dcsimg

12” Power Miter Saw

This topic contains 39 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author

DIYPro
    Pro

I am in the market for a new Power Miter Saw, as my 10” Delta after 20 years finally gave up. 10” has its limitations, this time I would like to purchase 12”.
    Aporaciate profession carpenter recommendations.

12″ Bosch Glide Mitre saw for the win. On mine I extended the dust boot, added a zero clearance insert, and a nice Dimar blade. Not a tool you want to cart around, it’s heavy, but as a stationary shop tool, it is a one nice machine! I love mine.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I recently discussed with a trim carpenter, the merits of the various mitre saws. For shop use, the Bosch Glide is hands down winner for me but he loves his new Rigid. Considering cost, weight and flexibility, you have to look at the Rigid 12″. Up to 72º swing either direction is a huge plus.

There is so much to choose from That a clear winner is next to impossible to identify. Others will chime in here for sure to help in making the decision.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Doobie
    Pro

You want a unit that is not a chore to lug around at almost half the weight of other miter saws, look at the incredibly well made Festool Kapex, but be ready to pay. It is ridiculously expensive, but it is my favorite miter saw by far over my 10in Bosch Axial glide and my 12in 20 year old Craftsman chopsaw I can’t seem to kill no matter how I somewhat try. Lol.

Yes, the Kapex is not a 12in saw, but it does have a unique feature that allows it to deal with moulding more or less to the capabilities of what other 12in miter saws can deal with.

It’s dust extraction when hooked up to a vac is 90% plus. Most other saws are nowhere near this.

Their sliding rail system also does not warrant an inordinate amount of space behind the saw if this another area for where you want to maybe park it against a wall.

It’s bevel mechanism is also a joy to use in this regard and unlike any other saw I know of. You can truly dial it in so to speak with the ease of a turnable forward knob stem on one of the sliding rail stems.

Their hold down accessory is also efficient and well thought out for when one needs to do such.

Accuracy is its real plus. No more cuts suffering from blade shlop when doing bevelled mitered cuts in hard materials. It realy stands out for this. One thing you should really consider just in moving from a 10 to 12 inch saw, the larger the blade, the more this is accentuated on a saw. Did you know it is partly because a 12in blade ‘flexes’ more in those kinds of demanding cuts than a 10 inch blade, never mind any mechanical shlop caused by the structural integrity of the saw itself?

I love my Bosch glide saw, and is one of the better brands out there, but the Kapex is a masterpiece of functionality and quality engineering. It’s the sticker shock that people don’t like, but I’ve read over the years of so many that that initial hurt goes away once they get to using it. I was one of them myself.

And like Bosch, if you don’t like it, within 30 days, return it to where you bought it for a full refund, no questions asked. This is a Festool and as well a Bosch policy for their power tools. Most companies don’t stand behind their products like either of these two quality German companies. And no, I’m nowhere of being of German decent or have any close family members who are, I just know that many eastern european companies still don’t design/manufacture crap still. Let’s hope it stays that way.

I am not a pro for renumeration either, but I could very well be. I’d say I’m a qualified tool connoiseur and have been doing very advanced renos for myself and woodworking for decades. I can sit with pros and discuss almost anything without embarassment or getting into them stickin their noses up at me, especially when it comes to tools and work techniques.

I’m also not a shill of any company. I speak what I truly feel about tools and such. Nobody pays me in that realm of tool companies although admittedly here on this forum which is points/rewards configured, I do get what are essentially free tools from Bosch but I’ve been here so long and this is more a social outlet for my experiences and ramblings than it is for the freebies I get occasionally for participating here, I DO NOT refrain from taking little stabs at Bosch when it is warranted, same as I do on the FOG (Festool Owners Group) forum when I don’t like something about Festool and their wares. FWIW.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

You want a unit that is not a chore to lug around at almost half the weight of other miter saws, look at the incredibly well made Festool Kapex

…. and a Porsche Cayenne is a great grocery car.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You want a unit that is not a chore to lug around at almost half the weight of other miter saws, look at the incredibly well made Festool Kapex,

Are you joking me??? People have has so much trouble with that saw. It is a total rip off and so many tradesmen that have had it will never buy another one.
    Like said above go for the Ridgid.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

You want a unit that is not a chore to lug around at almost half the weight of other miter saws, look at the incredibly well made Festool Kapex,

Are you joking me??? People have has so much trouble with that saw. It is a total rip off and so many tradesmen that have had it will never buy another one.

Are you referring to the motor problems they had a few years ago?

Or people physically busting them?

The motor problem has since been corrected. When I spoke to a Festool rep at the roadshow that I went to this summer, he said it was just a batch of them a few years ago where they had a problem with. IIRC, it had something to do with faulty commutators. Admittedly, Festool should have done a mass recall, but they didn’t. They just dealt with the ones that failed which most were covered under the 3 year warranty anyways with shipping paid to and from by Festool. Mine wasn’t one of those affected which I’ve had now for around five years now.

Ridgid on the other hand really pissed me off years ago when it came to a snapped prong that harnesses my motor cover on my radial arm saw which was still under warranty at the time. They insisted I send or lug the whole unit to their repair facility to get it replaced, which to me was ridiculous. They refused to send out a new cover. I ended up just keeping it on with duct tape instead.

I have since given away what was this underpowered behemoth that was eating up a huge amount of shop space and was rarely being used. I had only opened up that cover to change the wiring from 110V to 220V. The cover never should have had that prong break and to me was reflective of poor quality plastics being used.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Here is an objective comparison between the Kapex and the Bosch Glide.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m so glad you started this thread @diypro, I’ve already learned a lot of info I had no idea about! I can’t believe the Rigid saw can swing to 72 degrees – that’s amazing. And I didn’t know about the Kapex’s dialing feature either.

Thanks for that comparison @smallerstick, that was informative too. And even though he ended up saying the Bosch was a better deal, it still seemed from his comments that it is definitely a better saw, just also way more expensive. Which can be a really limiting factor (in my experience, lol!) I think if I had to buy my own miter saw right now, I’d probably be going to the DeWalt or Rigid just on price point.

But luckily, I have the Bosch 10″ glide and I love it. Personally I like sticking with 10″ tools just so the blades are interchangeable and less expensive, but if you need that extra cut capacity I get that you may want to make that change.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Mark Spagnuolo does a very good comparison. I recall seeing it years ago and just watched it all again just now. Mark’s an excellent presenter and reviewer. Brings forward a lot of the features of the Kapex I mentioned earlier.

Thing is, the OP wants to go from a 10 to 12 inch saw which to me likely meant that they wanted it for dealing with wider molding work. If that assumption is correct, then a lot of the comparisons that Mark focuses on and bases his overall satisfaction need to be taken with a little grain of salt because as he clearly mentions he rarely ever uses his miter saw out of 90 degrees. Therefore, his review needs to be weighed against other criteria for somebody who does have the needs of someone who does do a lot of miter and bevel cutting.

On a another note, Mark mentions that you can use the Kapex dust boot on the Bosch saw to potentially improve the dust collection. This is true, although when I tried it I really didn’t notice any real significant difference so I didn’t even opt to buy an extra Kapex boot for my Bosch saw. I think IIRC they sell for $25 or so.

Even with the Kapex boot on the Bosch, it comes nowhere close to the dust collection on the Kapex. The primary reason that the Kapex is so effective in this regard looking at it and comparing it to the Bosch, (or any other saw out there), is where they located the boot on what is essentially the ‘suction chamber’ on the Kapex being its dust cover.

On the Bosch , the whole mechanism is an add-on component apart from the dust cover itself. This imo is what makes such a huge difference in the dust collection for the Kapex over any other saw out there. Just that few more inches further away makes most of the difference, but I also see that by virtue of the collection chamber being as part of the blade shroud I believe there is some kind of a vortex effect to some degree assisting further with controlling directionally how the dust flies away so efficiently into it’s dust collection port.

While folks can fiddle-faddle with making modified boots for their saws for dust collection, unless you have it as part of the dust cover shroud itself, in my estimation after playing with this notion and doing a little experimenting myself, you either run into issues with interfering with cut capabilities or worse, potentially causing a dangerous situation if whatever homemade contraption one may have made gets compromised during a cut. I came to determine after a while, there just isn’t anything one could do to get the Bosch close to dust collection of the Kapex simply because of the aforementioned inherent design difference I mentioned previously about the dust collection forming part of the cover. I may make a better boot for my Bosch out of leather one day, but I see no urgency for this as I honestly feel it will be a minor improvement anyways in its dust collection capabilities.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I am in the market for a new Power Miter Saw, as my 10” Delta after 20 years finally gave up. 10” has its limitations, this time I would like to purchase 12”.
    Aporaciate profession carpenter recommendations.

are you looking for a corded model or do you want to jump into the cordless line`?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Mark Spagnuolo does a very good comparison. I recall seeing it years ago and just watched it all again just now. Mark’s an excellent presenter and reviewer. Brings forward a lot of the features of the Kapex I mentioned earlier.

Thing is, the OP wants to go from a 10 to 12 inch saw which to me likely meant that they wanted it for dealing with wider molding work. If that assumption is correct, then a lot of the comparisons that Mark focuses on and bases his overall satisfaction need to be taken with a little grain of salt because as he clearly mentions he rarely ever uses his miter saw out of 90 degrees. Therefore, his review needs to be weighed against other criteria for somebody who does have the needs of someone who does do a lot of miter and bevel cutting.

On a another note, Mark mentions that you can use the Kapex dust boot on the Bosch saw to potentially improve the dust collection. This is true, although when I tried it I really didn’t notice any real significant difference so I didn’t even opt to buy an extra Kapex boot for my Bosch saw. I think IIRC they sell for $25 or so.

Even with the Kapex boot on the Bosch, it comes nowhere close to the dust collection on the Kapex. The primary reason that the Kapex is so effective in this regard looking at it and comparing it to the Bosch, (or any other saw out there), is where they located the boot on what is essentially the ‘suction chamber’ on the Kapex being its dust cover.

On the Bosch , the whole mechanism is an add-on component apart from the dust cover itself. This imo is what makes such a huge difference in the dust collection for the Kapex over any other saw out there. Just that few more inches further away makes most of the difference, but I also see that by virtue of the collection chamber being as part of the blade shroud I believe there is some kind of a vortex effect to some degree assisting further with controlling directionally how the dust flies away so efficiently into it’s dust collection port.

While folks can fiddle-faddle with making modified boots for their saws for dust collection, unless you have it as part of the dust cover shroud itself, in my estimation after playing with this notion and doing a little experimenting myself, you either run into issues with interfering with cut capabilities or worse, potentially causing a dangerous situation if whatever homemade contraption one may have made gets compromised during a cut. I came to determine after a while, there just isn’t anything one could do to get the Bosch close to dust collection of the Kapex simply because of the aforementioned inherent design difference I mentioned previously about the dust collection forming part of the cover. I may make a better boot for my Bosch out of leather one day, but I see no urgency for this as I honestly feel it will be a minor improvement anyways in its dust collection capabilities.

This just makes me want to see if I can modify the cover on my glide now, lol! But maybe I’ll wait till I’m out of the warranty period to start messing with it…

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Hitachi also make a very good sliding miter saw. In fact Hitachi invented the sliding miter saw. They are not a lot of money too.

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro

Hitachi also make a very good sliding miter saw. In fact Hitachi invented the sliding miter saw.

I didn’t know that. Basically once sliding miter saws came around in numbers, nobody wanted radial arm saws any longer.

I bought a RAS in the early 2000s and never should have. Hardly ever used it and ended up just giving it away a few years ago. Hardly anybody would give you money for it. I don’t even think anybody makes new ones nowadays.

redwood
    Pro

The motor problem has since been corrected. When I spoke to a Festool rep at the roadshow that I went to this summer, he said it was just a batch of them a few years ago where they had a problem with. IIRC, it had something to do with faulty commutators. Admittedly, Festool should have done a mass recall, but they didn’t. They just dealt with the ones that failed which most were covered under the 3 year warranty anyways with shipping paid to and from by Festool. Mine wasn’t one of those affected which I’ve had now for around five years now.

My Kapex died just out of warranty. Festool offered no help. Pretty much nobody repairs them other then Festool, so you have to ship it back to them on your nickel. Though I really appreciate some of their tools, the Kapex is not one of them. It does not justify the price difference with other saws.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

redwood
    Pro

Hitachi also make a very good sliding miter saw. In fact Hitachi invented the sliding miter saw. They are not a lot of money too.

Do you have proof of that? I had a Delta Sawbuck, that I thought was the first.

Attachments:

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

My Kapex died just out of warranty. Festool offered no help. Pretty much nobody repairs them other then Festool, so you have to ship it back to them on your nickel. Though I really appreciate some of their tools, the Kapex is not one of them. It does not justify the price difference with other saws.

how much would it been if they repaired it?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

redwood
    Pro

how much would it been if they repaired it?

About as much as I could get the glide saw for. Surprisingly or not, I was able to sell the Kapex in one day on Craig’s List, for $ 200, as is.

The thing that really irked me, was I couldn’t even buy a parts diagram for the saw.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve noticed that their design seems really smart too – the rails extend forward and the motor slides out onto them so there isn’t that typical amount of space needed behind them like most other sliding miter saws. I noticed that once and was shocked by it because I thought the glide was the first innovation to help keep those saws tight to a wall, but apparently Hitachi thought up their own way too. I don’t know anything about how well it tracks or how rigid it keeps the blades in use, but I did notice it and thought about what a smart idea that is. They seem pretty heavy though.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Do you have proof of that? I had a Delta Sawbuck, that I thought was the first.

Yes that tool has been around forever. I don’t think it is a sliding miter saw tho?? Maybe a mini radial arm saw?

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.543 seconds