dcsimg

2.0 ah or 4.0 ah batteries for 18v drill and impact?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I don’t know that the larger batteries make a useful difference in power, but it would appear that they give the impact more guts.

More amps are a measure of flow rate. Increasing the amps is like increasing the diameter of a pipe for more flow rate.

This is straight from Jim, who got it from the tech guys at Bosch. Paraphrased:

There is a power increase from the 2.0 to the 4.0ah battery. It’s not due to the amp hour increase, but to a reduction in Resistance.

This has come up about a hundred times here and it’s time the record is set straight. A larger battery DOES NOT mean more power…it means more run time. It just so happens that the change from a 2.0 to a 4.0 battery in the case of Bosch batteries also means a reduction in resistance. This is not necessarily the case on other platforms, but it just might be.

Again, any increase in power you experience is due to something other than the size of the battery…a bigger gas tank does not mean a faster car.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well I have just cleaned out my van and find out I have 6- 4.0ah 18volt batteries. and 2 3.0ah 18volt batteries. I just sold 2 3.0ah batteries with a pile of tools.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I really am looking forward to trying the 6.0Ah battery. Is that offered in wireless charging also? Being the same weight as the 4.0, I would like to skip getting any more 4.0’s. Congrats on your new Bosch goodies.

@utopia78
    nope, 18V wireless batteries are only available in sizes 2.0ah and 4.0ah.
    18V battery weight scale:
    wireless 2.0 = 500g
    wireless 4.0 = 800g
    reg 1.5 = 340g
    reg 2.0 = 350g
    reg 3.0 = 600g
    reg 4.0 = 600g
    reg 5.0 = 620g
    reg 6.0 = 620g

the wireless 4.0 is a heavy beast

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Are the wired batteries any lighter?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

wireless 2.0 = 500g
    wireless 4.0 = 800g
    reg 1.5 = 340g
    reg 2.0 = 350g
    reg 3.0 = 600g
    reg 4.0 = 600g
    reg 5.0 = 620g
    reg 6.0 = 620g

Wow the wireless batteries are noticeably heavier.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

That’s why at this point I won’t get any wireless. Plus not having a use for that feature

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s why at this point I won’t get any wireless. Plus not having a use for that feature

Yes with the batteries being a lot heavier I really don’t see the advantage, at least not for me.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I really am looking forward to trying the 6.0Ah battery. Is that offered in wireless charging also? Being the same weight as the 4.0, I would like to skip getting any more 4.0’s. Congrats on your new Bosch goodies.

@utopia78
    wireless 2.0 = 500g
    wireless 4.0 = 800g
    reg 1.5 = 340g
    reg 2.0 = 350g
    reg 3.0 = 600g
    reg 4.0 = 600g
    reg 5.0 = 620g
    reg 6.0 = 620g

That’s a considerable difference in weight. I wouldn’t have guessed it would have been that much.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

@utopia78
    wireless 2.0 = 500g
    wireless 4.0 = 800g
    reg 1.5 = 340g
    reg 2.0 = 350g
    reg 3.0 = 600g
    reg 4.0 = 600g
    reg 5.0 = 620g
    reg 6.0 = 620g

That’s a considerable difference in weight. I wouldn’t have guessed it would have been that much.

Awesome posting the battery weight info. I don’t recall ever seeing it posted before. So I was wrong when I said the 18v 4.0 and 6.0 weighed the same in the non-wireless model. I’ll remember there is a 20g difference.

A Working Pro since 2004

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

20g is pretty negligible for me I couldn’t tell a difference

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Yes with the batteries being a lot heavier I really don’t see the advantage, at least not for me.

weight is a factor too but I won’t pay all that money for a technology which I really don’t need. others might find a use for that, but not everyone.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wireless ones came in 4 6.0 ah is gonna be in monday I still have 16 regular battery @madman_us I payed for 2 4.0ah battery for 69$ 2. 2.0 ah for 50$ also charger that came with 1 2.0 ah 46$ .1 charger that came with 4.0 ah was 62$ then sgh182 came with charger and 4.0ah was 165$ soo didn’t pay to much

I think it is good to have a mix of small and large batteries for different weights and run times. I have been using a wire wheel on my drill tackling some peeling paint on a fence and it is nice having longer run times with the larger batteries. But when working overhead or in cramped spaces, the smaller batteries are nice to have too.

Orange County, CA

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I think it is good to have a mix of small and large batteries for different weights and run times. I have been using a wire wheel on my drill tackling some peeling paint on a fence and it is nice having longer run times with the larger batteries. But when working overhead or in cramped spaces, the smaller batteries are nice to have too.

My 18v I have all 4ah and if I buy any more they will be 6ah. for the things I am concenred about weight I will use my 12v but I guess it wouldnt be a bad idea to have one or two compact 18v

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I don’t know that the larger batteries make a useful difference in power, but it would appear that they give the impact more guts.

More amps are a measure of flow rate. Increasing the amps is like increasing the diameter of a pipe for more flow rate.

This is straight from Jim, who got it from the tech guys at Bosch. Paraphrased:

There is a power increase from the 2.0 to the 4.0ah battery. It’s not due to the amp hour increase, but to a reduction in Resistance.

This has come up about a hundred times here and it’s time the record is set straight. A larger battery DOES NOT mean more power…it means more run time. It just so happens that the change from a 2.0 to a 4.0 battery in the case of Bosch batteries also means a reduction in resistance. This is not necessarily the case on other platforms, but it just might be.

Again, any increase in power you experience is due to something other than the size of the battery…a bigger gas tank does not mean a faster car.

I can understand why Bosch wouldn’t want to say it for other brands, but that is universally the case. When you are running essentially two slim packs side by side, they can pump out more current and suffer less voltage drop under heavy load. This is of course assuming the tool is able to pull that much current under load.

My 18v I have all 4ah and if I buy any more they will be 6ah. for the things I am concenred about weight I will use my 12v but I guess it wouldnt be a bad idea to have one or two compact 18v

My plan too, I think I’ll get rid of the two 18v slim packs I have, and stick with 4.0 for 18v, and 2.0 for 12v.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My final shipping came with 4 6.0 ah now everything is done for batteries for couple of years I need more cordless tool now lol even though I have them all waiting for a new ones maybe hth181 this week and sgh182 is amazing drywallgun

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

My final shipping came with 4 6.0 ah now everything is done for batteries for couple of years I need more cordless tool now lol even though I have them all waiting for a new ones maybe hth181 this week and sgh182 is amazing drywallgun

grats that is quite a battery collection there.
    you are definitely covered 😀
    I gonna get my hand on a 18V 6.0 soon but first off I wanna try to jump into the 12V line. First box/step into the 12V line is coming wednesday.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Dear Lord. You are my hero ha. So those eBay 6ah batteries appear to be just fine

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Austin @madman_us yeah I deal with ebay all the time no problem whatsoever money doesn’t leave my account until I tell them it’s okey so now worries. Yeah I I got them really cheap I also have 12v jacket that came with radio ps10 ps11 ps41 ps21 good for cabinets even though 12v impactor and 18v impactor has a same housing

KenW
    Pro

Though I’ve never purchased tools from ebay, I have bought several things over the years and never had one bad dealing. Though I’m careful to research the seller and have learned to really pay attention to the listing.

I’m glad to read that buying Bosch batteries and tools are good options too. I need to pick up a second charger and battery.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.601 seconds