dcsimg

18v Bandsaw & 18v Grinder

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

There is a free gift(4.0Ahr battery & charger) with purchase of select Bosch bare tools through the 28th of this month at Lowes(unsure of elsewhere).

I’ve been planning on picking up the angle grinder(GWS18V-45) for a while, and I’m highly considering the bandsaw(BSH180B) as well.

Usage will be mixed weekend warrior type stuff. Grinder will be mostly automotive in the near term, as I’m putting together what I need to do a major rust elimination(i.e. rocker replacement, and wire repainting the entire underside.) Might also be used to cut thicker metal occasionally for blacksmithing and metal fab. Possible brought to work when I have a big repair that’s planned ahead, but that’s maybe once or twice a year(millwright type work, I’m an equipment operator in a recycling plant, and we tend to do most of our own mechanical repairs, and have the company mechanics handle the electrical/hydraulic issues). I’ve got a corded Hitachi 4.5″ that’s taken a beating for years. Hoping to lighten it’s load with both items.

Bandsaw main use will be cutting small solid bars(max 1/2″ Sq) for forging into hooks, ans cutting sheet metal(same thickness as an electric box is made of, I’ve got a pile of 4u rack covers from a data center project 8 years ago I’m still cutting up) for making brackets and sheet metal type things.

Thoughts on both tools?

I don’t think either is brushless, but given my usage, I can afford a lesser battery life. I’ve already got (2) 4.0Ah, (4) 1.5Ah batteries, and only 2 drills(1 let the smoke out couple years back but somehow still works and it’s replacement), a IDH-182 impact, and a Powerbox 360S. I don’t really use the radio much, since I’ve got a Bluetooth speaker in the shop.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

I would say you will find more uses for the grinder than the bandsaw. You can use it to cut that bar stock you mention using the bandsaw on. The only time in my work around the shop where the bandsaw would have been nice was to cut some PVC pipe nice and clean. That’s my 2 cents worth on the subject.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I picked up the Bandsaw on clearance a few weeks ago and will finally get a chance to use it today. I will let you know. It is nonstock on the prize list. Lowes had it for $89 on clearance.

I do have the Grinder and we use it a lot.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I would say you will find more uses for the grinder than the bandsaw. You can use it to cut that bar stock you mention using the bandsaw on. The only time in my work around the shop where the bandsaw would have been nice was to cut some PVC pipe nice and clean. That’s my 2 cents worth on the subject.

Bandsaw would be a less noisy option for the cutting and less risk of starting a fire. Those are the main advantages I see over just using the grinder.

Bandsaw would be a less noisy option for the cutting and less risk of starting a fire. Those are the main advantages I see over just using the grinder.

I took the question as if one would get one versus the other. You make valid points about noise and sparks. Your call.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I see the same thing. Both work fine. I have both and like them. Bandsaw makes less noise.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Well, I changed my mind on the bandsaw and ordered the recip saw instead.

I went to place the order and the price of the bandsaw had jumped about $20, or so I recall. I could justify spending $130 to get a free $130 battery kit, but not $150, given my limited usage. I’d planned on buying at the local Lowes, but they can’t seem to have the free gift in stock.

There supposed to arrive early next week, so I likely on’t get to us them until next weekend. I’ll probably be buying another Craftsman Versa-stack box to hold them, as that’s the system I’ve standardized on in the past year or so. The price is the main factor, and they’re sturdy enough for my uses.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I got to use my new bandsaw the other day. Overall I would give it a “B”.

Out of the box you have to install the auxiliary handle and the blade. I put the handle on first then flipped the saw over to install the blade. Unlike the other portable bans saws I have, this one requires a Philips screwdriver to remove two guards to install the blade. As I flipped the lever to remove the tension from the blade to get one on, it hit the auxiliary handle, requiring it to be removed to change the blade. Once all this was done, I reinstalled the handle and guards . the bandsaw was now ready to cut.

The hand grip is fairly flat on the saw allowing for compactness, but not very comfortable. I would have preferred this to be at a 20 to 30 degree angle to be more ergonomic.

As for cutting, I have no complaints. The saw zipped right through the aluminum stock we were cutting, which was the exact reason I bought the saw. Performance wise, the saw did very well.

AS I mentioned, when I tried to get the saw off of the list, they indicated that it was discontinued and I found this on at a Lowes in AZ while on vacation for $89. my local Lowes has n9t started marking them down yet. My guess there is probably a redesign going on with the saw, which may address some of the items noted above. All in all, I don’t have a lot of complaints on the saw, based on the price.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I saw that clear out of old model as well, but decided against it due to bad reviews.

Incidentally we have the redesigned one at work along with a couple of Milwaukees, it’s excels at what its designed to do, which is to cut long thin objects into short thin object. But I think it’s a bit too specialized for most people unless you cut conduit/rod/cantruss all day, and blade replacement cost is quite a bit higher than recip saw/grinder, especially if you cut harder material like stainless.

I saw that clear out of old model as well, but decided against it due to bad reviews.

Incidentally we have the redesigned one at work along with a couple of Milwaukees, it’s excels at what its designed to do, which is to cut long thin objects into short thin object. But I think it’s a bit too specialized for most people unless you cut conduit/rod/cantruss all day, and blade replacement cost is quite a bit higher than recip saw/grinder, especially if you cut harder material like stainless.

Good points , this is one of the reasons I’ve never bought or redeemed for the bandsaw , but as far as the grinder is , it’s practical for so many uses.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

So far I am happy with the Bandsaw other than the blade changes. we cut a lot of aluminum “Z” metal for a certain project. the grinder does not work well on aluminum and the recip saw rattles it to much as the pieces are about 1/8″ x 2″ and pretty flimsy.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I don’t think either is brushless, but given my usage, I can afford a lesser battery life. I’ve already got (2) 4.0Ah, (4) 1.5Ah batteries,

I have the 18v grinder. It’s not brushless. My experience with it is (1) you need at least a 6.3ah battery unless you are just going to cut one or two things at a time and be done with it. When I first got it I took it out to the dock to cut some 1/2″ rebars. I had a fully charged 6.3ah CORE battery and it was able to make 9 cuts before battery ran out totally. I didn’t cut all the way through, just enough so I can bend and snap them off, I couldn’t make ten cuts. Then another time I had expanded steel meshes outside, and I wanted to make a few 2″X2″ square notches, it made one and half way through the second the battery ran out. Grinding rust on a metal surface or using a concrete wheel to shave off a bit of stucco off an exterior wall? About 3 minutes of use then out of juice. I cannot imagine how much a 2ah or 4ah battery will do. I repeated my tests a few times with different batteries, different wheels (diamond vs thin metal etc…) and no big difference. Do a youtube search if how much use you get out of one battery charge is a concern. One guy reported he was able to cut 1″ rebar once with a 6.3ah battery. So if it’s a few odd cuts here and there no issue, if it’s something more you might be disappointed if you don’t have a bunch of charged up batteries ready to go.

I’ll probably be buying another Craftsman Versa-stack box to hold them, as that’s the system I’ve standardized on in the past year or so.

I am also on the TSTAK/VERSASTACK storage platform. The grinder will fit inside barely inside a CMST17830 tool box with it laying flat, it will not fit laying sideways. I originally had planning on it fitting inside a DeWalt DWST17803 deep drawer, it didn’t fit into that drawer, a bit too much height. I also redeemed from here a cutting shroud for it for dust control But after the battery demand issue I went back to my corded Makita for general use and the cordless Bosch I picked up about half a dozen times in two years.

In addition I think any future grinders corded or cordless I want a paddle switch instead of a push rocker.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

In addition I think any future grinders corded or cordless I want a paddle switch instead of a push rocker.

After using both I also prefer the paddle switch vs the push rocker.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.255 seconds