dcsimg

#2 TEAL TIME,,Lastest MAKITA TOOLS

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 886 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Last time I had something similar happened was at a big box store – The Home Depot. Most of you know HD has this “SPECIAL BUY OF THE WEEK” and the deal is either a lowered price or an added bonus or whatever. The problem is these special buys ads will disappear once the period ends, which creates a big problem. Sometimes the special buy is a different SKU, so when you enter that into their web site, it comes up as “SKU not found” even for their own employees computer screens.

Last year I bought a Milwaukee combo kit, and for that week, it comes with a bonus battery charger starter kit. It’s not the same SKU as the standard combo kit, but a special buy SKU. I placed the order online that week, a week or so later (after the deal expired) I received an email to pick it up at the store. I went to the store for the pickup, gave them my order number. They retrieve the big box, but before I took possession, I need to sign on the keypad that the order is complete and undamaged. I mentioned to the clerk before I signed that I would like to make sure the entire order is in the big box before I sign, she insisted she cannot release it to me until I sign, so I did. Right before her I opened the box and the starter kit was missing. I said to her the order is incomplete. She said that’s all there is. I showed her on my phone a screenshot of the order I placed and the screenshot included the combo kit and the starter kit. She took my order and typed in the SKU to verify, and it says no such SKU. I explained it’s a special buy for that week, and we are now a week later. Basically, she has no means, as a HD employee, even with my screen shot, to verify what should have been included in that order.

She then called HD online, and was placed on hold listening to music. I needed to go, I can’t wait 15, 30 more minutes to sort this out, I suggested to her I do not pick up the partial order, and wait till the whole thing is resolved, she said no, she already released the order to me, I signed that it’s complete LOL. I left with the box.

Eventually I called online myself, and they said there is a starter kit with that order, and it’s been shipped directly from Milwaukee, and it showed it’s in the store.

Yet the store couldn’t find it, and couldn’t do anything.

The final outcome was HD online gave me a partial refund, the amount equal to the cost of a starter kit if I were to go buy it at the store. So the original cost of the combo was $399, and they issued to me a gift card of $109 so I can buy my own starter kit.

What a mess. While at the store I also spoke to the manager. I showed him how on Amazon.com, if they have a special sale, black Friday, Cyber Monday or whatever, once you placed an order, you can always go back and see your order, and there is a link in your order to show you the actual item the moment you placed it. So that if price changed, terms changed, warranty changed, whatever, you have what was advertised and what you purchased, not what they are selling today. Even eBay has that. Yet at HD, their own employees can’t see items that expired.

So next time you pick up stuff at HD, make sure it’s complete before you sign the release, no matter what the cashier/clerk said.

Doobie

That’s nuts Sami. Ridiculous.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

glad to hear you called and finally got the deal they originally offered.

Thanks Kurt. And thank you for the suggestion to call. I was just going to let it go otherwise.

As a final update, all the items, billed at the originally advertised stacked discount price, arrived via UPS today. TylerTool / CPO Tools did finally deliver on the terms of the original orders, despite inexplicably canceling those orders previously.

Printing and taking screen shots of the initial orders when originally placed was helpful on my end when talking with the three different people who passed the hot potato. I made the printouts to help remind me of what I had coming in the mail, and as receipts for account reconciliation.

But the contemporaneous records proved helpful in providing an ability to both cite with specificity and prove with evidence the exact price per item on the initial orders, and while it turned out that the vendor ultimately had that information in their computer all along, the initial layers of personnel I spoke with all claimed ignorance, but couldn’t deny the records I was able to produce.

Therefore, it is a good idea to always print or screenshot any online order at the time the order is placed, which motivate the people on the other lend of the line to go to bat and get authorization to execute the pricing overrides necessary to match the pricing previously represented.

Good to hear you got the stuff you ordered. It sure doesn’t hurt to call.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Makita Lawn Mower Takes Home 1st-Place for Battery-Powered Mowers

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/makita-cordless-lawn-mower-review-xml03pt1/47903/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dewalts_12v_brushless_line_lights_up_the_competition_plus_the_latest_news_and_reviews_for_pros&utm_term=2019-08-19

It’s definitely a nice looking lawnmower , the only thing that I would have liked to see is a 21 inch
    Great to be able to use the same batteries as the power tools though.

Doobie

Finally, after over a month on back order, received my first two Makita power shaft accesories. Hope to try them out later this week.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Finally, after over a month on back order, received my first two Makita power shaft accesories. Hope to try them out later this week.

Wow that was quite awhile. Nice to see they have arrived.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/makita-cordless-lawn-mower-review-xml03pt1/47903/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dewalts_12v_brushless_line_lights_up_the_competition_plus_the_latest_news_and_reviews_for_pros&utm_term=2019-08-19

Yes, it is a nice mower, and the range of tools on the same battery is one of the reasons I would expand to their battery platform.

That being said, it’s out of my price range. I bought a 19″ gas mower new last year for about $150 (CDN) on sale, and it does have a side discharge.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Last time I had something similar happened was at a big box store – The Home Depot. Most of you know HD has this “SPECIAL BUY OF THE WEEK” and the deal is either a lowered price or an added bonus or whatever. The problem is these special buys ads will disappear once the period ends, which creates a big problem. Sometimes the special buy is a different SKU, so when you enter that into their web site, it comes up as “SKU not found” even for their own employees computer screens.

Last year I bought a Milwaukee combo kit, and for that week, it comes with a bonus battery charger starter kit. It’s not the same SKU as the standard combo kit, but a special buy SKU. I placed the order online that week, a week or so later (after the deal expired) I received an email to pick it up at the store. I went to the store for the pickup, gave them my order number. They retrieve the big box, but before I took possession, I need to sign on the keypad that the order is complete and undamaged. I mentioned to the clerk before I signed that I would like to make sure the entire order is in the big box before I sign, she insisted she cannot release it to me until I sign, so I did. Right before her I opened the box and the starter kit was missing. I said to her the order is incomplete. She said that’s all there is. I showed her on my phone a screenshot of the order I placed and the screenshot included the combo kit and the starter kit. She took my order and typed in the SKU to verify, and it says no such SKU. I explained it’s a special buy for that week, and we are now a week later. Basically, she has no means, as a HD employee, even with my screen shot, to verify what should have been included in that order.

She then called HD online, and was placed on hold listening to music. I needed to go, I can’t wait 15, 30 more minutes to sort this out, I suggested to her I do not pick up the partial order, and wait till the whole thing is resolved, she said no, she already released the order to me, I signed that it’s complete LOL. I left with the box.

Eventually I called online myself, and they said there is a starter kit with that order, and it’s been shipped directly from Milwaukee, and it showed it’s in the store.

Yet the store couldn’t find it, and couldn’t do anything.

The final outcome was HD online gave me a partial refund, the amount equal to the cost of a starter kit if I were to go buy it at the store. So the original cost of the combo was $399, and they issued to me a gift card of $109 so I can buy my own starter kit.

What a mess. While at the store I also spoke to the manager. I showed him how on Amazon.com, if they have a special sale, black Friday, Cyber Monday or whatever, once you placed an order, you can always go back and see your order, and there is a link in your order to show you the actual item the moment you placed it. So that if price changed, terms changed, warranty changed, whatever, you have what was advertised and what you purchased, not what they are selling today. Even eBay has that. Yet at HD, their own employees can’t see items that expired.

So next time you pick up stuff at HD, make sure it’s complete before you sign the release, no matter what the cashier/clerk said.

Wow – I have had similar disagreements with clerks before but none that ended up with them telling me too bad you signed … glad the company came through with the gift card.

Will

Congratulations Kevin , to bad Makita doesn’t have a kinda btp site ,
    You definitely bought some nice additions to the power head.

CB
    Pro

It’s definitely a nice looking lawnmower , the only thing that I would have liked to see is a 21 inch

To go from an 18″ blade to a 21″ blade is only about a 16% increase in length, that yet requires about 85% more power to turn at the same rpm. (21/18 = 1.1666667 to the 4th power = 1.85 times the power required to turn the blade). And that is just in still air.

Now to calculate the resistance presented by that much more grass that is in the cutting swath of the longer blade is a basic πr^2 comparison. Since the radius is squared, there again is another exponential increase in resistance presented by the larger area of grass for an incremental increase in blade diameter.

When stopping for a moment to consider the fact that Makita WON the lawnmower comparison battle linked above against 24 different lawnmore models tested, some with 25″ decks, nevermind 21″, some running 80 volts, nevermind 40 volts, some sporting two blades… and Makita’s little 18″, 18Vx2 mower eclipsed them all… that says something very interesting about Makita.

What it says to me is that Makita’s tool design locus isn’t about marketing one upmanship to sell tools. It isn’t about claiming the highest voltage or the biggest deck. Size doesn’t matter… it’s how you use it… or how the tool is actually used.

True useability is not resolved by a single, or a simple metric. Rather than focusing on matching simpler to market claims, Makita focuses on actual in use performance. I’ve noticed this with several different tools.

One must admit… it took a lot of courage to stick with 18 volt batteries while other tool makers, especially in the emerging OPE market, claim 40v, 56v, and 80v battery packs. A new consumer, considering battery powered OPE for the first time, is naturally going to assume that more voltage means better performance… or a larger cutting swath means less time.

But it isn’t less time if it takes an additional battery swap, versus walking across the lawn one more time. The difference between 9 passes versus 10 passes is less cumbersome than having to stop and change batteries.

I prefer engineering that focuses on actual use, not on single metric claims that sucker people in to buy the product. When you think about it, the latter is all that is really necessary to meet quarterly sales quotas. But the former is needed to become a tool brand of choice for the long haul.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc
    CB
    Pro

Track and Circular Saws Collide with the New Makita Circular Saw

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/cordless/saws-cordless/makita-xsh08-18v-x2-brushless-circular-saw/45460/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=track_ready_circular_saw_combines_best_of_both_worlds_plus_the_latest_news_and_reviews_for_pros&utm_term=2019-08-05

Smart idea having it use the existing Makita rails.
    I like the cast base on a circular saw compared to the stamped steel

the Makita rrear handle circular saw I just got does not have the rail connection. I wonder if a replacement shoe will be available to allow it to work with the rails.

Would you use the rear handle with a rail if it did?

To go from an 18″ blade to a 21″ blade is only about a 16% increase in length, that yet requires about 85% more power to turn at the same rpm. (21/18 = 1.1666667 to the 4th power = 1.85 times the power required to turn the blade). And that is just in still air.

Now to calculate the resistance presented by that much more grass that is in the cutting swath of the longer blade is a basic πr^2 comparison. Since the radius is squared, there again is another exponential increase in resistance presented by the larger area of grass for an incremental increase in blade diameter.

When stopping for a moment to consider the fact that Makita WON the lawnmower comparison battle linked above against 24 different lawnmore models tested, some with 25″ decks, nevermind 21″, some running 80 volts, nevermind 40 volts, some sporting two blades… and Makita’s little 18″, 18Vx2 mower eclipsed them all… that says something very interesting about Makita.

What it says to me is that Makita’s tool design locus isn’t about marketing one upmanship to sell tools. It isn’t about claiming the highest voltage or the biggest deck. Size doesn’t matter… it’s how you use it… or how the tool is actually used.

True useability is not resolved by a single, or a simple metric. Rather than focusing on matching simpler to market claims, Makita focuses on actual in use performance. I’ve noticed this with several different tools.

One must admit… it took a lot of courage to stick with 18 volt batteries while other tool makers, especially in the emerging OPE market, claim 40v, 56v, and 80v battery packs. A new consumer, considering battery powered OPE for the first time, is naturally going to assume that more voltage means better performance… or a larger cutting swath means less time.

But it isn’t less time if it takes an additional battery swap, versus walking across the lawn one more time. The difference between 9 passes versus 10 passes is less cumbersome than having to stop and change batteries.

I prefer engineering that focuses on actual use, not on single metric claims that sucker people in to buy the product. When you think about it, the latter is all that is really necessary to meet quarterly sales quotas. But the former is needed to become a tool brand of choice for the long haul.

That’s one of the reasons I opted for Ego , even though they aren’t making power tools that I can swap out batteries ,
    I can easily cut my lawn twice on a single charge it’s actually 2 and three quarters , but when I purchase the string trimmer and hedger with extra batteries , I will probably be able to go for a month without charging my batteries ,
    Even though it’s not a Makita or Bosch , I’m extremely happy with the purchase ,
    The Best part is that the noise level is huge difference from gas

Doobie

That’s what I do miss from a battery model, they are relatively noiseless.

Not sure if this will work I’m trying to attach a video

Guess it didn’t work

Doobie

Guess it didn’t work

What kind of video?

CB
    Pro

That’s one of the reasons I opted for Ego

There isn’t enough room for another Ego in my household.

That’s one of the reasons I opted for Ego

There isn’t enough room for another Ego in my household.

Hahahaha that’s funny 😂

Guess it didn’t work

What kind of video?

Ah just a little clip of me cutting my lawyer with the Ego mower , nothing you can’t see on YouTube.

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 886 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.479 seconds