dcsimg

Paint vs Stain Trend

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Boyd Dabbs 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

I’ve noticed that there has been more of a trend lately for painted cabinets instead of stained cabinets. Have you noticed the same thing in your area?

Sprokitz
    Participant

Yes, I have noticed that… and I’m not a fan. I like the look of wood, any wood, stained or natural. My feeling is, if wood was meant to be painted, trees would grow with primer on them instead of bark

woodman_412

Lol yeah I agree with you Charles…primer instead of bark that’s a good one. If you’re going to build something out of wood you should use the natural beauty of the wood. When the client wants paint there isn’t much you can do.

supimeister

yes – i see the trend too. in my opinion, we can thank pinterest for this trend… not that i totally dislike it, but it is definitely “in” right now from my wife’s perspective
    -it is a nice way to take free stuff from curbs and make it “attractive” :)

John S
    Sprokitz
    Participant

I don’t think I ever found any worthwhile curb finds, but have got some nice stuff at yard/garage sales. Early last summer my wife picked up a solid maple small dresser for $6. Heavy quality piece with oak dovetailed drawer sides and backs. Someone had already “refinished” it by slapping a coat of white paint on it lol. I stripped it, sanded it out, stain and poly… looks great !

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i have noticed more painted cabients.. milk paint actually a few of hte local high end cabinet guys are using it a fair amount and on real wood along with plywood cabinets.. not the melamine garbage that falls apart after 8years

putting down subfloor with glue and screws, so i called dr smith and the robot too!
    woodman_412

At the spray shop in town where I get my spray finishing done they told me that it costs almost twice as much to do a painted finish as stain and lacquer. Going the painted route isn’t the cheaper option that some people think it is. I like painted cabinets if the style suits it. Here are a few pics I took as I was doing the install on some cabinets that I built for a client last spring. I like the look of bead board panels and a painted finish.

Attachments:
    1. IMG-20120609-00904

IMG-20120609-00904.jpg

2. IMG-20120609-00903

IMG-20120609-00903.jpg

3. IMG-20120609-00902

IMG-20120609-00902.jpg

4. IMG-20120608-00891

IMG-20120608-00891.jpg

Sprokitz
    Participant

Dan, I always liked beadboard… The white painted ones you did have that “retro” look to them

woodman_412

Yeah the retro look was what the client was going for, it was a reno to an old house and some of the existing cabinets were staying as you can see in the background. I think that style of cabinet looks good painted. The white cabinet was built with face frames and more traditional hinges to get the look they were going for and then the island was built frameless with cup hinges for maximum efficiency and usability.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Every job I have lined up right now is painted. Everyone wants something neutral, people are starting to realize that Golden Oak can go out of style. Its all trends, in another few years, everything will be painted colors, then back to light wood stains, then back to dark. I have noticed that we are starting to trend away from the dark woods to the white cabinets. I am fine with the painted cabinets, poplar and soft maple are cheaper than the other woods I was working with before and prices are more. Plus I can get discounts on materials buying them in bulk.

woodman_412

I’ve been seeing people run far away from golden oak too. I very rarely end up working with oak anymore, it seems to date a project because at one time it was used so much. It’s interesting to see how the styles change and cycle through.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Its good to see cycles, you get more experience with different products and if you are in the trade long enough, you can work with a client through all stages of the cycle.

Dabbs
    Participant
    I GOT A PALLET!! WOOHOO!! THANK YOU BTP!!, 840103

@Dan, Beautiful work Sir,…I still prefer stain. But for the retro look like in your pics paint was the obvious choice for sure. I guess it all depends on what look you’re going for. Thanks for the pics

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.925 seconds