dcsimg

Drilling Speeds

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan woodman_412 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nick
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I’m confused, recently i have read a few things in which people say when using a power drill corded or cordless, the larger the bit the slower and higher torque you should use for best results. The smaller the bit, the higher speeds you want to use; however i dont think you want such a high RPM on a 1/16 brad point bit but for a 1/4 brad point bit that could make sense. Also, it seems the material in use also makes a difference. Even with a smaller brad point bit which can be used at a high RPM should be used at a low RPM when drilling masonry. Confusion hit me once i tried to figure out the real difference between an 8amp 850rpm corded drill and a 10amp 2500+ rpm variable speed drill. Any clarification here would be helpful for the sake of my\others safety. :) thanks!

Profile photo of Brian
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Drilling with masonary bits, I almost always use a rotary hammer. I very rarely change speed on my drill when I use brad point bits, the real difference is when you change to spade bits, and hole saws. The larger the surface area of the bit, the more tourque you will need to advance the bit. The clutch on most cordless drill will have settings on them. The one end of spectrum will provide the least torque, but the most RPM’s. If you have a smaller bit, most likely it will break if you use a drill with high torque. The other end will provide the most torque but the lowest RPM’s. I hope this helps

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

Take a look at this Nick.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/drilling-boring/drill-press-speed-chart/

It’s a drill speed chart that I’ve had hanging by my drill press for years. It gives you the optimum speed for the bit, size of bit and material being drilled. Obviously you can’t be as exact on the speed with a hand held drill as a drill press but it will still give you a good idea of what kind of speed is best.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Brian, that helps. What i meant by the larger the bit was for example hole saw vs brad point not necessarily a 1/4 bit vs 1/2 bit. I think you picked up on that and yes that answer helps a bit. (no pun intended) ha

Profile photo of Nick
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Dan, nice chart, i like that a lot. Thanks

Thanks Dan
    Great chart

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

Glad you guys like the chart, I’ve found that chart to be very helpful over the years. I can’t even remember how old the prints are that are on my shop wall but I’ve certainly had them for awhile. It’s always my go-to reference when I’m doing something at the drill press.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

yeah, very helpful. I will most likely mount this in my work area soon.

I copied the chart and have a few copies in my toolbags. I presently have one taped to my tool box on my truck. it helped in many ways

Profile photo of John S
    supimeister

That is a really, really great chart – I echo these guys’ sentiments. Thanks Dan

John S
    Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

No problem guys, glad that you find it as useful as I do. I don’t remember not having it in my shop.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.794 seconds