dcsimg

Best design software

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of John S supimeister 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

what design software do you use?
    How easy is it to learn, is it affordable?

woodman_412

I use AutoCad and SketchUp. As I said in my article, SketchUp is easy to learn and it’s free. AutoCad is a different story though. It’s quite expensive and it takes awhile to learn it. I learned AutoCad in college and used it for 6 years working in architecture so it’s second nature to me now but it’s not really a program that you can just jump into and learn quickly like SketchUp.

I usually use AutoCad to produce my dimensioned construction drawings along with my sheet good layouts and cutting diagrams. I use SketchUp for developing the design and producing the marketing and presentation renderings.

manuelalbertodelfado@yahoo.com
    Participant
    Fresno, ca

Need to try it out. Sketch up

PaulRoberts
    Participant

I have downloaded SketchUp and watched a few youtub videos. I am sure it would be very useful, but I can sere there will be a lot of hours practicing before I am any good with it. It’s amazing that the software is free.

Rob
    Participant
    Birmingham, Alabama

We use “Chief Architect” and are very pleased with it. We tried ‘Soft Plan’ but didn’t like it as much.
    There are probably some free trial versions available.

redwood
    Participant

I also use “Chief Architect”. Has it’s quirks like any other software, but generally you are able to work around them.

Mark E.
    Los Gatos, CA
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com
    Calidecks64
    Participant
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I use Deckworks plugin on the Vectorworks platform

MRenes
    Participant
    Vienna, Missouri

Ive used sketchUP. It works pretty well for me. Chief Architect, looks awesome. Id really like to have that.

supimeister

Reviving this thread after hearing about Home Studio Design from Brad….

I recently downloaded sketch up and have been trying to have some fun with it! It is also amazing how many other things people have already designed and come up with that are similar to what I was thinking… I am hoping to learn more about how to import their designs and modify them for my needs, but it is an exciting program (AND free)

Not to mention Dan argues for the value of using SketchUp (or something) well here:

http://bethepro.com/construction-design-software/

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatar of John S John S.
    John S
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.720 seconds