dcsimg

raising the roof

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Brian parenos 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I just had someone ask me about raising the roof on a lake cottage. The house was built in the late 20s. They want to cut the current roof and lift it up, build up the wall and then lower the roof back on the wall. Has anyone ever attempted something like this? My idea was to attach a hinged hanger on the top of each rafter, (like the ones they would use when transporting Modular houses), build the wall that the raised roof would sit on and cut everything lose and jack up the roof and slide the new wall underneath it.
    Wondering if anyone has any other idea’s or knows of a better way to do this.

redwood
    Participant

Without seeing it, that would be tough for any of us to really give you a good answer. How big is the roof, what style, how high does it need to go?

I can’t say I’ve raised any roofs, but the order I’ve raised other things is to cut everything loose (have temp. supports, if necessary), Jack things up, and then build or extend as needed.

Mark E.
    Los Gatos, CA
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Mark
    Its a 5/12 gable roof, the other side of the roof has been raised in the 50′s. The bottom gable end would need to be raised about 5 ft. the roof section would be 30 ft wide. I have a decent game plan, but wanted to get any insight from others.

cranbrook2
    Participant
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

It would be better to rip the old one off and build a new one .I have never seen someone raise a roof . If you did how can you attach it properly .

Dabbs
    Participant
    I GOT A PALLET!! WOOHOO!! THANK YOU BTP!!, 840103

WOW, Is that even a good idea being it’s so old? Sorry I’m no help but I’m sure interested in what you come up with.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I am looking into metal connector plates, and ties to reattach the rafters to the peak.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

still trying to figure out the best way to tackle this, before i submit a estimate.

cranbrook2
    Participant

I did a Google search and I just don,t see anyone lifting a house or cottage roof in one piece .Closet I saw was lifting commercial flat roofs with hydraulic jacks

kzcarp
    Participant

So is the whole thing coming up 5′, or just the eave side? I’m still not picturing this clearly.

kevin

redwood
    Participant

We need pictures. You said that one side has already been raised. Does it hinge at the ridge?

Mark E.
    Los Gatos, CA
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

No hinges it was raised in 1955. They really want to lift it to try to save money, but I am thinking it will be easier and cheaper to just reframe it. However I have done work for this person in the past and when they have an idea in their mind, they will not get off it. This is a family cabin on a lake that they have had in their family for ever. She told me in 55 that her grandfather and uncle raised the other side with poles. Let me try to get a sketch to put up

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

hopefully this will load

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Only the Eave side is going to be raised. The current roof is a 5/12 pitch. the Ridge of the roof will stay at the same height. The eave will be raised 5 ft so the new finished roof will be a 1/12 pitch.

cranbrook2
    Participant

I am not seeing any pictures :-(

KentWhitten
    Participant

Yeah, pictures would be awesome. Raising the roof and sliding some walls in doesn’t sound great or safe to me, but there’s always a way isn’t there?

As an FYI, it takes about 2 hours for 2 guys to completely remove an entire roof off of a cape, approx, 34′ long. A few skil saw blades and sawzall blades and a big dumpster.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA
    cranbrook2
    Participant

That is much easier to do now that I see the pictures . I thought you were lifting the whole roof off . :-)
    That shouldn,t be hard to cut the roof and lift it up .

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I am still toying with a few different ways to raise the eave end.

redwood
    Participant

First off Brian, you need to upgrade your version of Chief Architect. The latest version will show you how to do it. JK

Is there a ridge beam? If not, are you going to use collar ties or something to hold that ridge together.

I’ll tell you, I look at that and I know that it would be easier to just reframe the roof. I don’t know if it would be cheaper, but it would be stronger and easier.

Mark E.
    Los Gatos, CA
    kzcarp
    Participant

Oh, that’s no big deal. And since you will be stripping off the existing shingles from the roof, it gets lighter. A beam across the eave edge and multiple sets of props. Tough part will be getting the ridge end of the rafter re-cut to sit tight to the ridgr board and keeping the ridge end of the raised roof in place. but a temp.support wall and some ratchet straps should work.
    Plan it for the end of the week, I’ll come over and give you a hand.

kevin

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.836 seconds