dcsimg

2.0 ah or 4.0 ah batteries for 18v drill and impact?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

Hi guys, I’ve got the Bosch HDH181x hammer drill and 25618 impact. They came with a pair of 4.0 ah batteries which I robbed to use with the CCS180 circular saw that I got free with that kit, and have been using them with a pair of 2.0 ah batteries that I got with a L-Boxx 2 starter kit.

I’m looking to add another pair of batteries for drill/impact so I have backups for everything, and the L-Boxx 3 starter kit has caught my eye, but it comes with one 2.0 ah battery and one 4.0 ah.

I haven’t actually used these non-stop for long enough to get a good feel for how long the 2.0 ah batteries last, I’ve found my 12v tools do the majority of what I need, but I do build decks, etc. The batteries in my previous drill and impact would only last 30-45 minutes of non-stop use, like screwing down deck boards, and I was constantly changing them out, sometimes at very inconvenient times.

Are the Bosch 2.0 batteries good enough for a full day of intermittent use, and 2-3 hours of steady use? If so, I would probably be ok with 3 of the 2.0 batteries and one 4.0 for stuff like screwing down decking or drilling a bunch of big holes with an auger bit. If I’m going to find them limiting, I’ll just buy another pair of the 4.0 ah batteries and the L-Boxx separately, but it’s more expensive and doesn’t come with an extra charger.

Thanks for any feedback.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I never heard your impactor or use one but I never really give attention hoe much it lasts but on my idh181 inpactor with 1.5 ah battery it was lasting good 2 hours if I used it on the idh182 then I’m sure since it’s ec brushless motor will last more I have calculating battery life’s so I got bunch even 6ah that came free with 2 baretool purchase

Anonymous
    Inactive

I never heard your impactor or use one but I never really give attention how much it lasts but on my idh181 inpactor with 1.5 ah battery it was lasting good hour. if I used it on the idh182 will last more since it’s ec brushless motor. I never calculate battery life’s so I got bunch even 6ah that came free with 2 baretool purchase

Keep the 4.0ah fatpack on your impact for more power if you need it. I find that on the IDH182 it produces significantly less power at the max setting with the 2.0s. It’ll be enough to drive screws in it’ll hesitate with lags near the end.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Go for one of the 6 ah batteries you’ll be able to run it all day

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Bingo!

Given that the 6.0sh battery is new, you are likely to find deals on the 2.0and 4.0 batteries if you are patient. I believe 2 of the 4ah batteries cost about what a 6ah battery does at Lowes.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I go all day on the 4.0ah a lot of the times.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I throw the 4.0 on my Bosch Brushless impact for driving Tapcons and it’s perfect for the day. I can’t really say how many I’m driving as it varies. The other guys using the non brushless Dewalt impacts on site are constantly charging their 1.5Ah batteries. They are more worried about getting the other battery on the charger so they don’t get stuck without power. I don’t really have to worry about that.

A Working Pro since 2004

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’m thinking of picking up a 6.0 Ah battery just to have in case I need it. Can always use a bit more power. I’ll wait for a sale though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I would say pick up the L box 3 starter kit with the two sized batteries, this way you get another charger incase you need it, plus you get another 4 ah for long-standing runtime.

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

Thanks for the input so far, it sounds like it may be best to buy a pair of the 4.0 ah batteries separately. I’ve seen them for just over $50 each which isn’t bad.

I’ve also seen the 6.0 ah, but it’s around $120-$130, I’m not sure it’s worth it for my needs. It might come in handy for the circular saw from time to time, but I think as long as the spare 4.0 ah’s charge faster than I can deplete the one I’m using, I’m good to go.

I also rarely work on big commercial jobs where I’m far from my spare batteries and chargers.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I never heard your impactor or use one but I never really give attention how much it lasts but on my idh181 inpactor with 1.5 ah battery it was lasting good hour. if I used it on the idh182 will last more since it’s ec brushless motor. I never calculate battery life’s so I got bunch even 6ah that came free with 2 baretool purchase

Wow that is a lot of batteries , I didn’t know they had 6.0 ah batteries .Ill have to take a look the next time I’m in town .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

it sounds like it may be best to buy a pair of the 4.0 ah batteries separately. I’ve seen them for just over $50 each which isn’t bad.

The $50 price for a 4 Ah is not bad. Is that a genuine Bosch battery?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’d definitely suggest getting a second charger(the rapid charger). With the regular charger I think the 4.0 batteries take around an hour to charge up.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think the 4.0 batteries take around an hour to charge up.

On the fast charger I can charge a 4.0 Ah battery in about 30 min.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

The $50 4.0 ah batteries are genuine Bosch, I found them on eBay. They aren’t in the packaging, it looks like they are from guys selling off the rest of the kits they don’t need.

I just ordered a pair of 4.0 ah batteries with the 30 min charger for $118, not bad. I’ve already got another 30 minute charger and one 60 minute so I should be covered now.

Still need to get the L-Boxx 3 and insert for the saw though.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I throw the 4.0 on my Bosch Brushless impact for driving Tapcons and it’s perfect for the day. I can’t really say how many I’m driving as it varies. The other guys using the non brushless Dewalt impacts on site are constantly charging their 1.5Ah batteries. They are more worried about getting the other battery on the charger so they don’t get stuck without power. I don’t really have to worry about that.

I guess some guys that cry about the weight might like the smaller lighter batteries??? IDK

Dirty

I bought the impactor kit in 2014 and it came with 2 amp hour batteries. I love the size and weight especially when working in attics and crawl spaces. Last year I bought a kit with the 4 amp hour batteries. I still use the 2 on the impactor for most situations. I use the 4 on the heavy drill and reciprocating saw. I also got a free 5 amp battery and it stays on the circular saw.

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I bought the impactor kit in 2014 and it came with 2 amp hour batteries. I love the size and weight especially when working in attics and crawl spaces. Last year I bought a kit with the 4 amp hour batteries. I still use the 2 on the impactor for most situations. I use the 4 on the heavy drill and reciprocating saw. I also got a free 5 amp battery and it stays on the circular saw.

I use the batteries in the same way. The heavy puller get the biggest ones.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use the batteries in the same way. The heavy puller get the biggest ones.

Same here I have a good supply of both 2Ah and 4Ah batteries and choose the battery for the job. Heavy jobs get the 4Ah battery.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.551 seconds