dcsimg

18 gauge nailer recommendations

This topic contains 73 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Author

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m sure that Grex nailer is awesome . But the paslode nailers are so great for being hose and tank free . Would you buy newer units from paslode .

My Grex is still going strong. Zero complaints about it!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I’m sure that Grex nailer is awesome . But the paslode nailers are so great for being hose and tank free . Would you buy newer units from paslode .

My Grex is still going strong. Zero complaints about it!

I’ve been cordless so long now i couldn’t go back to air . If i did mostly shop work I would use air for sure . Big framing jobs or roofs I use air .

Always willing to learn .

I have a King Canada line branded Performance Plus. It leaves marks on everything. The nose is unpadded steel. I would not recommend it. I bought it with a little compressor as a kit and the compressor line from the head to the tank kept breaking as it vibrated so much…they really know how to charge for the replacement part too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I have a King Canada line branded Performance Plus. It leaves marks on everything. The nose is unpadded steel. I would not recommend it. I bought it with a little compressor as a kit and the compressor line from the head to the tank kept breaking as it vibrated so much…they really know how to charge for the replacement part too.

Haha what a coincidence, I have two of the compressors, the 1.5 gallon, that’s taken a beating and still going, it actually fell out of my truck years ago, cracked the aluminum motor casing that holds it to the steel frame,
    And the twin 4 gallon stack I just repaired, your right about the nailers, no protection, only the framing gun
    They work good,

Haha what a coincidence, I have two of the compressors, the 1.5 gallon, that’s taken a beating and still going, it actually fell out of my truck years ago, cracked the aluminum motor casing that holds it to the steel frame,
    And the twin 4 gallon stack I just repaired, your right about the nailers, no protection, only the framing gun
    They work good,

I replaced it with a Mastercraft from Canadian Tire. They were on sale for $97 when they first came out (and were shiny black). Has 2 tanks on it. Not a great one, 2 guys framing with guns keep it busy. I think it is about $130 regular price. It is OK for what I do with it. Really good to power an 18 ga nailer, so I am watching this thread to see what folks like.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

monman1
    Pro

They work good,

I also have that 1.5 gallon compressor. I used it for 3 years framing basement walls, and any time i had a bunch of small things to do. It still works great! Mine also has a crack at the pump near a bolt that bolts to the tank.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Porter cable has some new cordless nailers out. You can read about them here.

http://toolguyd.com/porter-cable-cordless-nailers/

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Nice to see more cordless guns hitting the market. Not sure if I would give the PC a try or not though.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice to see more cordless guns hitting the market. Not sure if I would give the PC a try or not though.

From what I heard they was purchased by Black & Decker/Stanley (strange huh) and they bought it for the name. Their plan is to put the quality back in and rebuild the brand as a Contractor grade rather than a DIYer tool like it had become. The PC name still has value like Bosch is doing with Skil.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

From what I heard they was purchased by Black & Decker/Stanley (strange huh) and they bought it for the name. Their plan is to put the quality back in and rebuild the brand as a Contractor grade rather than a DIYer tool like it had become. The PC name still has value like Bosch is doing with Skil.

I honestly doubt they will. When BD bought out PC is when they went down hill. They also own DeWalt. That will stay as there upper end tools. If you want to call them that.

Ron

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I used a 18 gauge Bostitch for around 5 years. Then, about 2 years ago the piston broke, I replaced it, it didn’t work like before. I bought a Dewalt- same 18 – and Amazon changed it 2 times in a year.
    Now I’m using a Ridgid. Less noisy than the other ones, barely seeable marks on material.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I honestly doubt they will. When BD bought out PC is when they went down hill. They also own DeWalt. That will stay as there upper end tools. If you want to call them that.

It would be nice to see PC make a re-emergence as a pro quality tool but I agree with Ron that it is unlikely. Stanley/Black and Decker seems has put a lot of effort into the DeWalt line and does not seem to want their other lines to compete with it…It does seem that they have kept the Bostitch line quality but they have never pushed that line very hard.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

It would be nice to see PC make a re-emergence as a pro quality tool but I agree with Ron that it is unlikely. Stanley/Black and Decker seems has put a lot of effort into the DeWalt line and does not seem to want their other lines to compete with it…It does seem that they have kept the Bostitch line quality but they have never pushed that line very hard.

I’m not so sure on that Chad. Walmart has a Bostitch line of tools. Look just like the PC stuff.

Ron

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I’m not so sure on that Chad. Walmart has a Bostitch line of tools. Look just like the PC stuff.

Wow, I didn’t know that. All I have seen of Bostitch around here is a couple small air compressors and some levels at Lowe’s. Th levels actually seemed to be pretty nice. Hopefully they don’t kill Bostitch too…I have never had many Bostitch tools but they have been around a long time, would hate to see them turned into garbage like PC.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have a rigid and a no name. The rigid at least has the rubber pad so the work does not get marred. Lots of power to bury and size nails. The no name is good for 1″ nails and is half the weight of the rigid.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Wow, I didn’t know that. All I have seen of Bostitch around here is a couple small air compressors and some levels at Lowe’s. Th levels actually seemed to be pretty nice. Hopefully they don’t kill Bostitch too…I have never had many Bostitch tools but they have been around a long time, would hate to see them turned into garbage like PC.

Yep here is a pic I found.

Ron

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

interesting that it lasted.. everyone i know whos bought them have said they have burned out with minimal use. my boss bought one when he was i a pinch needing multiple compressors at teh same time.. it died 3 hrs after he unboxed it.. took it back and bought a eagle

They work good,

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’d use the Ryobi or Ridgid before I’d use the PC gun.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well the porter cable one looks like it is getting some decent reviews

Heres a tool that took me by surprise. The Porter Cable 20v cordless 18g nailer. Ive never really paid attention to it, as its not a popular brand in my area. Its only sold at Lowes, and I didnt think it would be worth looking into. I can admit when Im wrong. I spent over 2 hours with this gun and its 16g brother. I sunk roughly 600 brads and 300 nails into Oak, Poplar, Spruce, and MDF. The gun was quiet but powerful, very consistent, and its pretty lightweight, but what shocked me was how clean the nail hole was. Its about as clean as it gets. I learned the reason behind this is because this gun shares some parts and design from its pneumatic cousin. I learned quite a bit about Porter Cable today. Things I would have never guessed, like battery tech, development processes, and testing requirements. Was this designed to be a professional grade tool built to withstand 8 hours of heavy use per day? No, but after today, I wouldn't be surprised if it could take it. The overall performance was right up there with professional grade models. Hard to believe? Ill be doing even more in depth testing soon on my sites. Ill also post some more video from todays testing later on. Thanks for reading. #finehomebuilding #portercable #cordlessnailer #carpentry #carpenter #tooltesting #tooltest #bradnailer #paslode #dewalt #senco #hitachi #bostitch #trimcarpentry #trimcarpenter

A video posted by Kiefer Limeback (@toolaholic) on

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

My brother in-law has it and he really likes it. Some times those homeowner brands surprise you.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.712 seconds