dcsimg

Where Is Your Workshop?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 60 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of John S supimeister 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Author

I have a basement shop 16′ x 36′ x 8′. If I had my druthers I’d build a barn with lots of windows and drive in access to my shop! Where is your shop?

tfratzel
    Participant

Mine is on the 2nd floor above my garage. I too hope to one day build a large barn. The key is having really good access for loading materials and removing finished projects.

Todd,

That’s funny. Every guy I know would love a barn or large outbuilding. “A man town of tools”

Is your shop mostly woodworking or geared to other trades? How do you heat it?

I’m hoping to get the BTP folks to allow posting of pictures. If they do I’d love to get folks to post photos of their shops.

bradstaggs
    Participant

Mine’s in a converted 2-car garage. Still in the process of adding a new garage, but the important thing is that my tools are nice and dry. My truck, however, sits in the elements. I’m good with that. And even though it’s a large space, I could still use more!

jeff_williams
    Participant

2+ garage, unheated. All of my big tools are on wheels so I can roll them out of the way to get at least one car in there. I’m slowly insulating it so I can add a vented NG heater.

I want a big barn too. One side for working on vehicles (with a hoist) and the other for woodworking. For now I’ll settle for heat and a shed to put all the lawn and garden stuff into.

Rob, I think we can attach images to posts up to 1000 KB in size (just above the post button).

Jeff – that’s new today and was a result of a suggestion. BTP is still fine tuning everything and are very open to feedback. Thanks for pointing that out ~ I totally missed it. ROB

Jeff – that’s new today and was a result of a suggestion. BTP is still fine tuning everything and are very open to feedback. Thanks for pointing that out ~ I totally missed it. ROB

cranbrook2
    Participant
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have 2 shops My one shop is in the house and it is 16 ft x 16 ft. I use it mainly in the winter and my second shop is two storey with 1600 sq ft . Both are fully equipped with woodworking tools .

Attachments:
    1. 1-DSC02794

1-DSC02794.jpg

2. 1-DSC03000-002

1-DSC03000-002.jpg

RobRussell26
    Participant

In my garage 24 x 24 right now it mainly to keep supplies and tools organized. I am working on turning into a shop I can use its going to take time and money. I have a couple of diseases which cost me a lot to stay healthy so my shop comes last after my wife and kids. I would give anything to work from my shop. But as for now I keep plugging away as a mobile carpenter.

John ~ I’m officially jealous. I have a basement shop and would KILL to get a ground level / daylight shop.

I also work out of a 6×10 trailer and recently “pimped it out” See link: http://www.aconcordcarpenter.com/2012/10/bosch-click-and-go-system.html

cranbrook2
    Participant

Thanks Robert ! I gave my main shop a makeover in the summer this year . It didn,t look too good before . It had cheap ugly siding and i also added a 12 x 16 cedar deck on the end of the building coming off the second floor .

Attachments:
    1. 1-DSC00604-001

1-DSC00604-001.jpg

2. 1-DSC00965

1-DSC00965.jpg

3. 1-DSC02001

1-DSC02001.jpg

Grandpacanfixit
    Participant

Had a 2 car garage, closed one in when we needed an extra room and said what the heck, we never put the car in anyway so that became my work shop.
    went out and got lots of cabinets, built a new work bench and best of all since the boiler room is off the garage it keeps about 62 degrees even on the coldest days.
    installed a great air filter system and spend lots of time thereduring the winter.

mark
    Participant
    Jackson, TN

I went from a 24′ x 28′ down to a 16′x18′, after moving. Talk about cramped for space, but can we ever really have one big enough?

John – I like those birdhouses. Are the paintings on your shop murals or are they posters? Tough to see in the pic

cranbrook2
    Participant

Thanks Robert . The posters are made with a aluminum backing. They are made to last a long time .I send them the pictures and they print them off .

Harry
    Participant

Mark you are absolulely right. I’ve never head someone say that they wish their workshop was smaller.

andy
    Participant

My workshop is an old shed,barn that I renovated. I was able to make it completely to my specifications and was able to try different techniques and use it as a mini experiment.

jKraft
    Participant

I would love to have the ultimate workshop. I currently work out of my oversized garage, but have plans for a larger place. I have lots of tools and equipment so I am excited to finally have a custom place for all my stuff.

Alum? Wow very innovative and resistant to the weather too. Good choice!

Sprokitz
    Participant

I have a woodshop in the basement, and a shop in the garage for mechanical work. I need better dust control for the basement shop !!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.136 seconds