dcsimg

New Hire Rules

This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeff jkirk 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

When you hire a new guy – do you give him written rules of conduct?

What are you top 5 rules?

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

Ok none of you have rules for new hires????

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

I’ve never had a big problem in the past where I’ve thought I needed written rules. Verbal expectations with a handshake initially, reminders if they are being stretched, and ultimatums if it is a serious issue, such as blatant disrespect of the rules.

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

If I hired people I would :)

I agree a firm handshake and being reliable
    Is good enough for me

Profile photo of CaliDecks
    Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I try not to be too strict with workers . However I do lay down exactly what I won’t tolerate when they start. Like drugs, being late ( when a guy is constantly late it is very disrespectful IMO) not showing up without calling in. And interrupting me while I’m talking to the HO. I had a kid once jump right in a conversation about mirrors in a bathroom I was remodeling. He went from sweeping to explaining what he thought was the right ones. He was probably 19 years old. The problem was what he was telling the HO wasn’t even close to being in my budget. I said we don’t need your input and it’s not your job. I almost had to buy the HO mirrors that were 4 times the cost then what he was paying for.

Profile photo of Chad
    ChadM
    Pro
    East Palestine, Ohio

I don’t have too many rules. The big ones that explained to everybody are:

1. Be on time

2. Show up sober – I don’t care what you do on your time but I don’t want you drunk or high at work.

3. I am not a taxi service – if you want to meet me at the shop and ride with me, that’s fine. But don’t expect me to pick you up at your house everyday.

4. Wear appropriate clothes. If we are remodeling someones kitchen don’t show up wearing a shirt that says “I love BJ’s” (that one happened).

5. Remember that I am the boss. I will listen to your opinion on how to do things but in the end that is my decision.

Chad | Housewright Construction | www.yourhousewright.com | Member since 12/07/2013
    Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

And of course there’s the “Golden Rule” “the guy with the gold rules”

I tell my workers this is not a democracy it’s a straight dictatorship. We don’t vote for anything on my jobs!

Profile photo of Matt
    mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I tell my workers this is not a democracy it’s a straight dictatorship. We don’t vote for anything on my jobs!

If you pay ‘em that’s the way it ought to roll. If they think they can do it better, they can try it when they’re paying the bills.

That’s the downside of the labor market around here, so hard to find people some people put up with way too much and the guy paying the wages ends up suffering in the end for it.

Profile photo of Jason
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

5. Remember that I am the boss. I will listen to your opinion on how to do things but in the end that is my decision.

I see this as a trend and I would agree that it is essential. As soon as other guys start thinking they run the show you loose all control over the job.

Profile photo of Kurt
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I dont but I should. It has been on my to do list for a long time. It is something I plan to focus on this winter/\.

Profile photo of Chad
    ChadM
    Pro
    East Palestine, Ohio

I see this as a trend and I would agree that it is essential. As soon as other guys start thinking they run the show you loose all control over the job.

I keep an open mind – I have had guys sway me on how I do certain things, if they have a way that is better, or faster, or more efficient and still results in the quality of my way then I am all for it. But I have hired a couple guys who refused to do things the way I wanted them done – those guys didn’t last long. For example, I hired a carpenter to work with me, pretty good guy – we built a deck and didn’t have any issues. Our next job was putting in some crown – about 800 L.F. I like to rip 2x’s on an angle and attach them to the wall so that I can nail my crown wherever I want. I realize it isn’t necessary but that is how I do it and I charged to do it that way. He refused, said it the dumbest thing he ever heard – fired him on the spot.

Chad | Housewright Construction | www.yourhousewright.com | Member since 12/07/2013
    Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

1)be on time, help set up and break down gear

2) when asked to do something do it, and in the manner your asked to do it

3) dont give attitude your the new guy

4) if the client asks you do to something that isn`t within your scope of work for the day tell them that they will have to bring it up with the Gc first so that its accounted for in the billing if its an extra

5) dont steal from the company

putting down subfloor with glue and screws, so i called dr smith and the robot too!
    Profile photo of Chad
    ChadM
    Pro
    East Palestine, Ohio

1)be on time, help set up and break down gear

2) when asked to do something do it, and in the manner your asked to do it

3) dont give attitude your the new guy

4) if the client asks you do to something that isn`t within your scope of work for the day tell them that they will have to bring it up with the Gc first so that its accounted for in the billing if its an extra

5) dont steal from the company

Not stealing is a big one. I have had to fire a couple guys for taking materials.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Once had a laborer I asked to push decking up against a spacer and stay ahead of me as I screw the decking down with face screws. I was using a Simpson QuikDrive. He jumped up said this is skilled labor and if I wanted him to do this job I would have to pay him more for it. It was his third day working for me. He went on to say “this is more then just pushing a broom”. Well I keep ” I’m pissed” checks in the truck. When I fire someone, I actually pay them for the rest of the day. I said “here I paid you for the whole day, I don’t need you anymore”.

Profile photo of Chad
    ChadM
    Pro
    East Palestine, Ohio

To answer the original question; no, I don’t hand out written rules of conduct. I have an employee handbook in the works (covers rules of conduct, safety rules, use of PPE, etc) but have never got around to finishing it. I am back to being a one man show for now, the helper I had left to go to school – I will probably try to hire someone in the spring, maybe I will have it done by then.

Profile photo of Boyd
    Dabbs
    Pro

I think your rules are plenty fair and square Chad, I wish I had just those few all my life to deal with when working for someone. Although I’ve never been fired from a job but on some of the rules I’ve had to do some fancy dancing around LOL.

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

not stealing tools is a big one anywhere.. olfa knife blades and pencils disappear constantly on our sites there safe nowhere

putting down subfloor with glue and screws, so i called dr smith and the robot too!
    Profile photo of Matthew
    MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

not stealing tools is a big one anywhere.. olfa knife blades and pencils disappear constantly on our sites there safe nowhere

Amen

Profile photo of Chad
    ChadM
    Pro
    East Palestine, Ohio

I had one guy that was going back to the job site in the evenings and taking lumber. I forgot my coffee thermos at a pole barn we were building – when I pulled in to get it there he was loading plywood in his truck.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.923 seconds