dcsimg

18 gauge nailer recommendations

This topic contains 73 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 74 total)
  • Author

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i currently have 2 paslode f18-200 lite line 18 gauge nailers. both are older and getting very finicky. im looking to get a new pinner for production work. i have a bosch 18 gauge but find it leaves massive nail holes comparaed to the paslode..

im leaning towards a grex green buddy but wondering what the newest hitachi is like as its less than half the cost of the grex… @dirtywhiteboy are you still using the hitachi nailers, what does the nose look like on it.. i find several brands of nailers have offset nose pcs which make it harder to get into tight spaces or shoot on a angle

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

I have an older Porter Cable 1-1/4″ 18g brad nailer. I really like it. I actually found the same one at a pawn shop a few years ago and it was in almost new shape and grabbed it up quick so now we have 2.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

my first pinner was a pc.. can honestly say i hated the thing. it made massive holes in wood. its part of the reason i upgraded from it so quickly after getting it

my first pinner was a pc.. can honestly say i hated the thing. it made massive holes in wood. its part of the reason i upgraded from it so quickly after getting it

I think of a pinner as 23g not 18g. If and when these Porter Cables give out I will try the Grex.

Andrew

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have Grex Green Buddy…it’s a great gun, but it’s $200+.

If your only complaint about the Bosch is the size of the driver pin hole, just file the pin down to the width of an 18ga brad head. I’ve done this with many guns over the years. It makes an otherwise mediocre gun much better. Obviously, if it doesn’t fire consistently or has depth issues, filing the driver won’t help though.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have the Hitachi 18g brad nailer. It’s a nice little gun. It dose a good job in tight corners. And the hole is not overly large. The thing that took a little getting used to was the safety is on the back side of the nose. I had always used a Senco that had the safety on the front.

Im thinking Dirty returned his Grex gun. Was having problems with it.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

There for a while I was hearing about a couple 21g guns. Better holding than the little pins from the 23g. And a much smaller hole than the 18g.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

dirtywhiteboy are you still using the hitachi nailers,

I do like the Hitachi 18ga. nailer and I had a Grex and took it back because it left too many nail heads high. I see they get good write up and all , maybe it was a bad batch. The store rep took another one out of the box and tried it out and the same thing a lot of high heads.
    I do use the Bosch 16ga. 18volt a lot now too.

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a couple of the Hitachi 16 GA 2″ guns and can not complain about the performance. We also have a couple of Stanley and a couple of Paslode. the Hitachi are always the first ones grabbed. they have held up well to the jobsite also.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I still have @58cchev ‘s 18g princess auto special and it works great, it has not given me any trouble whatsoever.

I have a dewalt 18, and despite my general dislike of a lot of the brand’s offerings, I find it easy to use, light in the hand, and reliable.

For my 15gauge, Bostich. Need to replace the trigger valve though.

I also have a mastercraft framing nailer, but other than a couple of test fires, I havent ever used it. (which is why I have a mastercraft one – more in case I need to fire a couple of nails than any real need)

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive done the filing down of the driver before.. unfortunately im a bit heavy handed and last time i filed it down too far and it snapped off when i used the nailer again…..

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

ive done the filing down of the driver before.. unfortunately im a bit heavy handed and last time i filed it down too far and it snapped off when i used the nailer again…..

Just the width of the blade, not the thickness will usually do the trick. It’s worth a shot if you aren’t happy with the current performance.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’ve been using a Senco Accuset 18 ga nailer for a few years now. No jams so far; handles 2″ nails and very few heads that need setting. Those are my own fault.
    I know it’s supposed to be an economy brand but I’m impressed with it. Lightweight, comfortable and not fussy about lubrication.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I have the new PC that replaced an old one last year. big disappointment. It’s a jam machine and the head depth is all over the place. The soft nose is nice as it doesn’t dent the piece, but stay away. If I could find an older one I would go back. I’ve been looking at the grex as well but it seems to get hit and miss reviews with wood damage as well.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I got one of those HDX 18ga guns at Home Depot a few months ago for 10 bucks. I have used it twice, and it was fine. We don’t use an 18ga very much.

I’ve been using a Senco Accuset 18 ga nailer for a few years now. No jams so far; handles 2″ nails and very few heads that need setting. Those are my own fault.
    I know it’s supposed to be an economy brand but I’m impressed with it. Lightweight, comfortable and not fussy about lubrication.

That was a good tool line. We have a 1/4″ crown stapler from Accuset that is going on 12 years old and is still firing like new.

I almost grabbed a used Accuset 18g not to long ago but hesitated…might still keep my eye out for one.

Andrew

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I don’t know if I’ll be much help, but I have Senco, oilless, 18 and 23 gauge nailers.

I like the oilless because it doesn’t leave marks on finish work. I’ve never had a jam with either, but I’m not a full-time trim guy, either.

The 18 gauge nailer is pretty big, however. It’s almost the size of a framing nailer. But adjustments are very easy on it. There is a little thumb wheel for depth adjustment, and between that and minor air pressure adjustments, I’ve been able to work ever thing from MDF to some pretty hard oak, and set the heads right where I want them.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’d go with a Hitachi all day long.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I’m sure that Grex nailer is awesome . But the paslode nailers are so great for being hose and tank free . Would you buy newer units from paslode .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.567 seconds