dcsimg

#2 TEAL TIME,,Lastest MAKITA TOOLS

This topic contains 447 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  CB 1 day, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 448 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I seem to post up a lot of new Makita tools all over this site so I’ll land them all here from now on…..

We shall carry on with the teal Talk Here now..
    here’s the old thread
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/teal-timelastest-makita-tools/page/51/

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

We shall carry on with the teal Talk Here now..

Thank you sir!

And here is my previous post from the old one lamenting about missing out on a Makita track saw deal….

I’ve got some bad news in regards to this Midnight Madness sale that TEGS is having this coming Friday. It occurred to me that since I couldn’t find that Track Saw package set up they have in the sale flyer on their website at all, I would call them and ask how I would go about ordering it come Friday. I was told that the sale is an in-store event only.

nowhere on that flyer does it say it is not available for over the phone or online ordering and that you have to be in store to get these deals.

I called TEGS today again to see if they would honor a telephone order. No luck.

I have unsubscribed from their email mailouts and will no longer buy from them. Tired of dealing with places that do things half-arse.

I’m thinking of maybe trying to get another online retailer to price match on it come tomorrow. I’ve been really looking at that track saw since this summer and waiting for a deal on it like this one and kinda had my heart set on getting this deal. There’s rarely deals on this track saw up here in Canada.

I had no luck in this regard looking around different retailers for a price match. Most at least require that the item, in this case a special promo package, be posted on the competitors website which in this case it is not.

Again, thanks for wasting my time TEGS tools!!!

Aaargh!!!

Doobie
    Pro

I also had the foresight to save @cb ‘s last post in that thread since he had a real long one and once they are closed they can no longer be quoted, although he could simply do a cut & paste, I thought I’d do it for him.

With 50 pages and 1,000 posts… maybe this thread is approaching time for closure. Which is too bad, because now that I’ve ordered a new Teal tool, I have so many questions to ask about Makita’s dizzying array of offerings… enough questions to fill another 50 pages of a thousand posts.

So what if I decided to go ahead and get a new imnpact driver, as I can forsee a time when my current one will beat it’s last staccato breath.

Makita’s website does not arrange their impact drivers in such a way to make it easy to compare the specifications of each similar tool side by side. And I mean the tools themselves, not the kits they come in.

Stripping away the case (or bag), charger and battery amp hour size included, and considering only the bare tool alone (the “Z” suffix is omitted from the part numbers below), Makita appears to currently offer the following LXT 18V 1/4″ impact drivers:

XDT11 Has brushes, 1 variable speed, less than 1,500 in lbs, XPT, STAR, 5 3/8 body length

XDT12 BL Brushless, 4 variable speed ranges, more than 1,500 in lbs, Quick Shift Mode, Assist Mode, Tightening Mode, XPT, STAR, 4 5/8″ body length

XDT13 BL Brushless, 1 variable speed range, less than 1,500 in lbs, XPT, STAR, 5″ body length

XDT14 BL Brushless, 3 variable speed range, more than 1,500 in lbs, Quick Shift Mode, Tightening Mode, XPT, STAR, 4 5/8″ body length

XDT15 (The so called “Sub Compact” line, all black, that at 5 5/16″ body length, is actually larger than several of the “full size” models of impact wrenches that have more features and higher torque. I don’t get why Makita continues to call the black XDT15 model a “Sub Compact”, and for this reason am not even bothering to consider the other specs for this model)

XPT01 (Pending research)

XPT02 (Hybrid 4 function hammer drill impact driver)

XST01 BL Brushless, Oil Impulse (quieter impacts), 3 variable speed ranges, less than 355 in lbs, Quick Shift, XPT, STAR, 5 3/8″ body length.

I’m having a devil of a time sorting through how all these impacts differ from each other. Certainly the model comparison undertaken thus far proves that there is no hierarchy inherent in model number. In other words, a numerically higher model number does not at all indicate a better tool, nor a more advanced tool, nor a more recently released tool, nor a higher power tool.

As indicated above, it appears that the XDT12 has the most features, the most power, and the smallest form factor, than any of the other 1/4″ impact drivers listed for the LXT 18V family.

Would you agree?

Did I miss a model?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

XDT12 BL Brushless, 4 variable speed ranges, more than 1,500 in lbs, Quick Shift Mode, Assist Mode, Tightening Mode

XDT14 BL Brushless, 3 variable speed range, more than 1,500 in lbs, Quick Shift Mode, Tightening Mode,

XST01 BL Brushless, Oil Impulse (quieter impacts), 3 variable speed ranges, less than 355 in lbs,

I have these 3 impacts, I like them all. TheThe XDT 14 is the same specs as the 12 but with out the auto assist mode. The Soft impact is great when my head is inside a cabinet of when working needs to be quieter. Altho it doesn’t have the power specs that the others do it can sink a 2½” to 3″ screw with no problem.

Dirty

CB
    Pro

XDT12 BL Brushless, 4 variable speed ranges, more than 1,500 in lbs, Quick Shift Mode, Assist Mode, Tightening Mode

XDT14 BL Brushless, 3 variable speed range, more than 1,500 in lbs, Quick Shift Mode, Tightening Mode,

XST01 BL Brushless, Oil Impulse (quieter impacts), 3 variable speed ranges, less than 355 in lbs,

I have these 3 impacts, I like them all. TheThe XDT 14 is the same specs as the 12 but with out the auto assist mode. The Soft impact is great when my head is inside a cabinet of when working needs to be quieter. Altho it doesn’t have the power specs that the others do it can sink a 2½” to 3″ screw with no problem.

This is excellent and informative feedback. Thanks Dirty!

Buried six feet under the street the day before yesterday, the trenchless guys were tying a freshly pulled lateral into the sewer main on a residential property where I’m rebuilding a wall. One of the trenchless guys had cut himself while grinding the bell mouth off the clay Y stub.

So I go stand above the deep hole in the middle of the street to help direct traffic around the open pit while the next guy drops down to finish the cut, and I notice some type of impact driver buried in the muddy sewage to the point where it was not possible to recognize the brand of the tool.

It was their tool, they brought it down into the pit with them. They just don’t have time to care where they set it down. They used it to tighten the breeze clamps around the collars that seal the lateral to the stub out (once the bell mouth is cut off).

They finished the tie and finally tossed their tools up and out of the pit. Turned out, that completely brown, caked with mud to the point of unrecognizability, but beastly working impact driver was a Makita. I think that was part of the reason for me thinking about a new impact driver, now that I’m adopting my 4th concurrent battery platform.

When noise is an issue, I often switch to using regular drills to drive in screws. Not that I can afford to replace all my current tools… but it is interesting all the same to hear how the oil impulse impact really does work to quiet the noise down.

For now, however, I think I’ll start out with the XD12.

For later, I’m going to begin making a list of all the teal 18V tools that I wouldn’t mind Santa shoveling down the chimney, using this thread as that Dear Santa letter. Not because I believe in Santa, but rather because I value the feedback of others like you who may have already used the tools I’m considering, like these impacts, for example.

CB
    Pro

Has anyone used the XLT01 close quarters right angle impact?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No, I have a 12volt Ridgid JobMax that that task and many others.

Dirty

CB
    Pro

Ah, you mean this…

I recall you talking about this system last year, when we were discussing Bosch’s new 12v transformer system.

Of interest to anyone following, the Ridgid right angle impact driver claims to have 650 in lbs of torque, in a smaller bodied tool, using 33% less voltage, than the Makita 18v dedicated right angle impact, at only 530 inch lbs.

With the Ridgid Job Max 12v, one could obtain 4 or 5 tools for the same price as one Makita XLT01.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Ah, you mean this…

I recall you talking about this system last year, when we were discussing Bosch’s new 12v transformer system.

Of interest to anyone following, the Ridgid right angle impact driver claims to have 650 in lbs of torque, in a smaller bodied tool, using 33% less voltage, than the Makita 18v dedicated right angle impact, at only 530 inch lbs.

With the Ridgid Job Max 12v, one could obtain 4 or 5 tools for the same price as one Makita XLT01.

I hate to say it ,,, but yes. It’s a very good tool. I use it mostly in tight spaces in cabinets.
    I got on to it by a online HD sale 129$ for the 12volt JobMax and drill-driver 2 batteries and charger. I would love to have any other brand for my 12volt tools but this one works so well I can’t get rid of it.

Attachments:

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro

Nope. I have the 18V Bosch and each the 12V Bosch driver and drill units.

But I do see that Makita offers some much bigger cordless RA drills, but it’s just not a tool that I would need a cordless heavy duty drill too often and I already have a big corded unit too when needed.

CB
    Pro

Back to Teal Time…

I’ve been frustrated with the MakitaUSA website, which “railroads” readers into seeing a display of kits and basic tools all together, making it difficult to distinguish and compare the mechanical attributes and features of the actual tool.

I don’t care how many batteries, what size batteries, what type of case or bag, or how many other tools come in a kit, when I’m simply trying to compare the basic tool among a sea of similar basic tools that have subtle differences.

Today I found a much more user friendly Makita website in Australia. There, one can check a comparison box to isolate the basic tools themselves for side by side comparative evaluation of the specifications and features, without the distraction of kits, batteries, chargers, other tools, and the random and non controllable distribution of how the tools are ordered across multiple pages of search results on MakitaUSA.

Attached is an example of comparing two similar spec but slightly different 18V close quarters right angle drills. The screen capture cut off the remaining list of specifications, but this is the type of presentation I vastly prefer over what MakitaUSA presents.

It remains a matter of translating the Eastern Hemisphere part numbers to the Western Hemisphere part number equivalents, similar to the drywall cut out saw that inaugurated me into this system.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have that right angle drill in the pic above, the one on the left with the metal chuck. It’s a very powerful with low gearing.

Dirty

CB
    Pro

Attached is another wonderful example of the comparison tool on Makita’s Australia PTY website, that I sure wished I had known about last night while laboriously piecing together clues across multiple windows of the MakitaUSA website, which is glamorous with the marketing glitz and glory, but short on sharing useful facts about their tools in an easily assimilated manner.

The Makita Australia webpage makes it SO much easier to learn about Makita tools.

CB
    Pro

I have that right angle drill in the pic above, the one on the left with the metal chuck. It’s a very powerful with low gearing.

I have the plug in the wall corded version of the one on the left with the keyed metal chuck. I’ve had it about 10 or 12 or 15 years now. It was my first purchase ever on Amazon. It was perhaps the only power tool that I ever bought immediately on first sight of the photo. I had to overcome my fear of Big Brother to get it (signing up with Amazon), but it wasn’t available anywhere else, as it had just come out.

Just one look at that nested chuck brought a floodwave of bitter memories struggling with installation problems where I wished such a tool existed. I didn’t question the price, I didn’t shop, I just whipped that credit card out of my wallet so fast that the raised plastic numbers fell off on the floor and I had to reassemble them in correct order so I could complete the transaction.

Not only that, but I bought another one for my good friend who I’ve worked with, knowing that he too would immediately appreciate a chuck that has no geared head behind it to drive it, but instead is driven by the body of the chuck itself. I think the corded version of the these drills were about $200 each when I bought them, which is a lot of coin for a 3/8″ drill.

It was also the first drill… actually the first tool period, that had an LED light incorporated into the tool (that I had ever seen or heard of… keep in mind, this is more than a decade ago).

I must say though, that I have not been that impressed with the TORQUE of the corded version of this tool. I have to play around a lot with the speed control to balance not camming out the fastener head, while still having enough oomph to drive it home. So I only use it when I need that close quarters clearance.

And I’ve finally used up most of my back stock of phillips drive screws (save for the Simpson Strong tie wafer head #8s), and for the last couple of years will only purchase T25 star drive screws for any application where a bugle head is acceptable.

CB
    Pro

Well, thanks to reading Makita’s press releases, and following up with a search on Tool Guyd, you can pretty much toss out everything I researched about Makita Impact drivers that I posted in the previous thread that Doobie copied over into this thread.

That’s all out the window now. There well be no more XDT12 in my future (equivalent to the Makita TD170, reported by many to be the finest impact driver ever Made In Japan). After all, why own Makita’s best, when Makita has announced something better?

The new XDT16:

It is everything that the XDT12 was, only more.

Two more modes, several more ways to combine a reduction of rotational speed with an increase in impact speed for maximum torque application to drive through resistance in material without over revving the bit to head connection.

Two LED lights, for shadow cancellation.

Too much more technology for me to understand, but apparently the tool is already available in Japan, sold as the TD171, to rave reviews for the improvements.

This is why I avoided Makita for many years. And why I hate shopping.

The XDT16 will be available in the USA this winter. Not sure about Canada.

Doobie
    Pro

The new XDT16:

Do you know if will also be made in Japan?

There’s over 40 new Makita tools coming.

https://www.makitatools.com/company/press-releases/2018/makita-features-40-new-releases-at-stafda-2018

CB
    Pro

Now I get the meaning of the lead in photo to the Makita “What’s Next” webpage. Dual LEDs, one on either side of the bit.

And dual rows of ball bearings around the shaft too.

Winter. Being rained out and reined in makes one go stir crazy.

We likely need a red thread too. 2,000 inch lbs in a 4.59″ body length? (Milwaukee 2853, and 2857 with OneKey) 2,000 inch lbs = 166 foot lbs = enough to break my hand.

I actually did break my hand a few years ago drilling soffit vent holes of all things. The hole saw caught and wrangled my hand. The doctor thought for sure I had punched a wall. Didn’t believe it was due to drilling. The drill was DeWalt. All yellow’s fault. Of course I’m just kidding.

(It was actually Stanley Bostich’s fault. They own DeWalt, right? LOL)

CB
    Pro

Holy smokes look at how cute this little guy is… and quick too!

(10 second video of Makita TD171D aka XDT16 running a 6″ through three planks of 100 year oak, side by side against a DeWalt)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhJP92GyheY

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

The new XDT16:

Do you know if will also be made in Japan?

There’s over 40 new Makita tools coming.

https://www.makitatools.com/company/press-releases/2018/makita-features-40-new-releases-at-stafda-2018

😮👍😮 Pretty impressive , I was reading some of the things that little vacuum ,60 minutes of runtime 👍 plus the other tools. Makita is really adding to the already great lineup

Doobie
    Pro

We likely need a red thread too.

There’s already a Milwaukee ‘What’s New’ thread @cb, so no need to start a new one.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/2018-new-milwaukee-tools/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 448 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 3.735 seconds