dcsimg

Employee Handbook

This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Steven NJBuilder 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Anyone using an employee handbook?

Did you make it or buy it – where’d you get it?

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

Don’t have one, but this is one big hurdle to hiring an employee. Others being things required by the gobbmit — tax withholding, payroll, workman’s comp, insurance and other benefits.

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

its depends on the size of the company, for small companies with 1 or 2 guys you might just have to go over a few ground rules verbally.. i worked for a large commercial company a while back that had a 4″ binder that we were supposed to read over. the super intendant i was working under had to ask if i read it so he asked what color the binder was “blue” ok you read it… it was mostly generic power tool procedure stuff.. 2 -3 pages for ever tool we might use on site…

putting down subfloor with glue and screws, so i called dr smith and the robot too!

Ok heres the deal…..

I know a bunch of contractors who have fired guys for breaking the rules / poor quality work / late / etc.,. and then the employees turn around and apply for and some successfully get unemployment pay.

Big legal fights ensues with he said, she said… blah, blah. Bottom line is the proof is on the employer that they fired the employee and that the employe was put on notice to improve prior to being fired.

The point is if they have signed a page or two of general rules and then if they break them they receive an email [documentation] warning them to improve then they have no legal claim if later fired for a subsequent infraction.

Protect your asses gents!!!

No handbook just a firm handshake and
    Do what is expected. Now that I will work
    For emcorp corp. Their handbook looks like
    A dictionary. Dam.

I don’t have employees, but a handbook in my mind is a must-have before hiring one. I don’t think it needs to be 4″ thick, but a Reader’s Digest version. I’ve gotten pretty good at condensing writing.

The US government has a really good primer on Plain English. Despite being 118 pages, you can probably read it in an hour. Just a few simple rules and you’re off and running: http://www.plainlanguage.gov/howto/guidelines/FederalPLGuidelines/FederalPLGuidelines.pdf

I’ve gotten a lot of legal forms from Nolo Press, that’s the first place I’d look for one.

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

robert, this is something were actually going to be implenting at work very very shortly.. were looking to getting better organized and sorting some issues out

putting down subfloor with glue and screws, so i called dr smith and the robot too!

Thanks Bob

Jeff – lets chat more on this – I’m interested!

Profile photo of gerald
    Gerald
    Pro

In California documentation is essential to protect yourself from unethical ex-employees. An employee handbook is instrumental when employee misconduct becomes a problem. It’s important that a handbook be drafted by an Attorney to make sure it agrees with state and federal law.

Profile photo of Jason
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

We are an employer in Wisconsin and an employee handbook is 100% necessary. Think of the handbook as a guide so don’t make it too specific.

Make sure to outline:

1.) Offenses that will warrant termination
    2.) Policy that involves employee safety (Guns, Drugs, Alcohol)
    3.) Attendance policy:
    Without an attendance policy it will be next to impossible to fight and win an unemployment case.
    4.) Emergency action plan, basically what to do in the event of an emergency or fire.
    5.) Warning system, how many warnings either verbal or written does it take to terminate an employee.

Having worked in HR extensively I can definitely help you guys out if you have any employment questions. It may be tough for me in states like CA because you guys are just crazy out there but most other states are pretty similar.

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

id say most handbooks cover the same things.. regardless of location. it ultimately comes down to ensuring that the employee does everything in thei power to ensure the success of the company and to protect themself

Profile photo of Jerry
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Skiatook, OK

I worked in a Lab on a campus along the east coast. Our employee manual was 2 yes 2 4″ binders. We had to read it then take a test. Undergrad students had to read it before they could even wash dishes. Took the avg undergrad 3 days to read it, paid time. We had rules for everything we had in the lab and everything we might ever bring into the lab. Procedures for every procedure we did and every procedure we might think of. We had a material safety data sheet for everything. Including water, a hammer, and salt. Fun times.

Robert, I live in an at will state now. Firing is much similar.

A handbook is really necessary for any business. Otherwise managing people becomes problematic and inconsistent, which is not good.

Orange County, CA
    Profile photo of Jason
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Even living in an “At will employment” state unfortunately we all live in litigation happy America.

Yep…everyone is a victim.

Orange County, CA
    Profile photo of Kurt
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have been wanting to create one for a couple of years but have not got it done.

Profile photo of Jerry
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Skiatook, OK

Does the times I talk to myself count as employee training?

Profile photo of Jason
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I have been wanting to create one for a couple of years but have not got it done.

I think starting with a pre-made template may be your best option. Each state has important legal jargon that you will want to incorporate.

Profile photo of Bill
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks like i better start putting in writing what gets said at employee performance reviews. I am a firm believer good employees are made not born. Training, supervision, feedback as well setting expectations high all contribute to workforce that generates income while keeping problems to a minimum.

Bill Strobel Owner Independent Towing & Repair Fayetteville, NC Do It Right or Don’t Do It At All
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.859 seconds