dcsimg

12 inch Disc sander

This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  r-ice 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I got enough money for Christmas to buy 12 inch disc sander that I have been wanting for awhile. I have never used one before. I unboxed it last night put the disc on and give to a try. It worked pretty good.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice, I have a 6″ with a 4 x 36 belt attached. I have not used it a lot but have started to use it a lot more. For the right projects, they come in very handy.

Make sure you pick up a sanding belt cleaning block, I do find that the disk will gum up fairly easily but the belt cleaner really extends the life.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Nice, I have a 6″ with a 4 x 36 belt attached. I have not used it a lot but have started to use it a lot more. For the right projects, they come in very handy.

Make sure you pick up a sanding belt cleaning block, I do find that the disk will gum up fairly easily but the belt cleaner really extends the life.

Thank you! I already have a cleaning block as I have 6 x 48 belt sander. It doesn’t have a disc sander on it.

Greg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I got enough money for Christmas to buy 12 inch disc sander that I have been wanting for awhile. I have never used one before. I unboxed it last night put the disc on and give to a try. It worked pretty good.

Nice score, Greg, that’s going to be very useful.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

sweet now quick question when it comes to sand paper. do you have to buy specific sandpaper for that machine or can you do what i do and get your regular sheets and trim it around the disc itself.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Nice score, Greg, that’s going to be very useful.

Thanks. It has been something I have wanted for awhile. I too think it will be very useful.

sweet now quick question when it comes to sand paper. do you have to buy specific sandpaper for that machine or can you do what i do and get your regular sheets and trim it around the disc itself.

That is a good question @r-ice. I guess I could. When I bought it I was told. I could buy a Velcro sheet thats sticks to the disc to adapt a plain sander to Velcro. Then you buy Velcro sandpaper disc. This way you can change out the grits. I think I may end up going this route in the future.

Greg

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

can you do what i do and get your regular sheets and trim it around the disc itself.

I’m not aware of sheets that wide (12″) but for smaller discs, yes you can cut your own from sheets

Doobie

Nice addition Greg. Does it have a dust collection port?

I have the Ridgid belt/spindle sander. Been very happy with it and never felt I needed a big disk sander so far.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

can you do what i do and get your regular sheets and trim it around the disc itself.

I’m not aware of sheets that wide (12″) but for smaller discs, yes you can cut your own from sheets

Yeah I guess your right that sandpaper sheets aren’t 12 wide. I never really gave it much thought. The disc sandpaper is much thicker so it should last quite awhile.

Nice addition Greg. Does it have a dust collection port?

I have the Ridgid belt/spindle sander. Been very happy with it and never felt I needed a big disk sander so far.

Thanks! Yes it has a dust port. I have spindle sander & a belt sander. I really haven’t been happy with them.

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That a beautiful sander,,, very useful in the shop.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Yeah I guess your right that sandpaper sheets aren’t 12 wide. I never really gave it much thought. The disc sandpaper is much thicker so it should last quite awhile.

Yup the discs are thicker, that’s what I use. You can cut your own but they don’t hold up as well, but in a pinch it will get you by ’til you get some real discs

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

congrats on your new tool for the shop. what brand is that. Can’t really identify it.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That a beautiful sander,,, very useful in the shop.

I thinking will be very useful in the shop.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

congrats on your new tool for the shop. what brand is that. Can’t really identify it.

Thanks. It is a Craftex from Busy Bee

Greg

Nice pick up for the shop. There is always something needing sanding. Swapping sanding disks is not fun. A heat gun can help.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

ahhh I got lucky, both of my disc sanders are 9 inches and one of them has a magnet system that can swap out plates pretty quick. Witht he 9inch sander, i can use 3m’s temporary adhesive to put on new sheets of regular sandpaper and trim it.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@gtokley,
    Nice disk sander, I have a smaller 6″ with a belt sander attached.
    Been going for a couple of decades now, a larger disk will be nice.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

That is something that looks like it will be very handy, considering that everyone LOVES sanding. Anything to make it easier is a good thing.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Nice pick up for the shop. There is always something needing sanding. Swapping sanding disks is not fun. A heat gun can help.

Yes something is always needing sanding. It should come in handy for shaping to the line. Yes I have heard it is not fun swapping out discs. I heard a heat gun will help with job. Something I don’t have. Will have add to the wishlist. Another reason I to buy Velcro sheet thats sticks to the disc to adapt a plain sander to Velcro. Then you buy Velcro sandpaper disc. This way you can change out the grits.

ahhh I got lucky, both of my disc sanders are 9 inches and one of them has a magnet system that can swap out plates pretty quick. Witht he 9inch sander, i can use 3m’s temporary adhesive to put on new sheets of regular sandpaper and trim it.

I guess you are lucky. What kind of sander do you have?

@gtokley,
    Nice disk sander, I have a smaller 6″ with a belt sander attached.
    Been going for a couple of decades now, a larger disk will be nice.

Thanks Frank. I think I will like the bigger disc. Now to have a chance to use it.

That is something that looks like it will be very handy, considering that everyone LOVES sanding. Anything to make it easier is a good thing.

I hear you Jim on making things easier. With limit shop time. Easier is always better.

Greg

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well I picked up this one from another woodworker in Toronto. It was home built but it works.

I also have this higher powered one with vfd controls and 3 removable magnetic plates to change between grits.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.415 seconds