor any week in particular, but I too, want to know what part of which post of Dirty’s was edited.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I see in Japan they have a small duel bevel sliding miter saw out on the XGT 40 volt battery. I hope when that battery comes to the US Makita releases some missing tools they need on the market.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CB
    Pro

Of course Makita waited in silence until I committed $3,500 to the LXT platform before announcing their new direction.

Doobie

Of course Makita waited in silence until I committed $3,500 to the LXT platform before announcing their new direction.

I can’t say I’m upset about getting on their 18V in a similar committment since a year and a half ago. I have a mix of dual 18V and singular 18V tools that I also bought that makes it worthwhile. The range of 40V will be limited for some time.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It sounds like the 18V and 18Vx2 will be parallel platforms to the 40 V.

With the proliferation of their 18V lineup, I would guess they will not kill it. If they move on to a revised battery configuration I would guess they will have an adapter like Dewalt so as not to PO a lot of customers.

Dewalt is basically running parallel lines with their 6o volt and the 818 V lines. I rarely see the 60 V except at full line tool stores.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It sounds like the 18V and 18Vx2 will be parallel platforms to the 40 V.

With the proliferation of their 18V lineup, I would guess they will not kill it. If they move on to a revised battery configuration I would guess they will have an adapter like Dewalt so as not to PO a lot of customers.

Dewalt is basically running parallel lines with their 6o volt and the 818 V lines. I rarely see the 60 V except at full line tool stores.

I think it will be parallel platforms moving forward. I can’t see them sunsetting the 18V or 18x2V lines.

However, they mentioned this is a totally different platform for batteries, chargers and tools that will not be cross compatible. In their press release:

Makita 40V max XGT™ is a new standalone cordless system of tools, equipment, batteries and chargers. XGT will stand side-by-side with the industry-leading 18V LXT® System, giving users more battery-powered solutions for a truly cordless job site.

“Two new batteries will debut at launch, including a 2.5 Ah 40V XGT pack and a 4.0 Ah pack. Users of Makita tools need to keep in mind these new packs are not compatible with current Makita 18V tools. Makita claims the new BL4025 2.5 Ah packs come rated at 90 Wh and can put out around 1150 Watts of peak power. The larger BL4040 4.0 Ah pack has a 144 Wh capacity and ramps peak power up to 1510 Watts.”

The terminal contacts on the 40V tools are bigger thicker so I think an adapter would be difficult because these tools would need more power going to the tools.

More quotes:

“Existing users of Makita cordless power tools may wonder why the company is putting out a whole new Makita XGT tools platform that doesn’t carry backward compatibility with its existing LXT 18V and 18V X2 products. Just the other day, a couple of us discussed this very thing.

In particular, we wondered about Makita’s long term plan to address the eventual limitations of 18650 cells. Current X2 tools utilize battery packs side-by-side in close proximity. Upgrading existing X2 tools to the newer, taller, 21700 battery cells would be impossible since the packs, now significantly wider, wouldn’t fit. One option would be to stack batteries vertically…another would be to use cumbersome adapters and redesign tools over time…

Makita XGT cordless tools 2
    Redesigning a Solution

Makita seems to have seen the problem coming and decided a completely new solution makes the most sense for them. They aren’t the first to create a new tool and battery platform without backward-compatibility, joining the likes of DeWalt (stem Li-ion to slide packs), Milwaukee (V18/V28), and several others.

Makita also seems committed to the existing 18V and 18V X2 line of tools. Based on their press release, the company plans to continue both lines concurrently.”

@Miamicuse I can’t see them dropping the 18 volt single or double platform
    They just put out more powerful double 18 volt tools this summer

Just wouldn’t make sense
    I remember a long time ago when bosch had their 18 and 24 volt Ni-cad platforms
    They dropped the 24 and came out with the new lithium 18 and 36 voltage
    And way back Bosch definitely did not have nearly as many tools in either or actually both of them compared to what Makita have in the 18 volt lineup.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@miamicuse I can’t see them dropping the 18 volt single or double platform

Just wouldn’t make sense
    And way back Bosch definitely did not have nearly as many tools in either or actually both of them compared to what Makita have in the 18 volt lineup.

I didn’t say they will drop the 18v or 18x2v platforms. I think they will keep all of them in parallel. I was just making the observation that I doubt there would be any adapter, conversion or compatibility between those platforms and the 40v platform.

@miamicuse I can’t see them dropping the 18 volt single or double platform

Just wouldn’t make sense

I didn’t say they will drop the 18v or 18x2v platforms. I think they will keep all of them in parallel. I was just making the observation that I doubt there would be any adapter, conversion or compatibility between those platforms and the 40v platform.

I know , I never mentioned that you said that
    I was just saying I can’t see them dropping it that’s all 😉

With all the battery technology , Milwaukee and Makita coming out with bigger and better batteries , and new platforms
    Looks like they are going for the bigger job sites ,
    It will be interesting to see if any of the other manufacturers follow them

CB
    Pro

A long time ago, a BTP member linked to a Makita prototype LXT 18v/36v extended range battery backpack. At the time, it was all in grey, as if freshly formed from 3D printing plastic.

This battery backpack is now the color Teal as a fully fleshed out product complete with a part number and a back cover shot in Makita’s new 2020-2021 catalog, which a Makita factory rep slipped to me last week.

The USA part number is PDC01 Portable BackPack Power Supply for the LXT 18V and LXT(X2)36V tool system, which Makita now markets as being over 270 solutions strong in 2020, XGT be damned.

Makita claims 4 times the run time with the battery backpack. That is likely only for 18v single battery tools. I would expect only 2 times the run time for twin battery 36v tools.

Still, having the weight of the portable power supply on the back, rather than at the end of outstretched arms, is a significant ergonomic benefit.

redwood
    Pro

So how much larger, physically, are the new XGT batteries?

I’ve got a number of 56V EGO tools and their batteries are huge compared to a XL battery. They are just too big to ever be used in most tools like drills, reciprocating saws ect or ergonomics go out the window.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

New Makita 18V DML811 LED Cordless/Corded Worklight has Bright Features

https://toolguyd.com/makita-dml811-cordless-led-worklight/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Makita Cyclonic Cordless Vacuum

http://toolsinaction.com/makita-cyclonic-cordless-vacuum/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Charger technology is improving again

MAKITA 18V Lithium-Ion Dual Port Rapid Optimum Charger (DC18RD)

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Makita 18V 3-1/4″ Planer XPK02

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MAKITA 18V Cordless Grease Gun XPG01

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NEW – MAKITA AC/DC Work Area Lights

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NEW – Makita 18V LED Flashlight / Spotlight DML812

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NEW – Makita DML810 Upright LED Area Light

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 861 through 880 (of 892 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.313 seconds